Welcome New Yorkers

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2023, 10:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Again, myopic view of the world relative to political extremism. Most of us don't view everything through the prism of politics. And as others have said, if politics were the reason people moved to Florida, there wouldn't be many Northerners coming here at all.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Myopic view of what has happened to New York relative to the actions of extremism. You can endorse all the policies in that state and drag it around the entire USA and see how that works for our country. Who is deterred from crime? We could rob you blind, slowly and determinedly. No jail time for us, too bad for you. Does that give you a sense of peace and security?
Old 02-06-2023, 10:53 AM

I just hope they will keep their hands off the controls. If it didn’t work in NY. It probably won’t work here. “And we really don’t care how you did it up North.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Yeah... He was a great Governor... FOR BALTIMORE... It's like he was still mayor, but with a much larger budget...

But the rest of the state? Nothing but an ATM...
I believe in an earlier post y7ou mentioned that you were a medical family. That, plus your knowledge of Baltimore makes me wonder if you attended Hopkins.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:15 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Even migrants are leaving NYC, going to Canada!

Migrants flee NYC for Canada after ‘drugs,’ ‘homeless people’ make life unbearable: report | Fox News

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-06-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
I see the New York hate here and think to myself, they are just jealous because we grew up in the greatest city in the world. I'm just here for the weather.
I'm also an X-New Yorker, but I would like to leave you a comment:
They also push people onto oncoming trains during the warmer months in NY; stay safe when you leave us again down here.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
I believe in an earlier post y7ou mentioned that you were a medical family. That, plus your knowledge of Baltimore makes me wonder if you attended Hopkins.
I did do a rotation there, during my residency, but no...

I'm just born and bred in Maryland...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-07-2023, 03:03 AM

Left WNY for the Villages in 2021. We still have a newly built (2017) 2,400 sq foot home, 30x50 pole barn sitting on 98 acres near Chautauqua Lake that we rarely visit. Politics, taxes and weather were our driving factors to leave. Lucky for us that family likes to take care of our property to hunt, fish and ride ATV's. A team of Budweiser Clydesdales could not drag us back to that rotten state.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:36 AM
Default Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Who you talking to homey? Just kidding. We have been here almost 7 years and have been almost deprogrammed and the chip on my shoulder has lessened.

Having the attitude that we come here with is a survival skill when you live in the northeast. It’s useful when you run into a Florida Native who because they lived here first think they own or control the area. So cool your jets Boss Hog. We’re here, we brought our money with us and together with you would like to make it a better place to live for everyone.

I’m proud of my roots but would rather live in the Southern Chilled out manner so just behave and don’t challenge me! The survival skills can come out in a minute.
Kinda sad you need “survival skills” to live anywhere. When you say a better place to live, do you mean the way you lived up north?
Old 02-07-2023, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxdog View Post
Kinda sad you need “survival skills” to live anywhere. When you say a better place to live, do you mean the way you lived up north?
We all have "survival" skills developed as a result of where we live or have lived, whether we realize it or not. Living in Minnesota for most of my life developed skills that I pretty much took for granted, and more or less assumed that others had them too. Which was true--most of the time, and for most Minnesotans. But there are exceptions, and sometimes glaring ones.

Example: I was out for a walk on a rather warm January day (about 30 degrees or so) just after a moderate snowfall. Sidewalks were plowed but the streets were not: they had about an inch of slush on them and as anyone knows who lives in such a climate, warm weather and slush-covered roads = slippery on steroids. I saw a car trying to go up a slight hill but had stopped about halfway, just sitting, rear tires spinning. I went over to see if I could help; the driver was a young woman actually in tears! She had called the police (who hadn't arrived yet) for help in getting up the hill. Her comment: "I'm from Florida! I don't know how to drive in this!" I told her to back down the hill and she looked at me sort of oddly, saying "but I want to go UP the hill". I explained that spinning the tires doesn't work: backing down, then working up some speed in a flat area and easing the car up the hill was the way to do it. She followed my advice and got up the hill with no problem. I hung around and explained it to the cops when they arrived. They got a good chuckle out of it.

I can totally understand how people from crime-ridden areas develop survival skills to cope: expertise in hand-to-hand fighting, for example. Maybe getting a permit and carrying a pistol, hopefully after thoroughly learning how to use it. Areas of cities to avoid because of increased danger. How to deal with people in an assertive manner when those people are seen as possible predators or con artists. Things like that. Maybe some are useful here, maybe not. And we develop the skills needed here, whether or we realize it or not.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Taxes and weather definitely better in Florida, don't know anything else better here. I have been here over 40 years, so I am probably not best judge of this. When I moved to Florida, cost of living was a lot better here than in NY, but not so much now.
That’s because people from the northeast, not just New York, come here and try to turn it into where they came from. I’m from Boston and I saw the same thing happen to southern New Hampshire. People moved there to get away from high taxes, high cost of living and politics that they don’t like. Nor southern NH is basically northern Massachusetts. It’s happening here as well. The south east corner of Florida has turned into New York City with palm trees.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
That’s because people from the northeast, not just New York, come here and try to turn it into where they came from. I’m from Boston and I saw the same thing happen to southern New Hampshire. People moved there to get away from high taxes, high cost of living and politics that they don’t like. Nor southern NH is basically northern Massachusetts. It’s happening here as well. The south east corner of Florida has turned into New York City with palm trees.

-Tom Petty
Old 02-08-2023, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It is not as liberal as it used to be.

Florida Governor Midterm Election Results and Maps 2022 | CNN Politics

And Miami has a Republican Mayor who won 76% of the vote in the last election.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapdaddy View Post
You’re damn right. Make America Florida. Keep you Northeast attitude up there.
I'm looking forward to coming down, but I can't yet. As far as attitude goes, let's just say that I needed to keep a poker face on November 9, 2016 and was doing a happy dance in my head while everyone around me looked like someone killed their dog...
Old 02-09-2023, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,433 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
I'm also an X-New Yorker, but I would like to leave you a comment:
They also push people onto oncoming trains during the warmer months in NY; stay safe when you leave us again down here.
There's no subway down here - in fact mass transit is pretty much a joke in this and many other states. Virtually or literally non-existent. I mean we can't even get a functional tram in the Villages, where the older you are, the less likely you're capable of driving, the more you rely on "someone other than yourself" to get you around.

But we have plenty of deaths, and accidents, and injuries. The emergency services folks earn their pay, for sure. Is that because of New Yorkers?

Nope. It's because of old people. Should we ban old people, since they're costing everyone so much money and causing so many accidents and death and injury? I dunno - I don't mind them so much. Maybe New Yorkers aren't the problem though. Maybe it's old people.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,433 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
It is not as liberal as it used to be.

Florida Governor Midterm Election Results and Maps 2022 | CNN Politics

And Miami has a Republican Mayor who won 76% of the vote in the last election.
Shhhh don't tell anyone that. People around here hate it when they're told that they're fighting a pointless crusade.
Closed Thread

Tags
yorkers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.