What is the cost of a new roof in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2020, 07:55 AM

My Amarillo was $7900 including the linai area. I paid for this myself...no insurance claim.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,042 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Wow those are some high prices. We had the roof replaced on our home we had in Tennessee about 3 years ago for $6,000 with top grade shingles. The house is 1,500 sq ft with a two car garage.
We had ours done in Va about 8 years ago for about $ 5000 with highly rated shingles with 30 or 40 year life.

Wonder if Florida and possibility of hurricane force winds have anything to do with the cost.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 AM

There are a number of “door knocking” roofing companies offering a “free inspection” canvassing the 15+ year old neighborhoods. If they find damage, (which they always do), they offer to negotiate with your insurance company on your behalf to get them to pay.
I called The Villages Insurance to get their advice, since they are my insurer. I was advised to call the warranty department. They will inspect your roof for free, and make their recommendations as to whether or not a new roof is really needed.
One thing that Villages Insurance stressed heavily was, DO NOT sign anything with these canvassing roofing companies! You will lose control of what happens in the negotiating process!
Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 AM

There are a number of “door knocking” roofing companies offering a “free inspection” canvassing the 15+ year old neighborhoods. If they find damage, (which they always do), they offer to negotiate with your insurance company on your behalf to get them to pay.
I called The Villages Insurance to get their advice, since they are my insurer. I was advised to call the warranty department. They will inspect your roof for free, and make their recommendations as to whether or not a new roof is really needed.
One thing that Villages Insurance stressed heavily was, DO NOT sign anything with these canvassing roofing companies! You will lose control of what happens in the negotiating process!
Old 08-02-2020, 09:12 AM
Default Roof

QUOTE=Raywatkins;1811872]We are Brits with a second home in TV. We find every job on the house expensive compared to the UK.
We needed our roof replaced and went to Batterbee Roofing, following a recommendation from a neighbour. The first thing the sales guy said was why pay ourselves when the insurance company would probably pay. Now we are quite dumb when it comes to how things work in the US. So we were sceptical. But we went to our insurers and within a week their person had visited and we had a check for $10k. We were stunned - that would not have happened in the UK.
Batterbee then went through the various options and we went for a higher grade roof with transferable guarantee. Our roof is around 1800 sq ft.
The total cost was $15k.
The insurance company sent us a further check for just over $2k when the job was completed. Our deductible was $1k. Had we not upgraded the roof that would have been the limit of our cost.
Batterbee did a great job - as confirmed by the wind expert we had to produce our certificate for the insurers.
Hope that helps[/QUOTE

What kind of damage did u have ??
Old 08-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thank you everybody for the information
Old 08-02-2020, 10:20 AM

We have a Lantana with a large covered patio, had S&W roofing out of gainesville do our roof for $10,200. He let us pick out any shingles and he replaced all 3 large round vents, cleaned up as though he was never there. Really great guy and professional roofing contractor. Will on 352-390-4500
Old 08-02-2020, 10:26 AM

W&S did our roof and we had to pay ourselves as our insurance company cancelled our insurance, American Integrity, as I filed a claim and they said $600 in repairs, I resubmitted the claim and they cancelled us. No roofer would make the repairs and guarantee the roof. I got 5 bids and W&S was the most reasonable $10,200.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregory View Post
Do you mind me asking why you were referred to your insurance company and the reason they paid money to you for your roof?
Yes, I'd like to know also.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Had three bids: $15-16K, $18K+ and finally $9700 with architectural shingles. Bowles Roofing. Great job, and very detailed.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:03 PM

Why did you refer it to your insurance company ?
Old 08-02-2020, 03:57 PM

The proper way to ask the question is: How much per "square". A square, in roofing language, is 10' X 10'. Then the next thing you need to know is: How many squares are on your roof or the area of your roof? Most people do not want to walk the roof and find that out. That puts you at the mercury of the estimator. Then there is the starter shingles need and the caps which is another square or two depending on the roof. "Gable" style roofs take less caps, hip roofs take more caps. Twenty year roofs cost less then thirty or fifty year roofs. Then there are other services such as new boots around the vents and flashing.... Once you answer all those questions, then you ask: "how much per square"? if you know all those answers, you can calculate the cost per square yourself. Be sure you compare the number of squares from one quote to another. Some will overestimate the number of squares and under the estimate the cost per square to make it appear they are more competitive. Get two or three estimates. There are good roofers and then there are the carpetbaggers. Ask your insurance agent or some other trusted local who they are. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

