We had no idea that there was such a big lake right above TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Sage
Default We had no idea that there was such a big lake right above TV

Relying primarily on our navigational system (rental car and I-phone) last year in THE VILLAGES.........not thinking to bring along a Florida paper road map, we had no idea that there was such a big lake right above THE VILLAGES in Marion County.

Instead we drove all the way over to see Mount Dora's lake and also Lake Tavares and the rest of the Chain of Lakes..........not realizing Lake Weir was right above us, a shorter distance as far as a morning drive went.

Has anyone, prior to buying in TV, looked at the homes around Lake Weir?
They seem to be promoting baby boomers who have big RV's, big boats, love kayacking or water sports, and motorcycles (which we do not have).

It says no HOA fees. The lake looks to have a small sandy beach.

What surprised me was that they claim they are 8 miles above THE VILLAGES and close to all the restaurants, shopping and medical facilities of The Villages.........

Just wondering about the quality of the place.......meaning construction of homes, general NOISE level with all the choppers, larger lots as they claim????

Thanks in advance for anyone brave enough to say they looked around Lake Weir..........which is very close to TV.

Last year I had inquired as to whether or not there was a place for my husband to keep his big boat (other than a storage parking lot), meaning a boat mooring, a deep water dock, etc.......I'm now wondering whether they can do that at Lake Weir? Mount Dora was mostly sailboats and bassboats.....smaller craft.

http://www.lakeweirliving.com/index.php

Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Sage

I haven't really looked at the lake, but have driven through the development Lake Weir Living. There are a number of homes built, but many more undeveloped lots than developed. We would pass through that area when visiting our children in St. Augustine.

It is only a few miles from TV, but it is also a few miles from anything else. Don't seem to be businesses, healthcare providers, recreation, except for the lake, theaters, golf courses, recreation centers....places for friends to get together for gatherings.

I guess the thing that Mike and I found disturbing was the sort of isolation homeowners seem to have there. Of course, this is just our feeling and those who live in the area most likely don't agree with us. Living near a huge lake is wonderful, but after a while, I wonder if it might just seem like not enough. Planning to do everything, shopping, scheduling visits for the dentist, eye doctor, etc. is something we all have to do, but here, it's easier to do since there are many providers close by. If one forgets to get something at the grocery store, it's just a quick trip to Publix, SweetBay or Winn Dixie by golf cart.
I realize that where you now live you don't have the easy golf cart accessibility to so many shops/services, but as we get older, it's nicer to be closer to the services we need, to be able to easily interact with others, to be surrounded with life, living and easier access to the things we like to do or might like to do.
Then again, some do enjoy a more quiet life, surrounded by nature, though there's plenty of that around here..... If that dam squirrel can't learn how to jump quietly from my roof to the birdcage, I'm going to take down the palm tree that's his ultimate goal....the creature has lead feet!!! . .
Old 10-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Two years ago the Lake Weir people advertised on here and it was a series of put downs to The Villages.

Can anyone tell Senior about THAT?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
I haven't really looked at the lake, but have driven through the development Lake Weir Living. There are a number of homes built, but many more undeveloped lots than developed. We would pass through that area when visiting our children in St. Augustine.

It is only a few miles from TV, but it is also a few miles from anything else. Don't seem to be businesses, healthcare providers, recreation, except for the lake, theaters, golf courses, recreation centers....places for friends to get together for gatherings.

I guess the thing that Mike and I found disturbing was the sort of isolation homeowners seem to have there. Of course, this is just our feeling and those who live in the area most likely don't agree with us. Living near a huge lake is wonderful, but after a while, I wonder if it might just seem like not enough. Planning to do everything, shopping, scheduling visits for the dentist, eye doctor, etc. is something we all have to do, but here, it's easier to do since there are many providers close by. If one forgets to get something at the grocery store, it's just a quick trip to Publix, SweetBay or Winn Dixie by golf cart.
I realize that where you now live you don't have the easy golf cart accessibility to so many shops/services, but as we get older, it's nicer to be closer to the services we need, to be able to easily interact with others, to be surrounded with life, living and easier access to the things we like to do or might like to do.
Then again, some do enjoy a more quiet life, surrounded by nature, though there's plenty of that around here..... If that dam squirrel can't learn how to jump quietly from my roof to the birdcage, I'm going to take down the palm tree that's his ultimate goal....the creature has lead feet!!! . .
I think your squirrel migrated to my back yard with his entire family.
They are all getting ready for the colder weather........

I understand exactly what you are saying about the Lake Weir area perhaps being isolated which I pretty much could picture myself......

