Wearing a Safety Helmet

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2018, 05:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Wearing a Safety Helmet

I have observed that most people who Cycle here in The Villages wear a Safety Helmet.

On the other hand I have also observed most people who ride a Motorcycle do Not wear a Safety Helmet.

It is honestly Astounding to me that an individual would get on a Motorcycle without first putting on a Safety Helmet.

Why would a person not wear a Safety Helmet ?

Sort of like Diving into the shallow end of a pool...I don't get it.

Last edited by 600th Photo Sq; 02-18-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Totally different things. Riding a bike, if you’re in an accident, with a helmet you have a chance of surviving. If you’re driving a motorcycle, you probably won’t survive, with or without a helmet. Simple answer.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:22 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,311 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Totally different things. Riding a bike, if you’re in an accident, with a helmet you have a chance of surviving. If you’re driving a motorcycle, you probably won’t survive, with or without a helmet. Simple answer.

Sorta like the old excuse by people who wont wear seat belts..."oh, ill brace myself before i hit a car"..."oh but if your car is on fire, you wont get out". Not all motorcycle accidents are fatal but a head trauma from falling might very well be.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

I think a lot of that is generational. Many of us grew up without helmets, knee or elbow pads or other protective devices. Insurance rates not withstanding, it is a personal choice. Many states have tried to mandate helmet laws and have had to modify to not interfere with individual freedom. Some will say we have evolved which is why the laws exist, some will say there has been so much fear instilled in our kids and grand kids that they want those decisions made for them and others want nothing to do with rules and regulations that interfere with their enjoyment of whatever they do. As with most things human, what one of us believes another will scoff at. Follow your own compass and let others follow theirs.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I think a lot of that is generational. Many of us grew up without helmets, knee or elbow pads or other protective devices. Insurance rates not withstanding, it is a personal choice. Many states have tried to mandate helmet laws and have had to modify to not interfere with individual freedom. Some will say we have evolved which is why the laws exist, some will say there has been so much fear instilled in our kids and grand kids that they want those decisions made for them and others want nothing to do with rules and regulations that interfere with their enjoyment of whatever they do. As with most things human, what one of us believes another will scoff at. Follow your own compass and let others follow theirs.
Beautifully said.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:48 PM

This is a generalization and may not be true only my opinion. I was an amateur triathlete and long distance bicycle rider I always wore a helmet. For the most part I think bicyclists are more health conscious than motorcycle riders with that said it makes sense that a bicyclist is more apt to use a helmet. Ok I’ll duck now and sorry if I’ve offended any motorcyclist
Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Hopefully, motorcycles riders without helmets carry a lot of insurance.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Funny think I when on day trip in bus which sets higher than 18 wheeler drivers, so I was looking down into vehicles passing by, Can't believe how may people was texting on bumper to bumper Freeway traffic, one guy was pulling big 5th wheel RV inches away as we passed and was texting away.

I think we need to were knee pad, elbow pads, shoulder Pads, and helmets while doing any exercise including walking. Some clutches need to were them around the house. But, the Most important safety Law should be NO Texting While ***&&% driving. In this computer age you would think that Texting in car could be blocked. Just wait few more years as it gets worse. People of all ages now can't go 5 mins without pulling the damn Phone out. UFB. But, maybe by then we will have Driverless cars that Don't Crash and Kill somebody that's not on phone and watching were they are going.
Closed Thread

Tags
safety, helmet, wear, motorcycle, observed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.