What to bring to TV, what to leave behind

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Sage

Champ,

Thanks for the post, you are right on!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Veteran member
Smile Ditto Nonie....

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Sorry, SABRMnLgs. This post make no sense and has no bearing on what we might bring to TV.
I agree, was confused myself .
Great ideas from everyone, it sure has motivated me to get rid of alot!!
Good idea for a post!!
Jeanne

P.S. Go Mark Martin!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:50 PM

We got rid of almost everything and started fresh with alot of things. Our furniture was decent but most we had for 20 years or so and alot of it was big and bulky. I have a small kitchen in TV so I simplified. I do cook alot at home so I needed kitchen tools, but it is amazing how little you do need. You don't need 3 or 4 pyrex dishes anymore--one will do. I didn't need the 24 set of dishes, water and wine glasses for the big family parties, so I split them up with my nephew and daughter. Even they didn't want 24! I had 2 1/2 years to prepare, so I had several garage sales after I figured out what stuff the kids and family wanted. Our garage sales were priced to sell. I felt better giving it away for a small amount than just tossing it to the curb. When all else was done, I called in a local charity that would pick up and they took the rest.

I have only been here since Jan, so I still have nothing in my dining room (gave my huge dining and hutch to my daughter)--but I am thinking I will make it a game area--not sure yet and I am playing too much to find what I want to do with it. I still have a Florida room that I am using as a sewing room and have a plastic table and chairs that I watch the wonderful lightening storms from. Someday that will look better.

Life IS different in TV. I read the paper, I play cards with the neighbors (their house or ours), I play golf 2-3 times a week, I am on a bowling league, I cook dinner and I do enjoy inviting a few friends over for dinner. I never did any of these activties back home when I worked.

Big parties are usually held in garages and everyone brings something to eat, their own chair, and own drinks. The one thing I didn't bring that I should have is the 8 foot plastic fold up table for the block parties. I will probably need to buy one of those.

Thnk about how much it costs to move. Is what you are bringing worth it, and if so bring it. Garage sales are fun to go to also here. Even with all my cleaning out, my garage attic is full and some day I will be having my own garage sale. Good luck and hurry----you are missing a wonderful chapter of your life.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Sage

Garsha,

"GOOD LUCK AND HURRY, YOU ARE MISSING A WONDERFUL CHAPTER OF YOUR LIFE"

truer words were never spoken, here in lies the desperation of so many of us wannabees!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Veteran member
Smile So Very True!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
Garsha,

"GOOD LUCK AND HURRY, YOU ARE MISSING A WONDERFUL CHAPTER OF YOUR LIFE"

truer words were never spoken, here in lies the desperation of so many of us wannabees!

Both of you have sent a great message to all of us wannabees/gonnabees!
Thank you!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Sage

garsha, great post! I sooo want to push Fast Forward and move to TV now. <sigh>

TV Gonna Be... 2012
Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM

We just moved to TV this week. When we decided to sell our home we started to get rid of things we didn't fell we would need or could use. By the time we were done we decided to take 2 end tables, a small curio, my good china and everyday dishes. We liquidated anything we had left and that helped toward to cost of the move. GOOD LUCK.

Mouse (a/k/a Phyllis)

Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Just some thoughts and each person is different.

I find I use three or four glass baking dishes when I have folks over for dinner. Also quickly needed at least ONE card table and chairs and if we live there all the time will need two. (People over for games and larger potluck suppers.) Also for puzzles and crafts.

I like the new pretty colors in the hi tech plastic glasses that don't get crazed in the dishwasher and use them in TV. I brought a decent set of wine glasses, both flute and regular and water goblets for dinner parties and I have used them several times.

Sweetie installed a fold away ironing board in the garage. Out of the way and not taking up space.

Bring your sewing basket. I have found many uses for it in our first four month visit.

Because of the lifestyle, the dishwasher may not be run every day so more knives, forks and spoons are good to have. Same with glasses.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 PM

If we ever get to move to The Villages I'll have to put my wife on an IV drip to put her "under" while I pack and throw things out. ;-) After we're on the road I'll gradually lower the dose, remove the IV and she'll be awake and happy but a bit suprised over the tiny U-Haul trailer behind us. "My, how did you ever manage to pack all that stuff into that tiny trailer?"
Old 06-04-2009, 03:14 PM

This may be a little off topic but in reading all the suggestions about Christmas decorations, it made me wonder if lots of people stay in tv at Christmas or most go "back home" or wherever their families are.

I'm getting married on Aug. l and moving to tv a week later, so I'm also in the decision aking time for "stuff". Have collected a whole lot in the last 40 years!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Leland Jane - I had the same dilemma when I started this thread - I saved Mr. Macaroni - first grade Santa that moves, and all ornaments that included childrens pictures and donated the rest to AmVets. I thought about a garage sale, but we are on such a short time span, I did not want to mess with it and I am only moving from an hour away (orlando) We put up a tree last year and never saw much of it since it was in the living room - we spent Christmas with different sons - Christmas Eve at one house, Christmas day at another - the year before with another son out of state. If I decide to decorate, it will be on a small level except for whatever the street does - I have seen some Villages put the same decorations out.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn8757 View Post
Ladies - did you bring the wedding china? As I sit here wrapping it up, I am torn between bringing it with me as I have for the past 38 years or giving it to my daughter-in-law. I used it for family dinners since we had a rather large family, but I am wondering if people use their china much. I am leaving my china cabinet which means I will have to fit everything in kitchen cabinets. Thoughts?
What about all those Christmas decorations? I still have the painted macaroni decorations my kids made for crying out loud. I am wondering if we would even stay there for Christmas or go to one of the boys houses. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
I move her from ct in 2009 did not bring china that had since married 49 years did not bring alot of brickbrack and found out less is more don't bring to many dress clothes because life is casual here good luck
Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 PM

It depends on your lifestyle whether or not to bring the good china and sterling sliver. I still have dinner parties. I had 4 couples over for Thanksgiving dinner and used all my good stuff. It made it fun and it made it special. I also brought a set of Christmas dishes. I had a Christmas luncheon for my neighbor girl friends and used the dishes. Most of my entertaining is causal but once in a while it is fun to be fancy.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM

I'm in an apartment now and really don't have a way to sell things. So, i thought I would bring it all with us and mark the things I want to sale, "GARAGE"... and leave it in the garage for a few days. Then have a yard sale in TV within the 1st week and what is left, I will be more comfortable to give the leftovers to Goodwill. That's my thought right now....but there is always tomorrow to change my mind. These are the 'hard decisions' to make. Deciding to TV was a no-brainer!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Smile What to bring and what to leave behind..

We have been settled in our home for 19 plus years since my husband retired from the Navy. Since we made our LSV in Dec and made the decision to move to TV's we have been in constant go of down sizing from every room in the house. Its funny but we toss, sell, donate and pack and then repeat the process a month later.. Getting down to the wire where we hope to be putting the house on the market early March...then we will be playing the waiting game. The more I read on not to bring much, has me wondering if the furnishings we have really need to go or find a new home here?? And since we have not purchased a home yet we really have no idea what our needs will be...Thanks to everyone who shares their decision making process...it is really good food for thought.
Ebsmom~
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.