Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Well, this is a real mystery. It is really troubling. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/well-real-mystery-really-troubling-10332/)

chuckster 11-10-2007 12:26 AM

Re: Well, this is a real mystery. It is really troubling.

Okay.Okay, I've seen the error of my ways and with a lot of egg on my face, sign me up for a t-shirt and/or bumper sticker.........The kool aid was good though!!! :agree:

rsetterlund 11-10-2007 12:40 AM

Reading this tread has been interesting. But it concerns me more than the Sun not accepting an ad.

If I understand it correctly, and please someone correct me if I am wrong as I am a TV hopeful. When a person buys a home in TV they purchase the land as well. Correct? Is there an annual agreement that has to be signed allowing you to stay another year? If "the family" gets really mad at you can they force you to sell and move out? Is there any type of elected directors that manage the business of TV? It seems to me with over 40K homes the Villages could be come its own town with a fully elected government. How much control does the family have over the residents? If the residents do not like something that the family is doing is there anyway to fix the problem? I currently own in a similar development and I have seen a number of times where things start going bad and no one takes notice until it has gone really bad. Most of the people just want to have a good time and do not worry about things until it is almost to late.

Talk Host 11-10-2007 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsetterlund
Reading this tread has been interesting. But it concerns me more than the Sun not accepting an ad.

If I understand it correctly, and please someone correct me if I am wrong as I am a TV hopeful. When a person buys a home in TV they purchase the land as well. Correct? Is there an annual agreement that has to be signed allowing you to stay another year? If "the family" gets really mad at you can they force you to sell and move out? Is there any type of elected directors that manage the business of TV? It seems to me with over 40K homes the Villages could be come its own town with a fully elected government. How much control does the family have over the residents? If the residents do not like something that the family is doing is there anyway to fix the problem? I currently own in a similar development and I have seen a number of times where things start going bad and no one takes notice until it has gone really bad. Most of the people just want to have a good time and do not worry about things until it is almost to late.

I think you should copy this question and paste it into a new topic thread. I would do it for you, but it is your question.

Frangyomory 11-10-2007 11:07 PM

The Daily Sun is, in my opinion, nothing like any newspaper I have seen before. It is wholly controlled by the developer/family and won't publish anything that could possibly tarnish the "image" they have developed for the Villages. Since we on TOTV freely discuss our likes and dislikes and how we find it difficult to trust all the representatives of the developer, I am guessing that they don't want to give you a foot in th door.

It is sad, but don't expect to see much "real news"in the Daily Sun.......or as I like to call it the "flower power non-news". Guess they don't want us "old folks" having cardiac arrest if we find out the world "outside" isn't all honey and chocolate!!!!!

Bubbalarry 11-11-2007 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjdees
Bubbalarry, Help me with the logic behind the following comment of yours.

"4. Baby boomers are coming and they know it and want the full share not a split with local Realtors who are getting ripped off by TV and are getting away with it everyday"

How are the local realtors getting ripped off?

These comments from a Realtor came my way in August when I was buying.

1. Something to do with the MLS vs the Villages VHS. If I can recall the exact rule.
I think with the VHS, which is basically a Villages resale listing. A Realtor can't show you the buyer that home since the seller signed up with TV for resale. So the local realtor shares no commision along with anyone because they can't sell it. They can't sell what they can't see.

2. This should not be allowed but TV have pull and get away with it. It's unfair Real Estate practices but it keeps you the buyer locked in with them both new and used. If you try to sell within the first year of purchase without going thru them you will get another visit.

3. Now as mentioned they control new and resale of used. If the house is under the MLS, they still make it tough on eal Estate agents.

a. They don't allow signes.
b. They make it very difficult for a buyer to view all thats available for sale.

jjdees 11-11-2007 06:40 PM

Hey Bubba, correct me if I'm wrong but the resale within one year is a contractual item agreed to by both signatories. The sign issue is a county issue, not a Villages issue. if you check resales in all 3 counties, you'll see signs in Lake, and I believe Sumter, but not Marion. I may have Marion and Sumter mixed up but I know Lake resales in TV have signs from outside realtors. As far as VHS vs MLS, it's not "pull". It's business, clear and simple. I had experience with properties on Lake Martin in Alabama right by Tommy Tuberville's place. The builders were contractually committed to list the new homes for the first 18 months after completion. The realtor chose not to place the homes on the local MLS and held them captive for the eighteen month period including any resale of the property. Didn't make anyone happy but the realtor and developer, but it was known on the front end. Take it or leave it.

garsha 11-12-2007 04:58 AM

WOW!!! This site has my attention for someone who has already bought in "Paradise" but waiting for the real estate market to make a comeback in CA so our house will sell and we can retire to TV.

