Were getting the short end at grocery stores

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I am interested in trying out the online grocery shopping; is that from Amazon, or ? Can you advise? Thanks.
Yes I do use Amazon for the bulk of my things plus free shipping. I don’t even have to make a list since I have Alexa she keeps my list for me transfers it from my phone. I can even scan a barcode. Heavy items are no big deal except for the fedex guy.

I know what’s on sale if I can buy it cheaper elsewhere, coupons are applied. I don’t buy meat at the grocery since we split a cow.

Most of my fresh produce comes from my container gardens. When I’m up north every grocery store offers home delivery or front door pick up. I truthfully have not been in a grocery store more than five times in the last six months.

I find I actually spend less money on groceries since there’s no impulse buying walking down the aisle‘s and getting caught up in that long line to pay at the cash register. I’ve been using Amazon for close to a year and extremely happy. Up north whole foods delivery to our home so if I need anything from there it’s at my door within two hours.

We are prime members, almost every thing I buy comes from a box with a smile on it.

Last edited by asianthree; 10-09-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Platinum member
Post Fresh produce

I seldom do any grocery shopping. In Tampa my kids do it for me, and in The Villages Barbara does it.

Seeing your posts confirms to me what Barbara often says; it costs about the same to go out to eat as it does to buy the ingredients in the store and prepare it yourself.

Knowing little about pricing, I do have an insight to offer about produce quality, which was mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Tomatoes - In the 1950s, some of the finest quality tomatoes in the United States were produced on farms near Ruskin, Florida, in the same county with Tampa. Ruskin was a well known destination for migrant farm workers, and continues to be at this time, but to a lesser extent. The number of fields dedicated to tomatoes, and the packing houses for processing them has fallen off as more and more urban development has impinged on the area. There are still areas of Ruskin tomatoes growing as far as the eye can see. Fewer tomatoes results in higher prices. Tomato Supplier | Ruskin FL | Tomatoes of Ruskin | Home

Oranges - Over the decades there have been a series of "Impact Freezes" that resulted in the destruction of vast areas of Orange Groves in Florida. This, and Disney's acquisition and destruction of groves to build Walt Disney World, resulted in virtually no current attempts to grow oranges north of State Road 60, which runs across the state at about the level of Tampa. Fewer groves results in fewer oranges, which brings higher prices.

Strawberries - The area around Plant City (named for early Florida developer Henry B. Plant,) east of Tampa is devoted to growing large and tasty strawberries. There is a major celebration every year, called the Strawberry Festival which is similar to a State Fair in a southern state. Many people prefer it over the Florida State Fair. I have seen Plant City Strawberries in grocery stores in The Villages. At the end of the harvest season, some fields open to tourists who can pick the remaining strawberries at a greatly reduced price.

Entertainment at the 2016 Strawberry Festival included the Drifters, Platters and Cornell Gunter’s Coasters; Willie Nelson and Family; Bellamy Brothers, Brenda Lee, The Blues Brothers, The Oak Ridge Boys, Cab Calloway Orchestra, Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers, and Patti LaBelle.

Now, the insight about quality. Decades ago I was told by a teacher (in who knows what class) that it was a common practice that the finest produce was never sold locally. It was packaged for shipment to major markets where it would bring a higher price than in the more agrarian venues where it was grown. I don't claim this is accurate, but I was in the mood to write a long post, so here it is.

P.S. - The next Strawberry Festival is March 1 - 11, 2018. It is worth a visit. Headline Entertainment – Florida Strawberry Festival
Old 10-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
How do your taxes here compare to "back home"?

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 10-12-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
LOVE this bread....and their raisin bread and bagels....YUM!
I'm definitely trying Dave's bread and bagels when we arrive in TV.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig353 View Post
It is not always about the price. Time/ Distance to store , convenience to store all play a part in decision to shop and spend where you do.
I agree 100%. We shop for fresh produce several times a week, and we value convenience.
For some women, it's fun to get the best price. Not me.
I want to spend my golden years golfing, not shopping for bargains.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Sage

We lived in the upper midwest all of our lives til we moved here 8 yrs. ago. I don't find we spend more here than we did up north. Though meat and milk seem to be more costly. We eat simply and don't purchase junk food...so find that probably contributes as well. We don't bake at our house neither. I do like the bogo's but I don't make a practice of shopping that way. I buy what we eat so basically could do without a list except for the add-ons (paper goods, sundry items etc.)
Closed Thread

Tags
dixe, winn, left, buying, head

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.