West Facing Lanai - no-no or overblown?

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

So if I get this thread correctly, it seems to run like just about any other thread -

People who have west facing Lanais say they are not a problem, or the problems are minor and easily dealt with

The people who do NOT have west facing Lanais say they are the scourge of existence in TV, and should be avoided at all costs.

HMMMMM Wonder who we should listen to?
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 04-19-2018, 01:10 PM

We have a south facing lanai with a corner of it facing west, in our house in Charlotte. We haven't sat outside in 5 years, and we've lived here 6. We are going to enclose it and put in a/c. It's too hot, as is our west-facing master bedroom. It's brutal May - early October.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 PM

In our case we would've preferred a non-west facing lanai; however, TV was offering a reduced price that was too good to pass up on our Fenney courtyard villa. So we bought the villa and we'll just have to figure out the lanai as we go. Glad we did because our same courtyard model we bought cost almost $40,000 more in the next courtyard villa neighborhood they built (new villa had a few changes, but not $40,000 worth of changes.) Guess we'll have to use some of the savings to do something with the lanai if needed.

I think you can have the best intentions of the things you want when buying your home, but sometimes other circumstances come into play that you didn't plan on such as for us TV reducing the price of the villa we bought. You just have to decide what you can absolutely live with or without.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:19 PM
fw102807

I think a lot of it also depends on how much you like or hate the heat. For some no matter which way their lanai faced they still would think it is too hot. We don't mind the heat.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:27 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. Yes, I expected those with West facing Lanai's to mostly be in favor of them or at least say not a big deal, but that's okay. I know it's like asking which Village is the best. We are not bothered by heat and we love sunsets. This home is on a view site with water behind it, so the distance to the homes across the pond provide for a good view of the sunset in the evening without obstruction by another home.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:00 PM
Sage

With an east facing lanai you can sit on the screened in porch in the morning and get fresh air and warmed up. In the afternoon, fresh air and you can see a laptop screen because the sun is not in your eyes.

If money is no object you can change anything. I wonder if orientation changes the value of the lot.

Spend a morning and afternoon at the house you are considering. If that's not possible go to a square and sit outside facing east in the morning and west in the afternoon one day and the opposite the next. Get a newspaper and coffee. It would be a shame to spend $200 - 350k and then find out.

I know we have an electrician that really knows about energy. If you are reading this thread can you comment on orientation and energy? All things being equal do utility bills vary by orientation?

Last edited by tomwed; 04-19-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
With an east facing lanai you can sit on the screened in porch in the morning and get fresh air and warmed up. In the afternoon, fresh air and you can see a laptop screen because the sun is not in your eyes.

If money is no object you can change anything. I wonder if orientation changes the value of the lot.

Spend a morning and afternoon at the house you are considering. If that's not possible go to a square and sit outside facing east in the morning and west in the afternoon one day and the opposite the next. Get a newspaper and coffee. It would be a shame to spend $200 - 350k and then find out.

I know we have an electrician that really knows about energy. If you are reading this thread can you comment on orientation and energy? All things being equal do utility bills vary by orientation?
Tom. I would think that each home gets the same amount of sunlight every day whether it faces east or west or north or south it still gets hottest air around it in the afternoon and evening, unless you think the homes on the sides of it shade it significantly or the mostly glass lanai doors would impact the heat intake a lot.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

We have a west facing lanai and we love it. Sure it gets warm at times but we have a ceiling fan and shades. We can see out but people cannot see in. Our lanai is not enclosed
Old 04-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We are from Texas and swore we would never consider a West lanai...guesswhat? Our perfect house has a west facing lanai. We love breakfast on the lanai and the backyard is shaded til about noon. We live here full time and our winter West lanai is great. In the summer we love having cocktails on our front porch.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:19 PM

Those who are responding to the query intelligently are taking into consideration the rising and setting sun and the difference between the suns location in the winter vs summer. And I have found the answers to be very informative. We built our home with the orientation based specifically on these facts. It has nothing to do with the houses next to us.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
Those who are responding to the query intelligently are taking into consideration the rising and setting sun and the difference between the suns location in the winter vs summer. And I have found the answers to be very informative. We built our home with the orientation based specifically on these facts. It has nothing to do with the houses next to us.
We bought our home because of the orientation. Front faces North and the back South.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Sage

I keep an outdoor thermometer in my garage and moved it around.. At 5pm it read 83 in the east facing lanai and 88 in the front of the house.

I don't feel like reading all this now but if I was buying a house I would.
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publicati...g%20Manual.pdf

Energy-Efficient
Florida Home Building

© Florida Solar Energy Center/University of Central Florida
1679 Clearlake Road, Cocoa, Florida 32922, USA

Last edited by tomwed; 04-19-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
For about two hours a day we get direct sunlight on the roofed part of the lanai and we have sun screens that roll down and fans.
Curious about your sun screens, are they installed between the lanai and birdcage? Hard to see where they are in your picture.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2018, 05:46 PM

I agree with those that commented on the heat of west facing lanai's. In the hot sun, the temperatures in the summer can easily be near 100 degrees. You can't imagine how hot and uncomfortable it would be to sit in such heat. Plus, late in the day, the sun is shining directly into your face. People we know that have that orientation either only use the lanai in the morning, or enclose it so they can have it air conditioned. And it may be a consideration as far as resale value as well. Many people in the know look for a north or east facing lanai when they are house shopping.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Platinum member

Another happy Villager with a west-facing lanai with large bird cage. Fantastic sunsets. Great for pool. We eat almost all of our meals outside with exception of cold, windy days and just a few hot days in summer. The fans in the lanai keep it comfortable most afternoons. I will admit that I much prefer heat to any cold.

Tags
lanais, facing, sun, lanai, extended

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.