What are the biggest rip-off co.s in TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Veteran member

How about the notorious Davis Clinic. They can cure anything?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
👍👍👍
Old 04-17-2018, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
A good contractor should not need upfront money. They should be able to finance the project startup. To me, it is a sign of an under-financed company. Yes, a credit card will give you some protection, but remember, that you only have 60 days to dispute a credit card charge, so you need to have it in writing that the work you pay for will be completed within 60 days. And, if they do some work and then disappear, you will need to convince the bank that the credit card charge should be removed. Banks usually side with the merchant unless you have a very convincing case.
That is not always the case my husband has been a contractor all his life and done very well. Something to consider is the folks that don't pay and want to screw the contractor.
So when delivering the equipment at the day of installation 1/2 down is required to at least secure the items brought on the job. Unfortunately the door swings both ways my friend just a FYI.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, you list three good ones that are well documented on TOTV although we have not had any “dealings” with any of them. However, We would add Whirlpool Appliances to this list. We know a number of friends, neighbors and acquaintances (including ourselves) that have had “issues” with whirlpool refrigerators, ranges, and microwaves that were installed in new homes in The Villages. At one time, Warranty Department handled these problems but don’t anymore. Whirlpool, like similar large corporations, will consume your time and transfer you around until you just give up and “eat” an economic loss in order to move on to more important things in life. Definitely put Whirlpool on the list.
I would add almost all new appliance brands......
Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 AM
Sage

If you buy your appliances with a MasterCard, the factory warranty is doubled
Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
That is not always the case my husband has been a contractor all his life and done very well. Something to consider is the folks that don't pay and want to screw the contractor.
So when delivering the equipment at the day of installation 1/2 down is required to at least secure the items brought on the job. Unfortunately the door swings both ways my friend just a FYI.

We had a neighbor a few doors down that would brag about the money he saved screwing contractors doing work at his home. Obviously all of the local contractors knew to avoid him. When I was in business my contract stated 1/2 down when materials delivered and job started, but trying to get final FULL payment when job was finished was a pain at times....
Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage

When I was in business, and in NJ you could not force sale of a property to satisfy a lien, if and when the property was sold you might get paid

My attorney told me, "Moses is still waiting to get paid on the pyramid job"
Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
AMEN!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
I have no problem paying for materials and/or labor that have been delivered or installed. But, I never pay a contractor who hasn't done anything. That has been my policy for 50 years, and I have had a lot of work done. And, there are plenty of contractors who will do a project that way. This site is loaded with posts where someone has paid in advance and been ripped off.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If you buy your appliances with a MasterCard, the factory warranty is doubled
Please explain " How ".
Old 04-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Sage

Read your contract with master card--duh
Old 04-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Platinum member

This guy has been blasted on TOTV over and over, but people still try to use his service.

site:www.talkofthevillages.com marc cart rentals - Google Search
Old 04-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Sage

a sucker is born every minute
Old 04-17-2018, 08:14 PM
Default My 2 cents

Good.... Edison Concrete Creations / Fiesta Pools / Jody Wilson Screen Enclosures / Solar Trek / Frank D'Angelo Home Inspections / Steve Lazdowski Villages Realtor / Dr. David Ethier Orthopedic Surgeon / I Barbecue 441 Fruitland Park / Mystic Ice Cream Cafe 466A / Burger Station Colony Plaza / Peggy's Strawberry Pie my house

Bad.... SERVICE FART!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Ludwigs View Post
Good.... Edison Concrete Creations / Fiesta Pools / Jody Wilson Screen Enclosures / Solar Trek / Frank D'Angelo Home Inspections / Steve Lazdowski Villages Realtor / Dr. David Ethier Orthopedic Surgeon / I Barbecue 441 Fruitland Park / Mystic Ice Cream Cafe 466A / Burger Station Colony Plaza / Peggy's Strawberry Pie my house

Bad.... SERVICE FART!
Yep. When the BBB gives you an F it really should be a red flag. Only takes a couple minutes to check contractors out either here or on a search, lots of bad ones out there and it's a shame people keep hiring them and paying in advance. We started with Deans who I dismissed after 5 months or so of damage, poor service, and lies but at least I didn't have to pay up front or sign a contract with them. I now do it myself and have a great looking healthy lawn. A lot of people say they didn't come down here to do yard work and I didn't either but 30 minutes of outside work a week is good for you and it eliminates the need for threads such as this one. Also good for your blood pressure by not having to deal with these people.
Closed Thread

Tags
companies, vir, mgt, property, talking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.