Do I want/ need a water softener ?

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 PM
Default Do I want/ need a water softener ?

I am moving down to TV in 2 months from MN when my new house is ready. I was told that I will have salesman knocking on my door trying to sell me a water softener ? Do I even need one and why ?
Also I hear the tap water doesn't taste too well down there. What do people do about this ?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Veteran member

You don't need one but you may want one. If you want one buy it at Lowe's for about $500 and have a plumber install it. We have a softener and a whole house filter all for under $1,000.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 PM

Don't buy anything from people knocking on your door.
Take the advice of Opus.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You will have a number of people knocking at your door for various reasons.
Don't let any of them give you their spiel, including a woman that says she is from a Welcome Wagon.
They are all hustlers.

If you find you want a water softener, hold off and see if you really need one.

We have an Eco System -- probably the best, most efficient (but expensive) one you can buy.
We brought it with us from our old house.
We have found we don't need it. and have never installed it.

We are used to the taste of the water.
We use Finish and liquid Jet Dry in our Dishwasher and our dishes and silverware sparkle.

We also do not have a pest control service and never had a bug problem.
I don't call one or two bugs here or there, a problem.
You will find that just about everyone will tell you that you must spray and that you need this service.

My advice would be to move in, get comfortable and play the wait and see game.
I'm sure you will find that you don't need half the services everyone tells you you need.

Go luck with your move!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekcormn View Post
I am moving down to TV in 2 months from MN when my new house is ready. I was told that I will have salesman knocking on my door trying to sell me a water softener ? Do I even need one and why ?
Also I hear the tap water doesn't taste too well down there. What do people do about this ?
Been here 4 years
IMHO -- no!!!

Almost never take clothes to cleaners(shirts etc) Buy mostly no wrinkle and they come out ready to wear without a system Water taste fine to me.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

Do not like the taste of the water from the tap. Had a home in Pennecamp and now Sanibel. Used bottled water or Pur water filter countertop version in Pennecamp. I am considering installing the Nova Filtration sysem here in Sanibel. Do not particulary care for soft water.
Also, a previously warned, be careful of the "door knockers", especially the Welcome Wagon person. Advice also, is to keep your garage door closed because that is an open invitation when the door to door sellers go by and see it filled with boxes, etc. They know there is a "newbie" in town.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

No, you do not need a water softener but may want one if you like soft water. The water in the Villages is considered "hard" and some people prefer the feel of soft water. There can also be some issues of scale build-up with hard water - a water softener will address this by removing the calcium and magnesium that create the hardness.

The water does not (to me) taste very good and a carbon filter will remove the chlorine and provide tastier water (as well as increase the lifespan of the water softener if you have one).

I have a water softener from Home Depot and a 2 canister sediment and carbon filter (20"x4.5") I bought off the internet and installed by a local plumber.

The water is safe to drink and you do not need to do either of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekcormn View Post
Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I disposed of my water softener a week ago. Now I have great water by Nova.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

We use tap water for making coffee and cooking. We drink bottled water. In our case, I don't feel the need for a water softener or purification system. Like it was mentioned, wait until you move in and get settled. Then you'll figure out what you need and don't need. Don't spend a lot of money right away on much of anything, except a golf cart☺
Old 03-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Gold member

We have used a Brita pitcher for years and it works great. We use it for coffee and Iced tea. We drink the water from the fridge, it's filtered and cold. The door knocker who tried to sell us a softener wanted $6,000 for his brand, the most expensive softener I have ever heard of. We don't have one and don't need it.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

We waited around 6 weeks, and then purchased a Sears water softener and Sears whole house filter, and had them installed, total cost under %1500. NOW you can get a combo unit, and installed cost should be around $1000.
I periodically test the water, no hardness, no chlorine, and no salt. Tastes great (goodbye to several hundred dollars/ year in bottled water cost), and the crystal in our dishwasher comes out as clean and clear as the new pieces we have not used, WITHOUT the use of Jet Dry.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:54 AM

The aquifers that your water came from in Minnesota are much deeper then the aquifers in Florida. The water in MN had to go threw a lot of lime stone and has lots of calcium. The Florida water is not as hard as what you had in MN. I think you will be happy with the Florida water for everything but drinking it but a carbon filter will fix that problem.
Bob, White Bear LK.MN
Old 03-06-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I disposed of my water softener a week ago. Now I have great water by Nova.
I had Nova installed a few weeks ago but kept my water softner because I like soft water. As Jimbo told me I now have polished soft water and the Nova system has removed the salt.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:57 AM

Newest SCAM

Just this morning I received a call from a person with the most horrible smokers cough and back ground noise of a marketing call room. This person was trying to lead me to believe she was with Home Depot, and knew we had moved in recently. She said they had a free Home Depot money card for me, and when they DELIVERED the card they would give us a complementary water test. Now that's the newest scam here in the hood, that same company will send you a card in the mail.
I looked up the company from the card and found it to be Pegasus water systems in Wildwood. Buyer beware

Old 03-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Water softeners replace calcium and magnesium ions with sodium or potassium ions, depending on whether you use sodium chloride or potassium chloride for the resin regeneration. Calcium and magnesium ions are what gives water it's hardness. Sodium is not salt. Sodium chloride is salt and the chloride is essentially stripped off during resin regeneration and dumped. The only way to remove the additional sodium (or potassium) is with a reverse osmosis system (or a distillation system). The sodium that is added, assuming you use sodium chloride to regenerate the resin, is pretty low (approximately 22 mgs per cup of water) but some people prefer not to have the additional sodium. Using potassium chloride for resin regeneration is common for people who don't want the additional sodium. Regardless, only reverse osmosis systems or distillation systems will remove the sodium or potassium that is added as part of the resin regeneration, and other dissolved solids. Typically these are not of any issue unless you are trying to restrict sodium intake (and, if so, use potassium chloride for resin regeneration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
I had Nova installed a few weeks ago but kept my water softner because I like soft water. As Jimbo told me I now have polished soft water and the Nova system has removed the salt.

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-06-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.