Wet Carpet

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran member
Default Wet Carpet

The carpet in my front room is soaking wet, however, it is not coming from the window, which is completely dry. What could cause it?

Also, who can I call to come and completely dry the carpet so it doesn't mold?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Sage

It would be helpful to know what type of house you have. (frame, block, poured concrete )
Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

One thing to check is your downspouts and where they empty. Most have no splash blocks and most are a foot or less away from the slab. Heavy rains, let alone sustained tropical rains for hours on end push a very large volume of water down the spouts.

Not all direct the water sufficiently far enough from the house.

Long story....sustained water volume is able to get under the slab or between the slab and the house framing (and even blocks).

I have put extenders (available home depot/lowes) on all our downspouts taking the water 3 feet away from the base of the house.

Just one thing to check.

Do you have a double exterior door? Very frequently a direct driving rain will come between the doors.

Just to name a couple.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

Its cement stucco (poured concrete I guess is the same?) Maybe a silly question to some, but , whats the difference between block, poured concrete and cement stucco?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Sage

The designer model, Allamanda, is the only house built of poured concrete, to my knowledge, unless some courtyard villas may be poured concrete? The other houses are concrete block with a stucco finish or (CBS).
Old 09-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
One thing to check is your downspouts and where they empty. Most have no splash blocks and most are a foot or less away from the slab. Heavy rains, let alone sustained tropical rains for hours on end push a very large volume of water down the spouts.

Not all direct the water sufficiently far enough from the house.

Long story....sustained water volume is able to get under the slab or between the slab and the house framing (and even blocks).

I have put extenders (available home depot/lowes) on all our downspouts taking the water 3 feet away from the base of the house.

Just one thing to check.

Do you have a double exterior door? Very frequently a direct driving rain will come between the doors.

Just to name a couple.

Good luck.
I don't know how to do any of this, do you know who I can call to do it for me?

I appreciate your advice, but I can't climb up on ladders for extenders, which I don't even know how or what or where to put them.

Also, who can I call to dry the carpet before it gets mildew?

Please I just need the name of companies that do this stuff?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Try ServiceMaster
ServiceMaster Restoration by Top Notch provides water damage restoration, residential and commercial cleaning services
Old 09-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

thank you
Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Sage

Service pro can clean it up, but maybe want to think about just replacing the carpet after the slab and moldings dry out.

Mold starts to grow quick

Either way it's an insurance claim
Old 09-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

same thing happened here. 4 year old block house. A Holly. Our 3rd bedroom in front faces outside wall which faces directly EAST. All night it was pummeled with such heavy wind and rain. When looking out the window in bare feet this morning I felt dampness in the carpeting by the baseboard.
The outside - sand/dirt and landscape rock coverage is an inch or so higher than the concrete slab level. I assume a very small amount of water seeped into the crack between the slab and bottom of the block in that area.

I rolled up a couple bath towels to cover - although all it really needs is air to dry out. I may run a hairdryer over the area. I would say a cup or so of water seeped in. Nothing to worry about.

OP depends on amount that came in - if small as for us...it's nothing - and will probably never happen again unless Irma II arrives in the future.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Very difficult to get the pad dry.

Contact your insurance asap.

More likely than not, they will say replace.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post

I appreciate your advice, but I can't climb up on ladders for extenders, which I don't even know how or what or where to put them.

Also, who can I call to dry the carpet before it gets mildew?

Please I just need the name of companies that do this stuff?
Don't think it will help your problem.... but this is what he was talking about - Shop Amerimax FLEX-A-SPOUT 24-in White Vinyl Downspout Extension at Lowes.com

Good luck. I would think about calling Insurance Company.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post

Extenders are put on the *bottom* of downspouts and direct the water away from your foundation. You can also put down splash blocks that do the same thing.

Don't worry, if you don't know how to do something, just ask your friends, neighbors, or here on TOTV. We are all happy to help you. Don't despair.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:02 PM

I have used Floor Masters 352-748-544four for my carpets before. It is a very nice reputable father and daughter. They were very good!
Old 09-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Location: Osceola Hills, previously from Oviedo FL (Orlando area)

I agree with contacting Service Master. Depending on your insurance, you may be able to get assistance with the payment. I used Service master years ago when half my house was flooded due to a leak in washer hose. They did a wonderful job & they will set up fans & dry it Do not try to have it dry cleaned.
Closed Thread

Tags
carpet, wet, completely, dry, mold

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.