West Facing Lanai

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
We use our north/west facing lanai in the cooler months only. That is November through April. When the weather is hot, we are not outside in the sun or the shade. I do, however, grill all year round on the lanai. I can handle being in the heat for that two minutes at a time to take care of the grilling.

Mornings on a western facing lanai are lovely for sipping coffee.

We did not enclose our lanai because we do love having outdoor space. Having a covered area for the grill is a must as I can still grill when it is raining.
Agree, (our lanai faces just north of west) mornings are great out there, today it was 75 at 6:30 AM comfortable to have coffee, went back out around noon to take a break 83 and still very comfortable with no sun. The sun starts to come in one corner of the lanai around 4:00 and it's too hot to sit comfortably out there until around 7:30 so we only lose 3-1/2 to 4 hours or use per day. Those times will change between now and June 21 but we will still have the same amount of comfortable time.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

Our lanai faces directly east. This time of year when it is 70 degrees in the morning, it is comfortable all day long. In the afternoons when it is 90 degrees, it is in the shade, and we run the fans and it is not too hot. In the winter, it is too cold to be out in the morning regardless of direction of the lanai. In the afternoons during the winter when things warm up, we have fixed up a sitting area in the front of the house which gets the afternoon sun, and it too is very comfortable. We had friends who sold their house with west facing lanai. They said it was brutal in the afternoon sun and made the lanai un-useable.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

keep looking
Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I viewed a new house on a golf course yesterday that has everything I have been looking for in a house. However, the screened lanai, the kitchen, and the master bedroom face to the west, and the sun would shine directly into these areas every afternoon. I would like some opinions on how much of a negative this will be and can this be minimized by screening and shading to block out the sun. If you have a west facing lanai, please let me know if this is a serious problem.
Do yourself a favor. On a nice, sunny afternoon, find an open house with a west facing lanai. You really need to experience it first hand, but they get big time warm, and you might regret purchasing that kind of set-up.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Do yourself a favor. On a nice, sunny afternoon, find an open house with a west facing lanai. You really need to experience it first hand, but they get big time warm, and you might regret purchasing that kind of set-up.
Isn't it still warm in the shade when it is 90 degrees? Honestly, the only time I'm outside when it is 90 degrees is when I'm swimming in the pool. That's it. I do not golf because of the heat but that's just me.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Isn't it still warm in the shade when it is 90 degrees? Honestly, the only time I'm outside when it is 90 degrees is when I'm swimming in the pool. That's it. I do not golf because of the heat but that's just me.
It is, but I've been in at least one west facing lanai home where there is practically no shade in the late afternoon.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I've been in at least one west facing lanai home where there is practically no shade in the late afternoon.
Our large lanai faces west-northwest, so the sun goes directly into our house late in the afternoon during the summer.

We have shades just inside the screen on our lanai, so when the sun is a problem, we lower the shades. The shades cost $3K and they are well worth it.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Our large lanai faces west-northwest, so the sun goes directly into our house late in the afternoon during the summer.

We have shades just inside the screen on our lanai, so when the sun is a problem, we lower the shades. The shades cost $3K and they are well worth it.
We don't have shades over the screen in the lanai. We have vertical blinds on the windows and the sliding door that line the back of the house which faces north west. The sun never streams into the house from the lanai because the lanai roof blocks the sun. We tilt the vertical blinds when the sun streams into the back of the house which is not protected by the lanai roof.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default A truly simple answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I viewed a new house on a golf course yesterday that has everything I have been looking for in a house. However, the screened lanai, the kitchen, and the master bedroom face to the west, and the sun would shine directly into these areas every afternoon. I would like some opinions on how much of a negative this will be and can this be minimized by screening and shading to block out the sun. If you have a west facing lanai, please let me know if this is a serious problem.
Homes are square. One side of your home will face each of the four directions. Our home front is east, so we see the sunrise at breakfast. The lanai, on the back is out of the sun till the afternoon.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

I lived on a private country club golf course for 13 years and would never do it again, there is absolutely no privacy on your lanai if there is a cart path in front of it, even worse if the tee box is near. People would actually walk over to our deck and ask if I could give them a beer, throwing trash on the ground that would end up in our yard, constant foul language and even urinating on the tee area, more than once I called the police for that dirty trick. After 13 years I had enough. A west facing lanai is nothing compared to living on a golf course.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, west, sun, facing, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.