Hope this is the right forum

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Hope this is the right forum

What is the minimum age one has to be to drive a golf cart without a grandparent or parent along?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Sage
Smile

I think it's 35.... Yeah... I'm pretty sure it is....
Old 06-25-2011, 05:56 AM
Sage

Nah...I'm just messing with you....
Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Sage

Minimum age to drive a golf cart is 14 and there is no legal restriction saying you have to be with a licensed driver or not.

Practically speaking, I sure hope there is an adult with an unlicensed 14-18 yr old.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

This has been discussed here before...but there are instances where children have been observed driving (w/o adult supervision) and they have no business in doing so. Fourteen, sometimes is even too young depending on the individual. Golf-carts are not "toys" and consider that they are sharing the roads with cars and trucks!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Head's Up

Please know that driving a golf cart can be a tricky business for an adult and many times a child does not have good judgment. There have been 10 golf cart deaths in the last 5 years and they were adults.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

14 is the minimum age to drive a golf cart on the trails and golf course's. However if you drive it on any street, like maybe down a Bailey Trail where there are beside the road golf cart lanes, I was told you need to be 16 and have a valid drivers license. And you are then subject to all the same laws that car drivers are. Check with your insurance company. Also there is a long thread started by talk host that discussed this subject.

I liked the 35 answer best.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Sage

L2... That's the first time I have heard or read that you have to be a licensed driver to operate golf cart in a lane on public road. I would have to see that officially in writing ... I think you got some bad info.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

In my opinion NO ONE should be driving a golf cart unless he or she has a valid driver's license. We, in our golf carts, when not on golf cart paths, have to obey the same rules of the road as any other vehicle. It boggles my mind as to the common sense behind the "14-year old" rule! I can't think of ANY reason to turn any unlicensed driver loose on a golf cart.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
In my opinion NO ONE should be driving a golf cart unless he or she has a valid driver's license. We, in our golf carts, when not on golf cart paths, have to obey the same rules of the road as any other vehicle. It boggles my mind as to the common sense behind the "14-year old" rule! I can't think of ANY reason to turn any unlicensed driver loose on a golf cart.
What about people that have never had a driver's license? Yes, they do need to know and understand the rules and laws of driving to operate a golf cart (in fact, many of them already do) but can do that without obtaining an official driver's license. I would seriously doubt that most of those who have been in golf cart accidents were unlicensed. Some who do not even own a car, have never driven or owned a car, would have to either purchase one or borrow one to take the test. I know many from New York City, for instance, who didn't have or drive cars there....no need.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 06-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
What about people that have never had a driver's license? Yes, they do need to know and understand the rules and laws of driving to operate a golf cart (in fact, many of them already do) but can do that without obtaining an official driver's license. I would seriously doubt that most of those who have been in golf cart accidents were unlicensed. Some who do not even own a car, have never driven or owned a car, would have to either purchase one or borrow one to take the test. I know many from New York City, for instance, who didn't have or drive cars there....no need.
I understand what you are saying but I stand by my post. Unlicensed older golf cart drivers should have to take the same test regarding the laws, that we who drive cars and trucks have to know and abide by. How else can they hope to travel safely on cart paths here? Some are on the same streets and roads as other regular vehicular traffic. I MIGHT be willing to cut a little slack to those older folks who do not drive regular vehicles any longer, IF they at one time did have a license. My main objection is to anyone who has never had a driver's license being allowed to drive a golf cart here....let alone the fact that an unlicensed child CAN get behind the wheel and drive on the same roads that I travel in my car. MY grandchildren beg to take our cart to the pool, etc. It's just not going to happen until he or she shows me a driver's license!

Last edited by VillagesFlorida; 06-26-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
I understand what you are saying but I stand by my post. Unlicensed older golf cart drivers should have to take the same test regarding the laws, that we who drive cars and trucks have to know and abide by. How else can they hope to travel safely on cart paths here? Some are on the same streets and roads as other regular vehicular traffic. I MIGHT be willing to cut a little slack to those older folks who do not drive regular vehicles any longer, IF they at one time did have a license. My main objection is to anyone who has never had a driver's license being allowed ro drive a golf cart here....let alone the fact that an unlicensed child CAN get behind the wheel and drive on the same roads that I travel in my car. MY grandchildren beg to take our cart to the pool, etc. It's just not going to happen until he or she shows me a driver's license!
IMO, it is hard to disagree with this logic. I have always been preplexed by the idea that someone who has no idea about the "rules of the roads" or does not have the experience of driving a car is prepared to drive a golf cart around TV.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

I asked the question originally because my grandson who is 16 and has a driver's license in NJ is coming to visit and I did not want to break the law by allowing him to drive a cart if it is illegal. You can be sure I will check him out in the cart before I allow him to drive it alone. He is very responsible and as long as he can legally drive it, I don't see any reason to not allow him that privilege.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

14 ??? I was still on potty training at 14.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
I understand what you are saying but I stand by my post. Unlicensed older golf cart drivers should have to take the same test regarding the laws, that we who drive cars and trucks have to know and abide by. How else can they hope to travel safely on cart paths here? Some are on the same streets and roads as other regular vehicular traffic. I MIGHT be willing to cut a little slack to those older folks who do not drive regular vehicles any longer, IF they at one time did have a license. My main objection is to anyone who has never had a driver's license being allowed ro drive a golf cart here....let alone the fact that an unlicensed child CAN get behind the wheel and drive on the same roads that I travel in my car. MY grandchildren beg to take our cart to the pool, etc. It's just not going to happen until he or she shows me a driver's license!
VillagesFlorida,
You make very good points. It surprised me when I first learned that 14-year-olds could legally drive carts on the roads here. Perhaps it does make sense in small, gated communities. But in TV:
  • There is often more traffic in the cart lanes than in the car lanes.
  • Many of our seasonal residents are unfamiliar with the roads and make mistakes.
  • Some Villagers confess they forget they are in their cars and get in the cart lane.
  • We have 80k residents going on 105k.
This situation seems unsafe for unlicensed and inexperienced adolescents to drive carts here.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.