Weather Warnings

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Location: Hacienda snowflakes 2009-2013. Hacienda frogs January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Last night at about 8 PM our house in El Cortez was hit by lightning! Ouch....it went right thru electric panel, now have hole in attic over garage roof, waiting for electrician so we can turn power back on. Fast response by Lake County fire dept. 8 trucks, lots of personnel. No flames, lots of smoke.
Happened just as we were about to turn on TV to watch the Bruins crush the Canucks ! Saw the last period in hotel room.
Ah, but it's another beautiful day in The Villages !
Listen to the warnings.
Mudder - Glad no one was hurt !! Hope the damage is minimal and is repaired quickly.
That lightning strike must have been what I saw from our kitchen window. I had just gotten back from walking the dog, saw the flash, heard the sound a millisecond later and jumped out of my chair - as did the cat who freaked out.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=krys;362921]Mudder - Glad no one was hurt !! Hope the damage is minimal and is repaired quickly.

Me too.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Sage
Default Just kidding around.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by krys View Post
Mudder - Glad no one was hurt !! Hope the damage is minimal and is repaired quickly.
That lightning strike must have been what I saw from our kitchen window. I had just gotten back from walking the dog, saw the flash, heard the sound a millisecond later and jumped out of my chair - as did the cat who freaked out.
Out walking your dog that close to a storm? I say this with ZERO intent of offending but are you ?

If my dog Caly has to go out in a storm like that, I open the door a crack, I tell her I am not coming along, so to be quick and stay low
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 AM

The Code Red phone warning appears to be broadcast only when there appears to be imminent danger in our IMMEDIATE vicinity . . . . like it's the last thing you'll hear before you get struck by lightning.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Mudder. I am glad you are O.K.! Very GLAD!

Kudos for your lovely positive attitude. You are wonderful folks.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Last night at about 8 PM our house in El Cortez was hit by lightning! Ouch....it went right thru electric panel, now have hole in attic over garage roof, waiting for electrician so we can turn power back on. Fast response by Lake County fire dept. 8 trucks, lots of personnel. No flames, lots of smoke.
Happened just as we were about to turn on TV to watch the Bruins crush the Canucks ! Saw the last period in hotel room.
Listen to the warnings.
I'm so glad you and yours are okay! Glad that you had such a quick response. Firefighters could make sure there was nothing smoldering.

Hope all is fixed quickly. Thanks for letting us know and again, very happy you are okay.

Pat
Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Listen to the warnings.
Oh Mudder,
What a scary experience! I'm so very glad you're OK. Hurray for your positive attitude!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Default Lightning Protection

About three hours before the Boston Bruins raised the Stanley Cup on June 15th two Village residents reported direct strikes to their homes. In these cases there was no damage as each home was protected by a lightning protection system (LPS) commonly called lightning rods. This is the sixth and seventh cases of homeowners reporting similar such experience. LPS do work if their are designed, installed, and maintained according to the national standard and installed by contractors who are "listed" by Underwriters Laboratories and/or the Lightning Protection Institute. For more information see Univ of Florida professor Martin Uman's book the "Art & Science of Lightning Protection" in the local library and the back issues of the Lightning Matters columns that can befound at the POA website.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

The house I bought (re-sale) in Glenbrook already had the LPS (lightning rods) installed on it. The former owner was an electrical engineer who respected the power of electricity. Neighbors on both sides also have the same 3 rod LPS as mine.

With this area being such a prime "target" for lightning strikes, I am really glad to have the LPS. I also have the surge protection from SECO (whole house) as well as surge protectors on televisions and computer.

I would recommend the properly installed LPS for everyone.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 PM

For anyone with a low threshold of risk a lightning protection system gives you peace of mind. They have no working parts but they should be inspected by a Underwriters Laboratories or Lightning Protection Institute "lised" installer every three to five years. If you have made any alterations to your roof or added on you should call to have your system checked ASAP
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.