We lost another dog.

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default We lost another dog.

Another dog snatched from yard by a coyote.

This happened very late last night (7-27-2017) to a favorite dog at Doggie Doo Run Run. Occurred south of Sumter Landing though.

Still very raw for its owners so will not go into details unless the owners choose to share this with the public via some other media.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Another dog snatched from yard by a coyote.

This happened very late last night (7-27-2017) to a favorite dog at Doggie Doo Run Run. Occurred south of Sumter Landing though.

Still very raw for its owners so will not go into details unless the owners choose to share this with the public via some other media.
I am very sad to hear this.

The last time there was a thread of coyotes, there was a picture of a ripped screen on a lanai that was obviously not one of our lanai's here in The Villages. I see nothing wrong with people being very careful of their pets and children but I don't like rumors spread that are incorrect. And alarms raised that are bogus. Do you know these folks personally, Tal or just heard of them?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Eternal Member

It happened "very late at night"? Was the dog let out without a short leash to do it's business?

What kind of dog? Exactly where did this happen? Was the owner outside with the dog when it happened?

Naturally, everyone is sorry for pet owners to lose a pet but ...

Gracie is right - as in most things - that rumors and bogus alerts are not helpful to anyone. It is always best to have full facts available before posting.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Sage

I know these people who own the dog well from Doggie Doo Run Run. This is from a phone call made from one of the owners to another dog park regular from the person who opened the door to let out the dog to pee about 3:30 AM and then heard the dog being carried off by an animal of some kind. That's all the details I have except that the other owner of the pooch was crying in the background during the call. I assume the dog was not on a leash when it was let out to pee. It is also probably a coyote that did this.

The Village is Pennecamp.

Both of these people are devasted, of course, by the loss of the dog as are the many people at Doggie Doo Run Run who know these dogs. They have three but the little guy was the one who needed to pee.

I take a golf club when I go out at night and have the dog on a very short leash. And there definitely are coyotes out at night here in Lynnhaven.

They may not want to talk about this to the press because of the mistake that was made probably by someone half-asleep. And I expect that they may want to keep this private for the most part so I should not say anything more than this.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-27-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Unfortunately, the stories occur everywhere. I lived in a suburb of Chicago, and owners were surprised that coyotes even existed there. But the reality is that they adapt quickly to just about any environment and we need to make adjustments in tending to our pets. Even though this link is about the suburbs it applies here also.

Chicago Suburb Announces Plan to 'Coexist' With Coyotes - NBC Chicago

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Unfortunately, the stories occur everywhere. I lived in a suburb of Chicago, and owners were surprised that coyotes even existed there. But the reality is that they adapt quickly to just about any environment and we need to make adjustments in tending to our pets. Even though this link is about the suburbs it applies here also.

Chicago Suburb Announces Plan to 'Coexist' With Coyotes - NBC Chicago

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
It is hard when it is a dog I would see sometimes ever day and a good friend of Beau. He will be missed by just about everyone at Doggie Doo Run Run from the big dog and big field areas. The pooch would hang around with his much bigger sisters. I will remember 7/27/2017 the rest of my life and with quite a lot of disappointment and sadness. And the lost dog happens to be named after a character on Game of Thrones which will be extra hard for these two people when trying to watch this show in the future.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

YIKE's So Sad.....
Old 07-27-2017, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

We keep reading about coyotes in The Villages but no photos. All our cell phones and no photos. A bunch of us were playing Saddlebrook one day, and a bobcat sauntered by. Snap and here it is. Let's get some coyote pics.

The Villages Florida

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 10:31 PM
Dancing Thyme

I'm sorry to hear that Tal. It must be so upsetting for that family. I am constantly aware of these wild animals where my dogs are concerned and my greatest fear is losing one of them in this manner. My friend has a small dog who loves to go out the doggie door and although there is some fencing around his house, I worry that a predator might be lurking some day and I advise him all the time to close the doggie door overnight. Some night when I come home late from dancing, I do see coyotes lurking around the streets and it scares me to death. Sorry for the loss of that precious pet.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 07-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default yikes

I had no idea this was happening in peoples yards. I guess I thought a CV would eliminate this problem.
This is my little Gracie Girl. I know she is old but I don't want her to go in that cruel way. When she crossed the rainbow bridge i want her to be held in my arms.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 07-27-2017, 11:21 PM
Veteran member

trap them
Old 07-27-2017, 11:43 PM
Platinum member
Smile Photo safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
We keep reading about coyotes in The Villages but no photos. All our cell phones and no photos. A bunch of us were playing Saddlebrook one day, and a bobcat sauntered by. Snap and here it is. Let's get some coyote pics.

The Villages Florida

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Coyotes tend to be nocturnal in heavily populated areas, so opportunities for photos would be limited.

Someone might want to launch a photo shoot at night with a quality camera instead of a cell phone. Maybe two people; one to walk the dog on a leash and the other to take the photos.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Coyotes tend to be nocturnal in heavily populated areas, so opportunities for photos would be limited.

Someone might want to launch a photo shoot at night with a quality camera instead of a cell phone. Maybe two people; one to walk the dog on a leash and the other to take the photos.
I am still sticking with the golf club Carl in Tampa when out in the late afternoon and late evening. A five club also makes a good cane of sorts with its convenient handle. Also use a very short leash and keep eyes scanning around for critters.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:05 AM
Sage

Taurus Judge with 5 410 shells-PDF loads--lots of times Coyotes run in packs
Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 AM
Platinum member

Don't forget the owls and hawks. Huge wingspans and can lift small pets.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, run, owners, raw, details

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.