What % Own a Dog?

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-2-56 View Post
Friends and I are always impressed with all of the dog walkers, dogs in the parks and dogs riding in carts.
I love dogs but I cannot go through losing another one.

Has there ever been a poll or survey of what percentage of Villager’s homes have a canine?
Feline?
Either?

Just curious.
No survey.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,662 Times in 1,530 Posts

Chacun à son goût.

We're cat people presently. Have a gorgeous female, "Kitty". who was a rescue job from at St. Paul shelter about eight years ago and is an absolute joy to be around. Plus cats are easier to care for (we can leave Kitty for a couple of days with extra food and water and find her no worse for wear when we come home). Doing that with Rover invites disaster. We had a dog once that we left overnight and came home to find out that it had eaten the stereo.

Don't get me wrong. Dogs are great. Not called Man's best friend for no reason, and the dogs we had when I was a younger buck were great companions and helpers. But to me a dog is a big panting, slobbering pal that shares your lunch with you, lays on your feet at the end of a long day to warm them up, chases birds and rabbits, bites the occasional porcupine and rolls in dung when it thinks you're not looking. Our dogs would have died of embarrassment had we dolled them up, forced them to wear sweaters, booties or bows and wheeled them around in carriages.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:27 AM

On our street, 14%. Fourteen homes, 2 dogs.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:32 AM
Default dogs

my street 13 houses 15 dogs
Old 01-10-2022, 07:33 AM
Default Dog - god😉

Never Trust someone that doesn’t like dogs🧐 I’ll take a dog friendship over human friendship any day😉 I could come up with thousands of reasons why but I don’t need to write them down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
Yuck. No dogs for us. I dislike them and sure would not walk around picking up crap in a baggie.
I dog in our cul de sac of 5 houses. And 1 parrot.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:34 AM
Default ☺️

Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
We have a 9 year old dog, if she hits 15 like our other Bichon that would put my wife and I at 76 years old. Another dog? Not a good idea because then the dog becomes an orphan once we both die.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:38 AM
Default 👍🏻

Yes🥰

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellavita View Post
If a dog brings you joy get another saying goodbye hurts but you can find another loving companion perhaps give a dog a new life out of a shelter. Pets are like people we do not replace someone we love but we can love another. By not doing so you deny yourself joy and love. Rescue a dog and in a minute you will wonder…who rescued who❤️😎
Old 01-10-2022, 07:42 AM
Default It sounds like 12-14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymar528 View Post
On our street, 14%. Fourteen homes, 2 dogs.
Your sounds like the typical neighborhood from those that responded.
Now, to confess a little. I have always been kind of a dog whisperer. Most all of the dogs that I have partnered with were sort of rescued.
I came back from the service with a puppy, troops fed the mother and father drugs.
I had two Aussies at the same time, they never had a leash and did not need one.
We found a puppy in a ditch one time and could not give him away, he was ours, we rescued one from a puppy mill. We got one at the humane society another from a neighs litter when he adopted a stray pregnant damn. The there was Buster, our last, two years gone and I still tear up from my buddy leaving. He had only one redeeming quality, he was a nice dog. He did not do tricks, he bothered nothing, he had worry fur that was not good to pet, one ear up, one down, runt of the litter and he may wander to one house either side of us but he always used the sidewalk, ndd we ver tge yard. He was just nice and such a spectacular friend. I am crying again, and thanks for your help.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:44 AM
Default Dogs

Quote:
Friends and I are always impressed with all of the dog walkers, dogs in the parks and dogs riding in carts.

Has there ever been a poll or survey of what percentage of Villager’s homes have a canine?
Feline?
Either?

Just curious.
I am so sorry for your loss😢
It is so painful to lose your dog it is soul crushing and I always swear I’m not going to get another one but then I stop and think of how painful it is for a shelter dog being locked in a cage and afraid so I summon the courage to get another one and the pain I feel from the loss melts into a love for my new friend. I hope someday you will be ready for that next love.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellavita View Post
If a dog brings you joy get another saying goodbye hurts but you can find another loving companion perhaps give a dog a new life out of a shelter. Pets are like people we do not replace someone we love but we can love another. By not doing so you deny yourself joy and love. Rescue a dog and in a minute you will wonder…who rescued who❤️������
I'm a dog volunteer at Your Humane Society/SPCA near Lake Panasoffkee and of the 16 dogs we have right now, 7 have been waiting between 325 and1050 days for someone to come in and give them a forever home. One is a 9-year old senior who has been at the shelter for approx. 750 days.

Last edited by meridian5850; 01-10-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenault55 View Post
I am so sorry for your loss😢
It is so painful to lose your dog it is soul crushing and I always swear I’m not going to get another one but then I stop and think of how painful it is for a shelter dog being locked in a cage and afraid so I summon the courage to get another one and the pain I feel from the loss melts into a love for my new friend. I hope someday you will be ready for that next love.
See post #40
Old 01-10-2022, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I'd guess, less than 50%.

On our little street............both sides, 19 houses, one dog.
I agree with you dewilson58!
Old 01-10-2022, 08:15 AM

I guess it’s about 10%
Old 01-10-2022, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Feline?
Either?

Just curious.
25 houses - 8 dogs, zero cats. All loved.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Feline?
Either?

Just curious.
I'm a dog lover but when I first came here at the age of 56, I couldn't understand why so many people had dogs. I am 75 now, and four years ago I adopted a rescue dog and six months later another. I now know why so many people have dogs. Best decision I have made in years!
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, dog, poll, survey, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.