INSIDE vs. OUTSIDE TV

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Default INSIDE vs. OUTSIDE TV

Is it accurate to conclude that it costs more not only to buy in TV but the cost of goods and services are higher than outside TV in other parts of Florida? That is the impression I'm getting. Also that TV is "morphing" into a regular community with all the concerns that non-retirement communities already have. Big considerations for relocation are the three "C"'s of COST CRIME & CLIMATE.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Default Re: INSIDE vs. OUTSIDE TV

May I ask, please, how did you arrive at your conclusion?

The cost of housing is higher in TV compared to other areas. However, I took my grocery reciept from a commisary and compared it to Publix prices at TV, and I was impressed with the comparison. Besides, the wise shopper always shops the sale items. Taxes in Florida are significantly lower than in Texas and the Northeast.

Regarding Crime... Crime in TV is increasing? I am not aware of this. What is your source of information? I would like to investigate further.

Climate. Well, there's something that is changing everywhere. In El Paso we had eight inches of snow this weekend. TV in the summer is warm and humid, but generally in the evenings the winds pick up and you can sit on the porch.

Finally, I would remind you of a fourth "C", and that is community. Our sense of community at TV is dedicated to enjoying our lives and contributing to the betterment of other's lives. We are active and we are smiling. If you can find a stronger sense of community anywhere, let us know.

I hope you are successful in your search for the FOUR "C's".
Old 11-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Great community spirit no doubt about that :bigthumbsup: My source of information is from the over all posts that I've been following ever since learning about TOTV. I really enjoy the site. The property taxes seem to be about the same as where I am (Indiana) but here we think that's high. I understand that in AL there's an exemption for those over 65. I know FL offers other tax benefits but don't see the state as user friendly to retirees (ccfj) Cyber Citizens For Justice. Some comments posted on this site mentioned the places of business in towns outside TV having lower prices. Of course, there was a trip involved to get there so those businesses in TV have the edge. When they start talking crime watch - that is when our neighborhood started to decline here. I think there was a post concerning that recommendation after the break ins at TV. The various posts I mention are scattered throughout the site. I think the great sense of community is a major attraction to TV so the Developers should be pleased not displeased.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:33 PM

I think you better do another study, your all wet on this one
drd
Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Gold member

It is interesting that you say the property tax is about the same as it is in Indiana. I sold my home in Indianapolis last November and moved into a Villa here and the Villa that I purchased 3 years ago cost the same as the home I sold in Indianapolis in November. I just got back from paying my property tax and it was $1,915.80 that is $200.00 less than I paid in Indianapolis before I moved here 1 year ago. The property tax in Indiana jumped considerably since I left last November and I am afraid to ask the people who purchased my home what they are paying now but my old neighbors are crying the blues.

Also please pass the information along that things are expensive in The Villages so all of those people who live in developements around The Villages will stop coming to our resturants and entertainment venues to spend their money. They bring their cars and park where we could get 2 golf cars. Seems like you will be very happy in Indiana. I will be there for a week starting Dec. 2nd and I just looked at the weather!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Let's see -- Crime: They caught the guy who was doing the break ins. I don't care where you live, there's going to be some crime. From what I've seen, TV's crime rate is pretty low and most of it is on the petty side. I'm one of those who reads police blotters -- the crimes for TV have been DUIs (yeah!!! -- get those turkeys of the road) and domestic abuse (sad to think a 70 YO female is being beaten by her spouse, but it does seem to happen even here) and an occasional under-30 who either lives with parents or possibly is a Villages staffer living in their village busted for burglary or drugs (usually outside of TV).

TV v Outside Costs: I've found some things to be cheaper in TV, some things outside. It does seem if it is a store owned by TV or the family (like the Mercantile), the costs are somewhat higher. As was said, shop the ads and you'll do just fine.

Property Taxes: No comment -- I come from the Bay Area where my property tax on a 3-bedroom townhome was over $6K annually, so any property tax here is downright cheap.

Climate: The humidity sucks! No ifs, ands or buts. However, Florida has always had humidity (so has all of the South). If you can't take it, then this is definitely not the place for you. If you think you can get at least semi-used to it (that's my goal lol), come on down!

Community: The best I've ever seen!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Sandi
May I ask, please, how did you arrive at your conclusion?

The cost of housing is higher in TV compared to other areas. However, I took my grocery reciept from a commisary and compared it to Publix prices at TV, and I was impressed with the comparison. Besides, the wise shopper always shops the sale items. Taxes in Florida are significantly lower than in Texas and the Northeast.

Regarding Crime... Crime in TV is increasing? I am not aware of this. What is your source of information? I would like to investigate further.

Climate. Well, there's something that is changing everywhere. In El Paso we had eight inches of snow this weekend. TV in the summer is warm and humid, but generally in the evenings the winds pick up and you can sit on the porch.

Finally, I would remind you of a fourth "C", and that is community. Our sense of community at TV is dedicated to enjoying our lives and contributing to the betterment of other's lives. We are active and we are smiling. If you can find a stronger sense of community anywhere, let us know.

I hope you are successful in your search for the FOUR "C's".
Great reply, D & S.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:40 AM

Ouch I think I ruffled a few feathers but it was not my intention to do so. (Maybe that's why people don't post?) I knew it was risky business though to say anything that might be considered to be negative. I don't mind the humidity that much. 80 is my idea of ideal room temperature and just got whole house air this year. It would be storm potential and hassle about insurance that would be a deterrent. The property taxes did raise and created a big flap here. Some areas were hit harder than ours but from what I could figure out from what's been posted, it would be about the same there for a house of the same value. The other comment (or question) came from those who mentioned that cost of eating out was less in surrounding communities. I agree that certain challenges exist everywhere. Not lookin' for a fight. ;D
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.