Within my first visit at TV, I was very aware of "big brother". Not unlike many in their 50s, I am opionated, know what I like and what I don't, have worked hard for a living, and don't want anyone telling me what and when I can do anything.

On my second visit without my husband, I returned to CA to tell him that the first feelings are right. "Big brother" does exist, I didn't know who he was, where he was, what powers he has, BUT HE KNOWS WHAT I LIKE!!! Completely alone in a city without any friends, wandering around looking for a house for the two of us to retire; going to happy hour and listening to music by myself; looking for big bugs and alligators; I felt completely safe and comfortable where ever I went in TV.

I fell in love with a place I look forward to calling home someday. I can't think of too many things that are controlled that I can't live with and most things are a plus.

So what am I missing? I love the Daily Sun and TV Radio station for the very reason it is the "paper and music from Paradise". I can always listen to CNN, MSNBC, blah, blah, blah if I need my negative fix. I also enjoy this website for the information we all share. Is there a reason we all can't exist in the same city?

Am I missing something here? :dontknow:

Barefoot 11-12-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbalarry

3. Now as mentioned they control new and resale of used. If the house is under the MLS, they still make it tough on eal Estate agents.

a. They don't allow signes.
b. They make it very difficult for a buyer to view all thats available for sale.

Sorry Topicop :cop: I know it's off topic; but I can't resist responding to this post!

Wow, I think you somehow have been misinformed (pertaining to resales only)!

jjdees is correct: Signage is not controlled by the Villages to benefit themselves; in some counties you can put MLS or VLS signs, in others you cannot.

How on earth do you think The Villages Agents can make it tough on buyers to view MLS listings? If a buyer contacts a VLS agent they can see all the VLS listings they want. If a buyer contacts a MLS agent they can see all the MLS listings they want.

We bought a resale through MLS, not VLS, no problem at all!

jadebox 11-12-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garsha
WOW!!! This site has my attention for someone who has already bought in "Paradise" but waiting for the real estate market to make a comeback in CA so our house will sell and we can retire to TV.

Within my first visit at TV, I was very aware of "big brother". Not unlike many in their 50s, I am opionated, know what I like and what I don't, have worked hard for a living, and don't want anyone telling me what and when I can do anything.

On my second visit without my husband, I returned to CA to tell him that the first feelings are right. "Big brother" does exist, I didn't know who he was, where he was, what powers he has, BUT HE KNOWS WHAT I LIKE!!! Completely alone in a city without any friends, wandering around looking for a house for the two of us to retire; going to happy hour and listening to music by myself; looking for big bugs and alligators; I felt completely safe and comfortable where ever I went in TV.

I fell in love with a place I look forward to calling home someday. I can't think of too many things that are controlled that I can't live with and most things are a plus.

So what am I missing? I love the Daily Sun and TV Radio station for the very reason it is the "paper and music from Paradise". I can always listen to CNN, MSNBC, blah, blah, blah if I need my negative fix. I also enjoy this website for the information we all share. Is there a reason we all can't exist in the same city?

Am I missing something here? :dontknow:

:agree: I think Big Brother is doing his job well. Before moving here you should know the rules and if you don't agree then look for a place that fits your needs.

Frangyomory 11-12-2007 08:56 PM

You are right Donna Lee. I love living here. I really don't like all the crap the developer causes BUT there is no other place like this so I am here to stay.

You have to decide what you can live with and if you can't take the "big brother" issues and having no real newspaper, then you really won't be happy here.

However, if you are looking for a place to make new friends; enjoy the later years of life and maintain a healthy and happy attitude, sign on the dotted line!!!!

