What about free community travel in the villages for seniors that cannot drive

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2021, 11:36 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Exactly, I think a very compelling reason to live here is that you are NOT burning up one tank of gasoline after another like in the working years, and can get to most anything with a cart, dentist, barber, groceries, vet, name it. So nice, if well heeled, can even have AC or at least a nice fan in the cart, can have doors that allow for nearly all weather, some even have a heater. These carts are pricey but, if you don't have the expense of a car.... pretty good deal. Go back and figure what you spent in a traditional community when you had to drive an auto to get a loaf of bread, plus driving to work (if you did) and the savings in fuel, insurance, registration, etc. is mind boggling ! You can pay for all your transportation and.... have money to pay for a vacation too ! Down side is the HOA fees, or amenity fees as they call it here, since if you don't play golf or swim it's a lot to pay each month when the other classes, clubs and activities are pretty much what you can find for free anywhere, hobby clubs, dance clubs, card groups, exercise classes are all just volunteer residents. You do not get any lawn services, leaf removal, nothing really if you are used to your HOA covering a lot of your expenses, so something to think over. It's a LOT if you don't use "amenities" like golf courses. Pretty pricey for those who don't do these things. In that case a smaller community with one pool and rec center where people gather to chat, play cards, etc. might be more cost effective, or where you get some services for your HOA. BTW, while the villages claims they have no HOA fees here, if you use Zillow, they DO list the "amenity" fee as a HOA fee as you must pay it even if you don't use them.

Last edited by Pairadocs; 02-21-2021 at 11:42 PM. Reason: mis spell
Old 02-22-2021, 06:48 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,286 Times in 1,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Expensive. From my Uber APP, $29 (+tip) from my house in Amelia to TV Hospital (6.2 miles, 13 minutes per Google Maps) just as an example. They also now have a $5.50 cancellation fee! All assuming they actually show up. According to that chart about $23. Also varies depending how busy they are and time of day.
Depending on you frequency of use it's most likely cheaper than owning a car.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 895 Posts

My opinion, no free transportation for anyone here. TV was designed as a golf cart active lifestyle community. When one buys in through the new home ownership method, you pay for the development, the infrastruture included, as well as the activities, and the active lifestyle, as advertised. unable to drive is not an active lifestyle, and am not willing to pay others to join the lifestyle as an exception for free.

Sorry, and I am not insulting the OP by making alternative suggestions which is not the question posed.

sportsguy and coachK
Old 02-22-2021, 11:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts

IMO the OP's "question" is not really a question posed for the sake of getting an answer. The answers are as obvious for TV as they are for a suburb of Cleveland, or somewhere on Long Island. The question is a rhetorical one, wrapped inside a criticism of TV. Another question, or a statement, it's a bit confusing to me, that the OP asks in a subsequent post is "What good are the amenities if you can't get to them?",,,fair question, but an easy answer: "not much". I didn't come here expecting free transportation, and when the day comes that I can't get myself around one way or another, it will be time to consider an alternate living arrangement. If I were unable to get myself around, I don't think TV would have had much appeal for me.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Is anyone responsible for themselves any more?

If they can't get around on their own they need to provide for some alternative form of transportation. If they can't do that, then that's what families are for.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:10 PM

After retiring I drove for a medical transportation company. There is a national program for free medical transportation. there are requirements for its usage. how many villagers will qualify I have no clue.

The website for the service

Home | Welcome to LogistiCare
Old 02-22-2021, 06:18 PM
Veteran member

I just re-read the original message. OP does not say that he is disabled or currently unable to drive. He could be thinking about "down the road" when/if that might be the case.

I also just perused his previous posts. He has a lot of ... concerns ... about retiring to TV and to FL in general. He never says he has visited TV in person. Yet people were nice enough to fill up three pages with suggestions about whether TV might work for him. Seems like this place has a lot of very nice/helpful folks. I think that is worth a couple of points in the "PRO VILLAGES" column.

kathy
Old 02-22-2021, 10:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Is anyone responsible for themselves any more?

If they can't get around on their own they need to provide for some alternative form of transportation. If they can't do that, then that's what families are for.
There are senior communities that provide transportation all around those communities. I remember visiting my grandparents at Century Village in Deerfield Beach when they moved there. They had a "tram" which was basically a tractor that pulled an open box trailer behind it, that was fitted with bench seats. It went in a loop all throughout the community, stopped at the clubhouse, and went through its own special path around to a small strip-mall outside the gates (this is an actual gated community, not just a community with gates).

So that's where my head was, when I read the OP's first post in this thread. I assumed he was hoping to find something similar - because it's not a novel idea, it's been around at least since the 1980's, which was when my grandparents moved there. I'm guessing there are lots of places these trams are used.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There are senior communities that provide transportation all around those communities. I remember visiting my grandparents at Century Village in Deerfield Beach
My grandparents lived there as well many many years ago however it's land area was not larger than New York City as it is here in T.V.. The only way around that would be centralized picks up at, for example, rec centers but that would create the same problem as people would still have to get to the rec centers. Also, here, unless they had dozens of vehicles it would take hours to get around to each rec center. Doubt anything like that is even remotely possible here due to the size and layout of this place.
Closed Thread

Tags
drive, amenities, travel, community, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.