We had our CYV replaced this past May it’s a 1200 sq ft villa. $7500 with Sack Roofing. My neighbor was quoted $10,000 from Batterbee, but since they did an insurance job it cost her the $500 deductible. Seems there’s lots of these insurance roofers around. Me? I’d avoid them I’ve heard stories they intentional cause damage to submit an insurance claim. I have not proof that they do but I say sum ding wong with that picture.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Default Roofing Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raywatkins View Post
We are Brits with a second home in TV. We find every job on the house expensive compared to the UK.
We needed our roof replaced and went to Batterbee Roofing, following a recommendation from a neighbour. The first thing the sales guy said was why pay ourselves when the insurance company would probably pay. Now we are quite dumb when it comes to how things work in the US. So we were sceptical. But we went to our insurers and within a week their person had visited and we had a check for $10k. We were stunned - that would not have happened in the UK.
Batterbee then went through the various options and we went for a higher grade roof with transferable guarantee. Our roof is around 1800 sq ft.
The total cost was $15k.
The insurance company sent us a further check for just over $2k when the job was completed. Our deductible was $1k. Had we not upgraded the roof that would have been the limit of our cost.
Batterbee did a great job - as confirmed by the wind expert we had to produce our certificate for the insurers.
Hope that helps
As a forensic engineer in the Chicago Area in my working life, I worked for many different insurance companies evaluating all types of property damage claims. My assignment always was to determine the cause and/or extent of damage so that the insurance company could determine if the cause of damage was an insured coverage. In the Chicago Area, most of the roof damage claims we investigated were ones where the Insured was claiming damage caused by ice and water, hail or wind. When it came to asphalt or fiberglass shingles it was easy to determine if there was ice or hail damage by examining the marks on the shingles or water infiltration caused by ice damming, which occurs when water in the downspouts and gutter freeze and the ice in the gutter works its way under the shingles and subsequently into the house. Damage caused by those problems were almost always covered. It is also easy to determine wind damage, since shingles were usually missing.

I am here to tell you that many people tried to claim damage to their roofing, but were denied coverage when the forensic engineer determined that the shingles had simply deteriorated due to natural causes and had reached the end of their useful life. More often than not, we observed curled shingles, missing granules, and other wear defects. Such conditions are NOT a covered peril under any insurance policy. There are many roofing contractors that the insurance industry refer to as storm chasers. They move to areas of storm damage and often go door-to-door telling homeowners they can get them new roofs. They will often go to the extent of damaging the roof so that they will try to get the roof replaced. A good forensic engineer can determine if that has been done; and if so, will indicate in his report the real cause of the damage. Ultimately, the homeowner or business owner does not get paid for the damage that the "storm chaser" has inflicted. Some insurance companies use their adjusters to make the inspection and most adjusters can't recognize what the cause of the damage was and will pay the claim. Shingles and built-up roofs have a limited life span, which can be prematurely shortened in Florida because of the prolonged and hot summers. You were very lucky to have an inexperienced adjuster who was likely unable to determine that your roof had simply come to the end of its useful life. Additionally, although I have been retired for about 4 years and I am not familiar with shingle costs in this area, the amount you paid sounds high to me. I also suspect that your roof surface area was greater than 1,800 sq. ft. More likely, your house is 1,800 square feet (under air) and the roof surface area is much greater due to the slopes and the overhangs, garage and lanai are not usually included in the floor areas used to describe a house. According to the Internet, asphalt fiberglass shingles will cost from approximately $150 to $400 per square (1 square = 100 square feet of roof surface area), not including the cost of new roof vents if they were replaced.

We did investigate a townhouse development that had extensive premature shingle failures that the insurer's all turned down claims. The Association tried to sue the Insurance Company, Developer, several roofing contractors used by the Developer, the carpenter contractors for failing to install adequate soffit and roof vents, the architects, and numerous other people involved in the construction of the buildings. There were 5 forensic engineers representing various parties to the litigation. In the end, it was proven that the shingles were defective and, based upon documents obtained from the shingle manufacturer, the manufacturer new the shingles were defective but sold them anyway. In over 50 years of my practice, that was the only time in my career defective shingles were found to be the cause of the premature shingle failures.

I hope that your comments don't give people the idea that their insurance company will automatically pay to re-roof their house when the need arises. Most shingles in production today should last from 20 to 30 or more years depending primarily on the weight of the shingle per square, with the heavier the better.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:21 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Wow those are some high prices. We had the roof replaced on our home we had in Tennessee about 3 years ago for $6,000 with top grade shingles. The house is 1,500 sq ft with a two car garage.
Everything -except lawncare - is more expensive in TV.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Closed Thread

Tags
roof, years, reply, interested, learning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.