West Facing Lanai - no-no or overblown?

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2018, 12:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
The thing with the view, is if you are facing the west, it is so unbearably hot in the summer you will need to pull shades down or somehow protect yourself from the direct sun. Consequently you won't see the view. And one more point - the concrete decking in the lanai will heat up tremendously and act like a heat sink during the day if the sun is shining on it. Even if you pull down the shades at 4:00 pm say, so you can sit outside, it will still be hotter than the east facing lanai that was in the shade all afternoon. Lastly, if you look at ads for pre-owned homes, the ads will feature "east facing lanai" if one is available, because it is an obvious selling point.
Yep.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:30 AM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp

I have had 2 west facing lanais here inTV. I prefer them and enjoy beautiful sunsets πŸ€—
Old 04-21-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Well, let me give you a perspective...from someone who has both.

I have a wrap-around lanai of which part faces west...and part faces north.

Even with blinds, the west facing portion is almost uninhabitable during the summer due to the heat...and the north portion is plenty warm with even the fan going.

If I had a choice, I would have preferred the entire lanai facing north...and a south facing front of the house (which I have).
I agree. I guess it depends on a person's preferences as far as heat. Judging by the responses, some people like sitting outside in in the sun in 100 degree heat in the summer watching the sunset. Good for them. And many people don't. Our neighbors across the street had a west facing lanai, and sold the house because of it. She said it was something she hadn't thought of when they purchased, and it was just brutal out there in the afternoon sun. This is a link to an article about Florida lanai's that may be helpful: What’s up with a Lanai? | New Floridians
Old 04-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Sage

Having come from the oft mentioned east facing lanai which btw was unbearably hot in the summer we now have a NW facing which should be hot but isn’t. Is actually pleasant during the hottest days. What’s the difference ? The depth of the lanai is 6’ wider, is fully open on three sides, is not situated within ally like backyards. We benefit from any breeze and the sun never reaches the rear block wall to radiate back heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2018, 08:34 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Having come from the oft mentioned east facing lanai which btw was unbearably hot in the summer we now have a NW facing which should be hot but isn’t. Is actually pleasant during the hottest days. What’s the difference ? The depth of the lanai is 6’ wider, is fully open on three sides, is not situated within ally like backyards. We benefit from any breeze and the sun never reaches the rear block wall to radiate back heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point, it does depend a lot on how it is constructed. Ours also is open on 3 sides and has space on all 3 sides for air movement. We also have a large ceiling fan which moves the air.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There are many things to consider when building or buying a house here in The Villages. When we were looking for a homesite here, the second time, we had chosen a model that was a bit wider than others and could only be situated on certain lots that were available at the time. All of the view lots in The Village that they were building in at that time had been snapped up in seven hours. This lot has a pretty good view between houses of the golf course and the sunset. We had a west facing lanai before in Hadley so we were aware it was gonna be hot in the afternoon evening. We purchased and built and bought Coolaroo Sun shades that cut down on the heat and you can see through but it is still hot in July, August and September, but now we have a pool and it is doable. We have thought about trying to install an awning inside the birdcage to block the sun, but can't think of an attractive way to do it. So we focus on all of the pluses of our home and don't use the back yard during the hottest part of the day. We have a front porch we can use at that time.

Compared with other challenges in life the west facing lanai isn't too big a deal in the scheme of things.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-21-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

It really depends on the person. Our first house had north facing lanai, while still warm in the summer, it was cold during January February March. Second house the same, however had burm planted and helped with the cold.

Third house has southern facing lanai, with birdcage at east side. During summer months our grands and other half sit in the birdcage with full sun, any time of the day. I on the other hand hate the heat, and only sit in the lanai and bird cage in fall, and winter. We will be adding some type of shade this year.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSilvestrucci View Post
I have had 2 west facing lanais here inTV. I prefer them and enjoy beautiful sunsets πŸ€—
Exactly.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
Judging by the responses, some people like sitting outside in in the sun in 100 degree heat in the summer watching the sunset.
Nobody is watching sunsets in 100 degree heat from their west facing lanais.

Here is a temp graph for TV on July 19, 2017.

histgraphall-gif

As you can see in the top graph, highs for the day were in low 90s which lasted from 1 to 6 pm. Sunset was at 8:23pm. By Prime sunset watching time of 8pm, temp was down to a pleasant 75 degrees. Typical summer temps are at their peak from 1 to 6 pm, during that time you deploy solar screens on west facing lanais which you can lift when sunset time arrives.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:49 AM
Sage

July 19 was a poor day to pick if you are trying to make the point that 75F is typical at sunset. It appears that a gust front came through before some rain that started at about 8:30, which dropped the temperature significantly. I can show you numerous days during the summer where the temperature is in the mid to upper 80s (F) at 8:30PM. Also, temperatures rarely get to 100F here. Also, there is something wrong with your graph as it shows a constant 87F for 5 hours. The high for that day appears to be around 92F at about 5:30 but had also dropped to about 86F at 4:00 (depends on your exact location).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post

Attachment 74843

As you can see in the top graph, highs for the day were in low 90s which lasted from 1 to 6 pm. Sunset was at 8:23pm. By Prime sunset watching time of 8pm, temp was down to a pleasant 75 degrees. Typical summer temps are at their peak from 1 to 6 pm, during that time you deploy solar screens on west facing lanais which you can lift when sunset time arrives.

Last edited by biker1; 04-22-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post

Attachment 74843

To show a temperature graph without a humidity graph Vs how hot do you feel is almost meaningless. I will illustrate. We used to environmentally test our products for certification worldwide. Three zones are pretty much considered within normal ranges for to get the certification
1- standard = 72 degrees F and 45% relative humidity
2- cool = 60 degrees F 20% rh
3- hot = 80 degrees F 80 % rh
We had operators paid to run the equipment usually in 10 - 12 hour shifts. When at 80/80 the operators got paid a differential like shift workers would get paid for a night shift.
90 degrees F 10% rh is very comfortable 90 degrees F 90% rh unbearable to me.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:00 AM
fw102807

When it's 100 degrees it is hot no matter which way your lanai faces
Old 04-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Bingo!!!
Old 04-22-2018, 10:07 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
To show a temperature graph without a humidity graph Vs how hot do you feel is almost meaningless. I will illustrate. We used to environmentally test our products for certification worldwide. Three zones are pretty much considered within normal ranges for to get the certification
1- standard = 72 degrees F and 45% relative humidity
2- cool = 60 degrees F 20% rh
3- hot = 80 degrees F 80 % rh
We had operators paid to run the equipment usually in 10 - 12 hour shifts. When at 80/80 the operators got paid a differential like shift workers would get paid for a night shift.
90 degrees F 10% rh is very comfortable 90 degrees F 90% rh unbearable to me.

Humidity plays a huge role in how hot it feels. Heat Index

β€œTo argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
This is a point I attempted to make earlier. I completely agree.

Tags
lanais, facing, sun, lanai, extended

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.