We never were "America's Healthiest Hometown"

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Platinum member

How do you know that the rest of the county was responsible for the poor showing of 27th? Are the statistics broken down by those who live in The Villages and those who don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I just learned something about the rankings. There are two parts: 1) health factors - rank 7th. & 2) health outcomes - rank 27th.

I was just told that they didn't report the health outcomes because the rest of the county is responsible for the poor showing of 27th.

But you suggested that age is a big factor. If most of the other communities in Sumter are younger, why would they be pulling us down? Wouldn't they be pulling us up?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanna630 View Post
I agree with Ziggie and I don't understand the rather unpleasant comments. If you are not interested, why comment at all? I thought it was interesting, however.
I must admit I'm a bit uncertain who you're accusing of being "unpleasant". If you read the OP, it's negative from the title to the last word.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
It was all just a big PR fabrication. Remember the USF Health survey that was supposed to be "proof" that we were "America's Healthiest Hometown"? Well, no, it didn't prove any such thing, so forget about it.

All the while they were calling the Villages, "America's Healthiest Hometown", Sumter was only the 20th healthiest county in the state as of 2010 and slowly moving up because we were importing healthier residents from other states. In other words, the Villages was growing fast and the new residents were healthier than the general population that existed (overall) in the county.

You can read about it on the front page of today's Daily Sun (March 30, 2015) Sumter county is now ranked 7th for overall health factors. Do they list the counties that beat us? No! Do they congratulate the winner? No! Was there any mention of how we might learn from the counties that did better than Sumter? No!

Instead, The Villages is busy taking credit for Sumter county having moved up to seventh place, and it's all positive spin control.

If we are only 7th in Florida, where are we nationally?

I'll see if I can find out more about how the rankings were achieved? The article stated: "2015 national County Health Rankings analysis published by the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute."

http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/blog/see-key-findings-our-2015-rankings (link not working)
Apparently it was a marketing slogan that was untrue. We've learned to take a lot of things that we hear around here with a grain of salt.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanna630 View Post
I agree with Ziggie and I don't understand the rather unpleasant comments. If you are not interested, why comment at all? I thought it was interesting, however.
Oh, but we are interested. Many of us are interested in debating certain statements when they are presented as facts, or skewed to appear to be facts, or being told what we should or shouldn't eat/do/think, and why.

When I was relatively new to the forum, I learned a lot about posters by reading their former posts. You can left-click on their name above a post and pull down a menu that includes "Find all posts by" that person. You can decide if a poster has an agenda, and whether or not you feel that a poster's presentations are reliable or are just being used to justify or further his or her agenda, and whether or not they're jumping on anything they find online to address their favorite viewpoint or even just stir the pot to start a debate.

So please don't accuse us of being disinterested. We have heard a lot from each other down through the years, and sometimes we just feel the need to present another side. Or we're tired of the same-ole same-ole and wish to voice our our opinion about that. That's everyone's right on this forum.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,597 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Apparently it was a marketing slogan that was untrue. We've learned to take a lot of things that we hear around here with a grain of salt.
/////
Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,597 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Oh, but we are interested. Many of us are interested in debating certain statements when they are presented as facts, or skewed to appear to be facts, or being told what we should or shouldn't eat/do/think, and why.

When I was relatively new to the forum, I learned a lot about posters by reading their former posts. You can left-click on their name above a post and pull down a menu that includes "Find all posts by" that person. You can decide if a poster has an agenda, and whether or not you feel that a poster's presentations are reliable or are just being used to justify or further his or her agenda, and whether or not they're jumping on anything they find online to address their favorite viewpoint or even just stir the pot to start a debate.

So please don't accuse us of being disinterested. We have heard a lot from each other down through the years, and sometimes we just feel the need to present another side. Or we're tired of the same-ole same-ole and wish to voice our our opinion about that. That's everyone's right on this forum.
bump
Old 03-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Platinum member

I could be wrong, but didn't the marketing say that we want to become America's Healthiest Hometown? Thus the hospital expansion, the recruitment of Marcus Welby's, and the creation of the Villages Health System.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Sage
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,124 Posts

If we are really worried about our health maybe need to evaluate our activity. If we got big beer belly maybe belly up all night might not be healthy activity. If we can hardly get out of the golf cart and waddy over to the ball, maybe we need to walk the courses more?
If we never miss happy hour and our liver is dying, maybe we better skip few happy hours.

Even if I am picture of health don't mean my neighbor cares how the area ranks.

IMO overall considering the age people In The villages villagers are pretty healthy and the village health care system activity seeks good health, but it's up to the individual in the end. So the catchy phrase has merit, but not all partisipate
Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

Well said CFrance.
Some of us are very interested in topics about health, but we don't necessarily agree with the OP.
This is a forum - it's a place for us to give our opinions and debate issues.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:35 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 2,107 Times in 766 Posts

This is a weighty topic. Too, there are smoking guns. Neither are healthful issues.

β€œTo argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.