Are we going to be turning our clocks back next month or not?

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I agree with you, but it gets tricky when parents have to still get to work early. Maybe everything should get pushed to start and end later.
I kind of remember our high school started at 7:20. That was way earlier than my parents work day start. I think that could have easily been moved an hour later and actually would have better synched with my parent's schedules. This would help for things like family breakfasts and maybe drop offs at school.

Some quick info I found:

The American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended that middle and high schools start at 8:30 a.m. or later to give students the opportunity to get the amount of sleep they need, but most American adolescents start school too early.

Report from the Sleep Foundation:

Later School Start Times: Benefits & Cons - Sleep Foundation

Couple of excerpts:

Many schools across the country are working to synchronize school clocks with students’ body clocks, so that teens are in school during their most alert hours and can achieve their full academic potential.

There are also safety issues for older students, since violent activities, sex, recreational use of alcohol or drugs, and criminal and other risky behaviors frequently occur between 2 and 4 pm.

Last edited by BostonRich; 10-14-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb1950 View Post
. . . Also, "getting out later in the afternoon to keep them out of trouble" is bogus.
Absolutely untrue.

There are also safety issues for older students, since violent activities, sex, recreational use of alcohol or drugs, and criminal and other risky behaviors frequently occur between 2 and 4 pm, according to data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:47 AM

As a teacher for many years, we need the time change. Kids going to school in pitch dark is dangerous. Not to say going to School now with the epidemic is not dangerous. But, let me reiterate going to school in pitch dark is Dangerous.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
The reason for this originally was for school children walk in g to school or taking the bus
Not even almost. It wasn't even a consideration. This was a work-schedule issue from the very start, and even the origins of DST, before it became DST, were work-schedule related. It had to do with ensuring that servants, serfs, and slaves would spend every waking hour actually working. The more daylight they forced on the work schedule, the longer that schedule could be and the more they could yank out of the worker's usefulness.

It's hard to pick vegetables out of the ground at night, or pack clay into bricks, when electricity hadn't been discovered yet and lamplight required animal fat, which required people to slaughter animals, which needed to be done when the butchers could actually see the creatures they were butchering.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:59 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

At least you have a senator like Rubio that is listening I cannot say that about a lot of the NY rep.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:56 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
The reason for this originally was for school children walk in g to school or taking the bus
Instead of disrupting the whole country why not just start school an hour later?
Old 10-15-2020, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
Did some research. Congress referred this legislation on 03/07/2019 to the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection and Commerce. Apparently the head of that subcommittee, Senator Maria Cantwell (D - Washington) has decided to just not act on it. There it sits collecting dust. Why should this one person decide to ignore what most of the country wants?
Yea, been asking the same question about Uncle Mitch for the last 4 years about IMPORTANT things..
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

No change means you can ski till 4 pm without getting too dark
Old 10-15-2020, 07:52 AM

We should stay on Standard Time, not DST. If we stay on DST all year it will still be dark at 0800 during the winter months. The Kiddies will be waiting for the school bus in the dark.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Some states such as Arizona have done this on their own. I'm not sure the congressional approval is necessary for a state to do it.

However if every state did something different, it would really make a mess. But time zones as they are currently drawn are quite a mess. Some states have little isolated areas that have decided to be in a different time zone. The Hoover Dam is in two different time zones and people that work there have to deal with that.

My idea would be to turn the clocks back a half hour everywhere and leave them alone. Of course, we'd have to get Arizona and any other states that are on permanent time to go along.

I'm not sure that I'd like to stay on DST here in this area. As it is, right now, it doesn't get light until 7:00 am. If I'm not mistaken, originally, the idea of changing the time was so that school children would be going to school in the dark in the morning. In places that have school busses, kids would be waiting at bus stops in the dark.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

My idea of paradise is it gets dark all year round at 6m and everyday of the year the temperature stays at 90
Old 10-15-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
My idea of paradise is it gets dark all year round at 6m and everyday of the year the temperature stays at 90
Federal law says a state can decide to stay on Standard Time all the time but to make DST standard needs congressional approval.

LINK: Nine states have taken step to stay on daylight saving time - Land Line
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, senator, loves, depressing, close

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.