West Facing Lanai

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2019, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts
Default West Facing Lanai

I viewed a new house on a golf course yesterday that has everything I have been looking for in a house. However, the screened lanai, the kitchen, and the master bedroom face to the west, and the sun would shine directly into these areas every afternoon. I would like some opinions on how much of a negative this will be and can this be minimized by screening and shading to block out the sun. If you have a west facing lanai, please let me know if this is a serious problem.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:48 PM

This is the same situation we have now with our second home here in TV. Our first home was east facing lanai which was far better for its use. We since created a front of home sitting area replacing some of the landscape with a paver patio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

Our lanai and bedroom face a little north of west and it is not that much of a problem, it has no effect on the bedroom but the sun does come into the lanai in late afternoon. I wanted my lanai to face the east to get morning sun but chose our home based on the view, etc. You will realize that if it's 90 degrees and humid outside it doesn't matter which way your lanai faces it will still be uncomfortable with or without the sun shining in.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We have the same situation and we have dealt with it effectively. We have a sunroom which is all huge windows. We had a tight fitting canvas blind custom made to completely cover the window from outside facing due west and we have heavy window tinting on that side of the home. We also have Solar shade sun roller blinds made to measure for each window inside the room. With the blind down you will not even know the sun is shining. We use the exterior canvas blind for at least seven months of the year. If you buy this home, do not skimp on your sun protection it is worth every penny in the long run.

The benefit to this exposure is that you get all the sun you need in the winter. We literally live in this room it is bright and sunny year round.

All our other rooms have good shutters. No drapes.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Platinum member

We are most happy with our west-facing lanai and eat most meals there. Wouldn't give up the gorgeous sunsets.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I viewed a new house on a golf course yesterday that has everything I have been looking for in a house. However, the screened lanai, the kitchen, and the master bedroom face to the west, and the sun would shine directly into these areas every afternoon. I would like some opinions on how much of a negative this will be and can this be minimized by screening and shading to block out the sun. If you have a west facing lanai, please let me know if this is a serious problem.

You’ll see the sunsets!
Old 05-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

We had one home where the back faced west; NEVER AGAIN! Was miserable in the afternoons trying to grill out, sit outside or do anything in the back yard.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

We have a west-facing lanai.

It is very nice in the morning when my wife and I sit outside and have our coffee.

It is also very nice in the evening if there a few clouds to block the sun. If there are no clouds and the sun comes directly into our house, we pull down the shades we had installed.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 AM
Sage

My number one riority was a house oriented NS, and I’m glad I gott one I rented a house with west facing lanai and LR for a month and HATED it. This way I get some sun on lanai in late afternoon which is okay especially in winter
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-12-2019, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We rented in August with a West acing lanai and it was unusable. We bought a house with a South facing lanai and we are very happy.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

Thanks for all of the comments. I think I may keep looking for the right house.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Thanks for all of the comments. I think I may keep looking for the right house.
You'll find the right house but you won't find the perfect house, there is always something missing. In our case we got the house we wanted, the water view and privacy we wanted, next to lots that don't allow for pools so we don't have to listen to the pumps, the floors and cabinets we wanted and settled for the Northwest facing lanai which was the only thing we didn't want but it too has it's plusses.. Even if you build there will be some restriction on the lot that will stop you from having something or getting stuck next to something you won't like. Keep looking there are tons of homes for sale and tons of lots to build on.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
My number one riority was a house oriented NS, and I’m glad I gott one I rented a house with west facing lanai and LR for a month and HATED it. This way I get some sun on lanai in late afternoon which is okay especially in winter
Ditto. I found the east facing lanai on our first TV home was restrictive in the winter, although we did not enclose it. I think if we had, it would have been great. But judging from trying to sit on the front of that house (west facing), I would never want a west facing lanai due to the heat, unless it was enclosed and air conditioned.

Our new house has an enclosed lanai that gets morning sun and some afternoon sun. We had a retractable sunbrella awning installed on the outside that's remote controlled. That takes care of the morning heat/sun.

Personally, we would never have a west facing lanai.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:52 PM

There are many facts left unanswered. Is it a kissing lanai, (ugh)? Is it a large lanai? Does it afford wonderful views? Do you love the home and layout? What may be hot in the summer is warming in the Winter. Opinions here are just that, if it was so bad do you think they’d build any home facing that direction? You may be putting more credence into someone’s opinion than you would personally warrant.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

We use our north/west facing lanai in the cooler months only. That is November through April. When the weather is hot, we are not outside in the sun or the shade. I do, however, grill all year round on the lanai. I can handle being in the heat for that two minutes at a time to take care of the grilling.

Mornings on a western facing lanai are lovely for sipping coffee.

We did not enclose our lanai because we do love having outdoor space. Having a covered area for the grill is a must as I can still grill when it is raining.

Tags
lanai, west, sun, facing, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.