I looked and looked for years because I was retired for 4 years before my husband. Take my word for it. NO ONE will ever be able to duplicate what we have in today's market. There just isn't enough money for this type development any more!!! :#1: :agree:

784caroline 11-15-2007 04:49 PM

TALK HOST
I am sure we have all seen the recent reports of the dramatic circulation decline of some of the biggest "Print media" newpapers. The Village Sun must view TOTV as competition for not only readers but advertising dollars and moreso unbiased "opinions". I know when I went to Golf Cart Connection I asked my sales person if she heard of TOTV and she did and said she reads it frequently but did not participate in any discussion. I flat out told her I was there because of TOTV and GOLF CART CONNECTION was missing a BIG opportunity if they did not advertise or somehow recognize TOTV members who came to their store and bought a golf cart. She said the problem is they get alot of inquiries to buy advertising from media or internet sources and most never produce viable clients. HOwever they are recognizing a trend from customers mentioning TOTV and I told her she could pass my name to "the boss" if she needed a first hand reference of how I got to their location.

tony 11-15-2007 05:56 PM

:bow: thanks a lot!

Bubbalarry 11-17-2007 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot at last
Sorry Topicop :cop: I know it's off topic; but I can't resist responding to this post!

Wow, I think you somehow have been misinformed (pertaining to resales only)!

jjdees is correct: Signage is not controlled by the Villages to benefit themselves; in some counties you can put MLS or VLS signs, in others you cannot.

How on earth do you think The Villages Agents can make it tough on buyers to view MLS listings? If a buyer contacts a VLS agent they can see all the VLS listings they want. If a buyer contacts a MLS agent they can see all the MLS listings they want.

We bought a resale through MLS, not VLS, no problem at all!

If a buyer wants to see a VLS listing with a outside agent they prefer he/she must go through TV, not an agent of an outside the villages agent. Since they have no info at hand to talk about it. The Village sales reps have no license to sell MLS.

Now when I talk of signs was told that the Villages do not want outside signs of homes for sale. In some cases people have them up anyway, but the Realtor who told me this claimed its part of dealing with TV. As I have mentioned here on a previous post TV sales agents push you into new and provide as little as possible for resale. Thats VLS resale.They are instructed by management to push new.

I personally had to find VLS homes for resale and demand that my questions about them and to view the properties was very frustrating. Only when I said forget me buying a new home did they try at all. I could not find anything we wanted in both VLS or MLS and finally said to heck with it.

Then less than 2 weeks later bam. They, TV sales rep come up with a deal we couldn't refuse in Hadley Villages. The wife is happy I am happy and the MLS sales girl isn't.

RCT 11-17-2007 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbalarry
If a buyer wants to see a VLS listing with a outside agent they prefer he/she must go through TV, not an agent of an outside the villages agent. Since they have no info at hand to talk about it. The Village sales reps have no license to sell MLS.

Now when I talk of signs was told that the Villages do not want outside signs of homes for sale. In some cases people have them up anyway, but the Realtor who told me this claimed its part of dealing with TV. As I have mentioned here on a previous post TV sales agents push you into new and provide as little as possible for resale. Thats VLS resale.They are instructed by management to push new.

I personally had to find VLS homes for resale and demand that my questions about them and to view the properties was very frustrating. Only when I said forget me buying a new home did they try at all. I could not find anything we wanted in both VLS or MLS and finally said to heck with it.

Then less than 2 weeks later bam. They, TV sales rep come up with a deal we couldn't refuse in Hadley Villages. The wife is happy I am happy and the MLS sales girl isn't.

You know, my experiences with TV rep that i have has not been that. Three trips up there, she has PUSHED nothing, just has spent time showing me places I wanted to look at, and showed me ONE new house, that I recall. I am sure some are different, but I have been nothing but pleased with her, and will stay loyal when I do buy. Also, i have said on here before, that most of the listings outside agents have in TV initial asking price has, for the last year and a half, been considerably higher than comparable homes through TV resales. now, maybe the outside listing are willing to negotiate on that price more than TV inside sales, I don't know. If anyone has any info on that, would appreciate some input.

jjdees 11-17-2007 02:33 AM

We've been out several times with a Villages sales rep, Michele Halloy and have not had an experience like Bubba's. She showed us a few new ones, lots of resales without an ounce of pressure either way. She was very professional and We won't hesitate to work with her again. As far as an outside sales rep showing a Villages listing, ain't going to happen and it has nothing to do with info, it's because they will not get a commission.