Comcast Rate Hike

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Default Comcast Rate Hike

Does anyone know if Comcast has recently raised their rates? My bill was $ 6.00 higher and I have changed nothing to my service.* Thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Default Re: Comcast Rate Hike

Not a resident YET, k555honda, but would you be so kind as to inform us "Villagers wanna-bees" what the going rate for Comcast is? It would be great appreciated.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Comcast/DirecTV

I had DirecTV "up north" for many years before I moved to TV. I knew that DIrecTV would relocate all my service for no cost, but I decided to check out Comcast. The woman at the number I dialed in TV for Comcast was freindly, but forewarned me that I would experience far more service interruptions because of rain storms, lightning, sunspots, or whatever with a dish than I ever did up north. So I bit and had Comcast installed. Little did I know at the time that "Comcast" in TV is actually a department of TV that arranges cable installation for Comcast for a fee.

What a mistake!

I quickly found that Comcast in central Florida is waaay behind much of the rest of the country in their technology. Their digital DVR's are like horse and buggy compared to the TiVo I had been used to. And all those ads for services like "On Demand" or digital phone--forget it in TV. After some questioning of the local Comcast reps, they admitted that they will have to materially upgrade their cable and their head-end servers before any of those services are available in TV, or in central Florida for that matter. Even the local Comcast programming is second-rate, particularly in the sports area.

I beat a hot path back to DirecTV, and thankfully so. They did hook me up for no cost, and very professionally, at that. Their DVR's are worlds better than Comcast, although still not in the class of TiVo for ease of use and capability. Their programming is better. And although we're not in TV for the heavy thunderstorm season in the summer months, we had less interference during the ten months of the year we are there than we experienced in north suburban Chicago. My comparison at the time was that the cost for similar programming and equipment was about the same.

Needless to say, I recommend DirecTV!
Old 07-29-2007, 05:59 AM
Eternal Member

Apparently there has been a rate hike. We have Comcast cable and high speed internet service and our overall bill increased ~$4.00 last month.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:00 AM
Platinum member

My daughter has Direct TV in NC. She said they cannot receive MSNBC. Is that correct? I Like MSNBC especially in the morning.
Tampa, FL
Old 07-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Sage

Kahuna.... did you keep Comcast for high speed internet??? I have been mulling dumping Comcast for the Embarq bundle of satellite TV and DSL....from both cost and performance standpoint. My comcast internet seems slower than I was used to up north. There are a number of intermittant pauses between hitting the enter button and getting a response, like the system is busy.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:54 AM

I have always had comcast high speed and cable tv. Never had a problem. Friendly courteous AMERICAN speaking help on the phone when you have a question. We lived in So Fl and had comcast there too. I see no difference in central florida. Comcast is Excellent !!!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Villages07, I Kept The Comcast Broadband

Yes, I maintained Comcast for my high-speed internet. When you don't buy the broadband in a bundle, they jack the price up, but I still think it's faster and more reliable than DSL. I haven't done any research lately, but a couple of years ago it was not technologically possible for DSL to be anywhere near as fast as cable-delivered high-speed internet. I'm not certain if that's still correct.

I also have Comcast broadband at our summer place up north. With a little advanced planning and communication, I was able to maintain my same Comcast e-mail address at both houses, even though I place one or the other on "vacation hold" when I'm not there.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Can you explain the "vacation Hold" for comcast here in TV?? What are the reconnect charges?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.