What about free community travel in the villages for seniors that cannot drive

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2021, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,517 Posts

No car?
No golf cart?
The money you save on them, you will be better off financially just using taxis to get around.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:51 PM

If you move to say Gainesville they have plenty of public transportation. The only public transportation in TV starts in Spanish Springs near the square and goes down near Leesburg. More people out of the bubble use it than those in the bubble.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:28 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Nothing is free. This is an important concept to know. Someone pays for everything and when a community offers free something on a continuing basis like transportation, right off the top of my head I think of vehicles, insurance, drivers, insurance, salaries, maintenance on vehicles, scheduling, etc. These little "kind" things soon add up to all of us being sent the bill and soon people who have carefully planned out their money and budget can no longer afford to live here. There is no big benevolent mother who is going to handle this. Frankly, I do not see it as a need. We have transportation that can be hired. And if that doesn't work, then individuals need to move to other areas and make other plans.

P.S. Joel, I have just read through your previous posts and it appears you are on Long Island thinking to relocate to Florida. If you have not done so, please come here and stay a week and ask questions of folks on the squares and in restaurants. We are used to it and you will see the opinions are strong in admiration of this wonderful place.

PLUS most people who cannot or don't want to drive cars choose to get around in their golf cart and if they can see clearly and have their full functioning mind, that is a good choice instead of public transportation. Golf carts can get you to the doctor and the stores and to other peoples homes and to the squares....
Nailed it
Old 02-21-2021, 02:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm in favor of a taxi or other transportation service in The Villages. But, why should it be free or at a reduced price? Just provide the service and charge an appropriate price.
Right.

UBER.

Taxi rates UBER in The Villages, FL
Old 02-21-2021, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,737 Posts

Who would you like to pay for it? Your neighbor? I like the idea of public transportation but I have never been anywhere in the world where it was free.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Bicycle.

If that is too much physical exertion, ebike.

Balance issues? E-trike ideally a recumbent.

We are literally just back from a 19 mile run to Lowe's on an ebike and e-trike. We even passed an amputee who was powering a recumbent trike by hand.

Surely your problems are less to overcome than that, right?
Old 02-21-2021, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Sorry op this place is not really built to rely on public transportation.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:27 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
If you move to say Gainesville they have plenty of public transportation. The only public transportation in TV starts in Spanish Springs near the square and goes down near Leesburg. More people out of the bubble use it than those in the bubble.
As I stated in a previous post, if you live in the Sumter County section of The Villages, public transportation is available here -> Transit | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Old 02-21-2021, 04:41 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,335 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
As I stated in a previous post, if you live in the Sumter County section of The Villages, public transportation is available here -> Transit | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
That seems to be rather limited as you have to go along their routes with a maximum 3/4 mile deviation for door to door. That seems to be more for medical and grocery shopping, nice to know it's available though.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:43 PM
Sage

I would mention that we have tenants that moved here from out of state ages 92 and 85 and the very first thing they did was to buy a golf car.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

You know, it really is none of our business as to WHY he wants the information he wants. So putting him on the defense with suggestions that have nothing to do with what he's asking for, is not very nice, even if it's well-intended. He's not asking for alternatives to driving a car. He's asking about transportation options for people who don't drive, period. Not "don't drive cars but can drive other things." Suggesting a golf cart or e-bike to a blind person is - just not nice. But we don't know WHY he isn't a driver. We know only that he isn't one, and that should be enough information to recommend, or not recommend, any transportation options that involve "someone else doing the driving."
Old 02-21-2021, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2918 View Post
Nothing is free. Things given away first have to be taken or gifted by another.

You are never entitled to someone else's property, mo matter what a political party tells you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What does politics have to do with it??
Uhhhh, this is TOTV ... virtually everything. Even dog poop, Costco and Trader Joe's turns political somehow and usually gets blamed on mask wearing.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You know, it really is none of our business as to WHY he wants the information he wants. So putting him on the defense with suggestions that have nothing to do with what he's asking for, is not very nice, even if it's well-intended. He's not asking for alternatives to driving a car. He's asking about transportation options for people who don't drive, period. Not "don't drive cars but can drive other things." Suggesting a golf cart or e-bike to a blind person is - just not nice. But we don't know WHY he isn't a driver. We know only that he isn't one, and that should be enough information to recommend, or not recommend, any transportation options that involve "someone else doing the driving."

I think all of the available options have been noted and additionally the golf car and bike recommendations were added, this should not put him or her on the defensive. A trike of example may not have been something he though about and it just might fit his lifestyle, who knows. He or she received a lot of good replies in addition to the limited public transportation that is available here.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default There comes a time in everyones life when they just have to accept...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
As you know what good is all the amenities if you can't get there to use them. What I said is what can do so seniors can afford to PAY THAT will be able to make available to seniors like myself to get to these amenities. I will take this into consideration when looking AT THE VILLAGES AND WHEN BUYING, TO ME THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND TO MANY FUTURE BUYERS AT THE VILLAGES. If they won't or can't we will move on to communities that will or do have community transportation. Thank you for your time.
that as they get older and less able to cope with everyday issues that they have to accept that their diminished abilities will shrink their world and their place in it. You won't be able to make your way to various amenities then you'll either have to make friends with those who can take you there and back, live somewhere else that does provide transport(it is never free but figured into costs you pay to live there), or take up activities which don't require travel.

If the villages isn't your cup of tea because of this one issue then you are in for extreme disappointment as most 55+ communities that do provide transport do so to libraries, museums, parks and dr. appt's. Now it seems to me that if you can afford these other places you can find a friend willing to drive or just fork over some of your money for Lyft, uber or a taxi.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Expensive. From my Uber APP, $29 (+tip) from my house in Amelia to TV Hospital (6.2 miles, 13 minutes per Google Maps) just as an example. They also now have a $5.50 cancellation fee! All assuming they actually show up. According to that chart about $23. Also varies depending how busy they are and time of day.
Closed Thread

Tags
drive, amenities, travel, community, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.