What got me was they were riding on the coat tails of The Villages, saying that it was only 8 miles away (to medical care providers, shopping and restaurants).

My husband's idea of retirement heaven would be cruising on his boat , FISHING, rather than playing golf out in the heat. He originally bought the big boat for Boothbay Harbor or Camden Maine retirement living......or even York Harbor, Maine........he keeps saying he can sell it . I keep looking for a "home" for his boat.

Our town is close to everything; not isolated at all. It's a very small self contained town with its own hospital, two colleges, two supermarkets and all the doctors, etc. anyone would want.......a museum and historical landmarks. We also have a golf course and a country club. The town is surrounded by farmlands and the Green Mountain National Forest.....but we can't get around on golf carts. Nothing is more than a mile and is walkable if one wished to.........but hilly terrain. Not flat.

THANK YOU.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Two years ago the Lake Weir people advertised on here and it was a series of put downs to The Villages.

Can anyone tell Senior about THAT?
Thanks Gracie. Well, I'm NOT a motorcycle momma and I am pretty sure you are not either......so don't worry, I very much doubt if we'd buy or build at Lake Weir.......just was surprised that such a big lake was right above TV and we missed it. In the "olden days" we would have had our large state "paper" maps for the trip.

However, I still can't find the depth of the lake. Probably read right over it. I did read that it had a boat launch area......for trailered boats......

p.s. Hubby was impressed with the frequency of "ocean fishing trips" for the VILLAGES deep sea fishing club. They have quite a nice website here. His boat is o.k. on a big lake but more for ocean going.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

The best word to describe Lake Weir Living is desolate. The community is not on the lake.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Thanks Gracie. Well, I'm NOT a motorcycle momma and I am pretty sure you are not either......so don't worry, I very much doubt if we'd buy or build at Lake Weir.......just was surprised that such a big lake was right above TV and we missed it. In the "olden days" we would have had our large state "paper" maps for the trip.

However, I still can't find the depth of the lake. Probably read right over it. I did read that it had a boat launch area......for trailered boats......

p.s. Hubby was impressed with the frequency of "ocean fishing trips" for the VILLAGES deep sea fishing club. They have quite a nice website here. His boat is o.k. on a big lake but more for ocean going.
One of our seasonal Canadian neighbors does lots of deep sea fishing. More often than not, he's out with rod and reel, fishing. Not sure what group he's a part of but he and his wife are never lacking for fresh fish...

If hubby has a trailer hitch for transporting the boat, there are places to use it. Even a short drive to the St. John's River can get him fishing in short order. The river is beautiful and from watching all fishing near where we cross over it, there must be plenty to catch!
There are facilities near TV where one can store a boat, but there will be a monthly fee.

Sounds like you live in a wonderful spot, though winters can be tedious I bet. If being able to keep both a home there and one here is feasible, it might be something to consider, at least for a while. I enjoy the winter, though not the bone chilling cold, sleet, ice, heavy, deep snow, super dry air indoors when the heat is on, wet gloves, snow in your boots, layers and layers of clothing, .....did I say I liked winter....lolol...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post

Senior: Average depth of Lake Weir is 6 ft. This is not unusual for lakes in Florida as most of the lakes are shallow in nature. Another more important "thing" about Florida lakes----They are full of alligators! Not to alarm you or others but if you live on a lake in Florida you better have a keen awareness of the gators who often may sun at the edge of the lake and your yard and sometimes make their way up to your back door. On the positive side, the sunsets over a lake are very beautiful.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Gold member

Since Pooh covered the golf cart and lifestyle issues quite well, let me answer a few lake and boat issues.

Lake Weir is a popular lake for boaters and has a great modern public boat launch, but the lake is landlocked. Furthermore, there are no marinas on this lake, no slip or boat storage, and the one lakeside restaurant, ‘Gator Joes’ does not have a boat dock so you have to beach your boat to dine there.

On the other hand, the Harris Chain of Lakes which consists of lakes Harris, Griffin, Eustis, Dora, and Beauclair are all interconnected by a series of rivers, canals, and locks. In fact you can travel by boat from Mt. Dora all the way to Jacksonville near the Florida border by using these waterways which connect to the Oklawaha and St. Johns rivers.

The chain of lakes also has numerous marinas with wet and dry boat storage and at least 10 waterfront restaurants and bars. For boating camaraderie, there’s the Triangle Boat Club which has a waterfront clubhouse right in the middle of the chain of lakes and are always looking for new members and has inexpensive membership fees.

