Were getting the short end at grocery stores

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2017, 08:30 AM

Florida is a peninsula. That means everything must be brought into the state by truck, boat or by train. That costs more money because of the distance involved. The cost is past on to the buyer. It's a little like living on an island. We don't grow much in Florida. We do have cattle and sugar cane. We don't manufacture much here. We once had oranges but that's not what it once was. Floridas big thing is tourists and retirees. If the prices are aimed at The Villages only, then I think that might be because of what The Villages charges any store on its property to do business. Again, that gets passed on.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA

Last edited by Wing-nut2; 10-07-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
Florida is a peninsula. That mean everything must be brought into the state by truck, boat or by train...
What?
Old 10-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
Florida is a peninsula. That means everything must be brought into the state by truck, boat or by train. That costs more money.

The cost is past on to the buyer. It's a little like living on an island. We don't grow much in Florida. We do have cattle and sugar cane. We don't manufacture much here. We once had oranges but that's not what it once was. Floridas big thing is tourists and retirees. If the prices are aimed at The Villages only, then I think that might be because of what The Villages charges any store on its property to do business. Again, that gets passed on.
Say what?!

So how are goods brought into states...that are not a 'peninsula?'
Old 10-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,094 Times in 374 Posts

Florida does have cattle but from what I understand, there are few cattle processed into food here. Have read that many are sent elsewhere for fattening and processing.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Say what?!

So how are goods brought into states...that are not a 'peninsula?'
Trucks, boats, trains.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Trucks, boats, trains.
Sometimes [emoji574]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2017, 10:00 AM

Florida, like Cape Cod, is mostly seasonal residents and tourists. Therefore, the overhead is higher in off season verses income.

I really don't find TV prices higher than the rest of Florida, or "back home"

As for Turners Falls, it is an old mill town with high unemployment, run down houses, looked like most on welfare. We did a foliage trip and stopped at the grocery store mentioned by OP. Old, run down, and dirty.
To compare it to Publix, night and day. Even restroom was filthy.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
What?
Old 10-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But I think her point was that yes, groceries are higher than somewhere else, but there are many other things that are lower/better than that same somewhere else. She's not saying you should pay more for groceries. She's not saying that's why you pay more for groceries. She's just saying pick your poison. I'll take the higher grocery prices in view of the fact that I love the rest of it that I didn't have back wherever.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Groceries are the same for us no matter what. Course I’m the one still shopping online that nobody believes I buy 80% of my groceries.

I get free shipping, any sales on that day, and even coupons are applied. Groceries on my doorstep in a matter of hours or 2 day ship. Either way I know exactly what I’m paying and the app tells me if I can buy it cheaper somewhere else.

I don’t have to fight the crowds stand in lines and basically have more time in my life to enjoy. When we are out and about, We shop Trader Joe’s, and Costco. Off campus grocery’s are cheaper.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Some subjects, as this one, isn't posted to provide solutions.....because aside from spending your life shopping at other stores, there isn't one, but is posted to either see how many are in agreement and how many offer a wider view. The usual suggestion to move is normal, not unusual but also accomplishes nothing. TOTV with few exceptions is an adversarial board....so it's important we cool our jets, it is what it is.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
We shop sales. Generally we shop Aldi for fresh veggies and salads, Publix for BOGOs, Winn Dixie for frozen vegetarian products, and Walmart for staples. We buy the gas cards from Publix. The sales papers and knowing the stores determines the day to day purchases.
Exactly. It is also called comparison shopping and knowing the prices from store to store. Walmart is not always the cheapest, but often the highest. I buy one staple at Publix for $2.59, even sometimes 2/$4.00; the same staple at Walmart is $2.78 always. Publix has items that Walmart does not carry; Walmart has items that Publix does not carry. Another poster was right about the BOGO's, too. That will bring the prices way down. I just don't understand the people that will only buy one on the BOGO's. Take both and share with someone like a neighbor or a food bank. It isn't costing anymore. On the two-for items, you only have to buy one at Publix to get the discounted price; other places, you have to buy two or pay full price. I go to Aldi's, if and when, I am in the area of Aldi's. Publix is right around the corner and Walmart is almost as close. No Winn Dixie is close.

It all pretty much comes down to preference. What I prefer is not what someone else prefers and vice-versa. As a side note, we always paid less for seafood "back home" in cattle country than when we would come to Florida to visit family before we moved here or even knew The Villages existed. And besides, they live on the east coast of Florida. At one time, we owned a vacation home in Destin, FL, on the gulf. Same thing. I never have figured that one out.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The add posted was from Food City. Isn’t that a discount food store similar to the Aldis concept?
Old 10-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But I think her point was that yes, groceries are higher than somewhere else, but there are many other things that are lower/better than that same somewhere else. She's not saying you should pay more for groceries. She's not saying that's why you pay more for groceries. She's just saying pick your poison. I'll take the higher grocery prices in view of the fact that I love the rest of it that I didn't have back wherever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Some subjects, as this one, isn't posted to provide solutions.....because aside from spending your life shopping at other stores, there isn't one, but is posted to either see how many are in agreement and how many offer a wider view. The usual suggestion to move is normal, not unusual but also accomplishes nothing. TOTV with few exceptions is an adversarial board....so it's important we cool our jets, it is what it is.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran member
Default Super markets

Well, jumping in, we live up north, NYS, southwest of Buffalo. Have a home in TV and look forward to spend the winter months there. Positive all the way with one exception, grocery shopping. Food is more expensive here, the quality of fresh fruits and vegetables Is lacking. But we are willing to trade off for the sunshine, etc. our major vendors are Wegmans, Tops, and Aldis. Wegmans best for fruits and veggies. Cheese joiners are numerous to say the least. Olive bar could supply a appetizer night at your home. When in season they use local farms for produce, sweet corn, melons, squash, tomatoes, string beans, etc,etc. They also deal with Organic farms to satisfy that need. Tops Mkts are big, they have just about everything you need or look for. Vast selection, BIG SALES, Bogor, etc. And of course we all know Aldis.
Do we miss Wegmans? of course, do we miss horizontal snow? You betcha!!
PS: I miss the star ruby grapefruit. Big, deep red interior, and incredibly juicy. Wegmans always has those.
Closed Thread

Tags
dixe, winn, left, buying, head

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.