We never were "America's Healthiest Hometown"

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Sage
Default We never were "America's Healthiest Hometown"

It was all just a big PR fabrication. Remember the USF Health survey that was supposed to be "proof" that we were "America's Healthiest Hometown"? Well, no, it didn't prove any such thing, so forget about it.

All the while they were calling the Villages, "America's Healthiest Hometown", Sumter was only the 20th healthiest county in the state as of 2010 and slowly moving up because we were importing healthier residents from other states. In other words, the Villages was growing fast and the new residents were healthier than the general population that existed (overall) in the county.

You can read about it on the front page of today's Daily Sun (March 30, 2015) Sumter county is now ranked 7th for overall health factors. Do they list the counties that beat us? No! Do they congratulate the winner? No! Was there any mention of how we might learn from the counties that did better than Sumter? No!

Instead, The Villages is busy taking credit for Sumter county having moved up to seventh place, and it's all positive spin control.

If we are only 7th in Florida, where are we nationally?

I'll see if I can find out more about how the rankings were achieved? The article stated: "2015 national County Health Rankings analysis published by the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute."

http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/blog/see-key-findings-our-2015-rankings (link not working)

Last edited by Villages PL; 03-30-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

Why don't you find out and let us know?

I never once heard The Villages say it is the healthiest COUNTY. They say hometown. Unless you have something to prove it wrong. are you just stirring the pot?

Cheers.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
It was all just a big PR fabrication. Remember the USF Health survey that was supposed to be "proof" that we were "America's Healthiest Hometown"? Well, no, it didn't prove any such thing, so forget about it.

All the while they were calling the Villages, "America's Healthiest Hometown", Sumter was only the 20th healthiest county in the state as of 2010 and slowly moving up because we were importing healthier residents from other states. In other words, the Villages was growing fast and the new residents were healthier than the general population that existed (overall) in the county.

You can read about it on the front page of today's Daily Sun (March 30, 2015) Sumter county is now ranked 7th for overall health factors. Do they list the counties that beat us? No! Do they congratulate the winner? No! Was there any mention of how we might learn from the counties that did better than Sumter? No!

Instead, The Villages is busy taking credit for Sumter county having moved up to seventh place, and it's all positive spin control.

Was there any mention of how the rankings were achieved? Not as far as I can tell. I'll see if I can find out more. The article stated: "2015 national County Health Rankings analysis published by the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute." Perhaps someone might find it and provide a link.
Good questions...BTW, for all intent and purposes, we are Sumter County!!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:

Was there any mention of how the rankings were achieved? Not as far as I can tell. I'll see if I can find out more. The article stated: "2015 national County Health Rankings analysis published by the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute." Perhaps someone might find it and provide a link.
Didn't you start a previous thread on this topic??
BTW who really cares??
Old 03-30-2015, 10:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Didn't you start a previous thread on this topic??
BTW who really cares??
I don't!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

So what's the point ?
Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Why don't you find out and let us know?

I never once heard The Villages say it is the healthiest COUNTY. They say hometown. Unless you have something to prove it wrong. are you just stirring the pot?

Cheers.
Good question. If you read the article, maybe you can tell me why the article acts as if Sumter is The Villages when we are actually in 3 counties, not just Sumter. And it's not just the reporter but the head of the Villages Health Clinics that seems to have the same mind set.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Sumter County has the highest average age of any county in the country, I believe. Since health generally diminishes with age, it is probably quite an accomplishment that Sumter is where it is.

Quote:

I'll see if I can find out more about how the rankings were achieved? The article stated: "2015 national County Health Rankings analysis published by the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute."

http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/blog/see-key-findings-our-2015-rankings (link not working)
Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 AM

Okay. Thanks for the info, I guess. Although as others have asked, I don't understand your point.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Good questions...BTW, for all intent and purposes, we are Sumter County!!
Here's another question: Being that we are in 3 counties, do we get to cherry pick the county with the best ranking? Or do we pick Sumter because we are a large part of Sumter.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
BTW who really cares??
You do.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Sumter County has the highest average age of any county in the country, I believe. Since health generally diminishes with age, it is probably quite an accomplishment that Sumter is where it is.
According to this site Marion County ranks #38, Sumter #7 and Lake #16 within the state of Florida. http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/.../2015/overview

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-30-2015, 10:49 AM
Veteran member

Catch phrase is better than no catch phrase. Let's keep on dreaming and maybe the wish will indeed come true. People gravitate towards catch phrases especially positive ones even if it doesn't come true. Look at politics. Anyone watch "Mad Men"? Admen make millions coming up with catch phrases. That's o.k.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
So what's the point ?
The point was plainly stated.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
....If you read the article, maybe you can tell me why the article acts as if Sumter is The Villages when we are actually in 3 counties, not just Sumter....
Because the population of The Villages in Sumter County, is far greater than the other two counties. That is why I said, for all intent and purposes, The Villages is Sumter County.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.