Last edited by EdV; 10-11-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Default Carney Island Park

There is a lovely county park on Lake Weir -- Carney Island Recreation & Conservation Area
with a very large boat launch/parking area, netted sand beach, picnic pavilions and beautiful views. It's a 15-mile bicycle ride from The Villages, probably a little shorter by car.

The website MCBCC | Parks and Recreation | Carney Island tells the interesting history of the park --
" Many Seminoles settled in the Lake Weir area where they farmed and raised livestock. In the 1800’s, the lake was named in honor of U.S. Army Lieutenant Weir, who was killed near the lake’s banks by the Seminole Indians in the early 1800’s. In 1875, Captain John L. Carney and his brother E.L. Carney purchased the land now known as Carney Island" -- for citrus farming -- later bought by Coca-Cola, then donated/sold to the county. There are large areas of abandoned citrus groves lining the long entry road. Very peaceful and quiet every time we have been there.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Platinum member

Senior:

Lake Weir seems to have much less boat traffic on it than you would think. Yes, it looks like an ideal place for such acivity, but my many trips flying over it with my brother, or dining on Gator Joe's outside decks, have shown little boating.

To some part, I think that's due to the fact that most residents on the lake's shore are NOT in the yacht-owning class!

I agree with Pooh that it is somewhat "isolated!"

I agree with EdVinMass that the chain of lakes [Griffin, Harris, et al] offers a real boater more opportunities!

SWR
Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
The best word to describe Lake Weir Living is desolate. The community is not on the lake.
Very popular restaurant right on the lake is Gator Joes in Ockalawa which claim to fame is the town where the G Men gunned down Ma Barker and her gang.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Very popular restaurant right on the lake is Gator Joes in Ockalawa which claim to fame is the town where the G Men gunned down Ma Barker and her gang.
No kidding? I didn't know that. You are amazing Shimpy!!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No kidding? I didn't know that.
Here are some details, Gracie, complete with address. Mapquest shows the address as on the north side of Lake Weir, between se 131st and 132nd. Happy hunting! (I wonder if there is a marker there?)

FBI Agents discovered the hideout of Ma Barker and her son, Fred, after Arthur "Doc" Barker was arrested in Chicago on January 8, 1935. A map found in his possession indicated that the other gang members were in Ocklawaha, Florida. Agents surrounded the house at 13250 East Highway C-25 on the morning of January 16, 1935. Ordered to surrender, Fred opened fire; both he and his mother were killed by federal agents after an intense, hours-long gun-battle. According to the FBI, a Tommy gun was found lying in the hands of Ma Barker.[4] Their bodies were put on public display, and then stored unclaimed, until October 1, 1935, when relatives had them buried—at Williams Timberhill Cemetery in Welch, Oklahoma[5]—next to the body of Herman Barker.

Edit: Found it's for sale:
Gator Joe's Beach Bar and Grill in Ocklawaha, Florida was named after a large alligator that lived in Lake Weir. The FBI killed Fred and Ma Barker in Ocklawaha, Florida (Marion County), after the FBI discovered "Ma" by tracking letters she sent to her other son, telling him about "Gator Joe". The restaurant's website displays a wanted poster for the Barker-Karpis gang.[10]
The Barker deathhouse in Ocklawaha, Florida was listed for sale on August 16, 2012. Offers on the Florida property are being accepted through October 5, with a suggested minimum of $1 million. Furniture is included.
In reality, they're different!

Last edited by CaptJohn; 10-09-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
Senior:

Lake Weir seems to have much less boat traffic on it than you would think. Yes, it looks like an ideal place for such acivity, but my many trips flying over it with my brother, or dining on Gator Joe's outside decks, have shown little boating.

To some part, I think that's due to the fact that most residents on the lake's shore are NOT in the yacht-owning class!

I agree with Pooh that it is somewhat "isolated!"

I agree with EdVinMass that the chain of lakes [Griffin, Harris, et al] offers a real boater more opportunities!

SWR
Thank you. I appreciate your input, as well as everyone else who posted.

Ours is not a yacht; just a 25 foot Bayliner with cuddy cabin, good for Lake Champlain or the ocean. It is outfitted with all modern "stuff".
Bought for fishing.

In whatever photos I managed to find on Lake Weir, I didn't see any boats.....so "I hear you".

Last thing I'd want to be is in an isolated place where the homes are few and far between due to "lack of building".......sometimes folks buy the land and never get around to building on it. Again, I was just surprised that there was a larger body of water right north of TV.

The lakes we saw as part of the "chain of lakes" were very nice and they were amazing........bigger than we expected them to be. Just like any other part of the country, it often takes many trips to scout out the surrounding areas.

Again, thanks to all who responded.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.