What is the definition of a Covid 19 Case?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2021, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
You'll never get the correct answer in this forum, however, if you stay at a Holiday Inn Express tonight...

I have no answer, other than if you simply treat this like the flu, then a whole lot more people will die. The death count from COVID in the last 1.5 years is more than double all of those who died from the flu over the past 10 years. Maybe Mother Earth is fighting back?
The mother that is BEGGING for MERCY!
Old 08-03-2021, 05:06 PM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico
Thumbs up COVID "case" meaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
Everything we now hear is based on Covid 19 "Case Counts".
Yet, I can't seem to find exactly what the Factual definition of a Covid case is.
I believe it means a positive test result, but then what does that mean?
Is it that you are currently testing positive, or that you were previously positive?
(For the record we got Vax'd. as soon a we possibly could get it, in later Jan.
To this point no known side effects, nor contracting Covid.) Thus, not anti Vax.
Just can't seem to get "The Rest of The Story". Yet, it is an hourly headline!
p.s. DHS has disclosed that over 1Mil. have come across the So. border so far this
year, with a totally unknown number of "Got Aways". They won't disclose how
many of those Illegals are positive Covid cases, nor were they are being sent
all over the country. So what factor are they contributing to the Covid spread?
Not being cynical, but not getting told factual information either.
A "case" of COVID is a positive test for the virus. However, many +COVID people have no symptoms but have been exposed to the virus and have developed antibodies or resistence to the virus. What should be tracked because it's more accurate is, "the number of "+ Covid cases with symptoms." Those are the people who can infect others. Those with a + Covid test w/o symptoms do not infect or cause illness in others.

I think that the mis-handling & reporting of +COVID tests is a means in which to scare the public and is uncalled for. But it is the sign of the times. Stay healthy, exercise, eat well and stay away from sick people is always the best approach during these times.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpate View Post
A "case" of COVID is a positive test for the virus. However, many +COVID people have no symptoms but have been exposed to the virus and have developed antibodies or resistence to the virus. What should be tracked because it's more accurate is, "the number of "+ Covid cases with symptoms." Those are the people who can infect others. Those with a + Covid test w/o symptoms do not infect or cause illness in others.

I think that the mis-handling & reporting of +COVID tests is a means in which to scare the public and is uncalled for. But it is the sign of the times. Stay healthy, exercise, eat well and stay away from sick people is always the best approach during these times.
Asymptomatic +COVID (your terminology) people can MOST DEFINITELY transmit the virus and infect other people. Not sure where you heard otherwise as it is undeniably wrong.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:06 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

You must trust whatever the govern tells us. You know they wouldn't lie to us.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,582 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
Everything we now hear is based on Covid 19 "Case Counts".
Yet, I can't seem to find exactly what the Factual definition of a Covid case is.
I believe it means a positive test result, but then what does that mean?
Is it that you are currently testing positive, or that you were previously positive?
(For the record we got Vax'd. as soon a we possibly could get it, in later Jan.
To this point no known side effects, nor contracting Covid.) Thus, not anti Vax.
Just can't seem to get "The Rest of The Story". Yet, it is an hourly headline!
p.s. DHS has disclosed that over 1Mil. have come across the So. border so far this
year, with a totally unknown number of "Got Aways". They won't disclose how
many of those Illegals are positive Covid cases, nor were they are being sent
all over the country. So what factor are they contributing to the Covid spread?
Not being cynical, but not getting told factual information either.
Depends on just who is doing the defining, apparently.

Example: that ghastly 600,000 "COVID death count" number that is tossed around so blithely. Is that the number of people who died WITH COVID, or the mere 6% of that total (36,000) that verifiably died OF COVID?

(sigh)
Old 08-04-2021, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,305 Times in 2,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

Example: that ghastly 600,000 "COVID death count" number that is tossed around so blithely. Is that the number of people who died WITH COVID, or the mere 6% of that total (36,000) that verifiably died OF COVID?

(sigh)
Do a search on these forums for "excess deaths" to find several discussions of this.

"With" or "Of" or space aliens, over 500,000 more people died in 2020 than in 2019 or 2018 or 2017 or any previous year. There was something different in 2020 that resulted in those 500,000 additional deaths. The vast majority of the country (the world, really) understands that Covid was the reason for those excess deaths.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,176 Times in 4,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1717 View Post
I have had two antibodies tests and mine are still extremely high. I’ve been advised to wait for a vax as I would most likely get very bad reactions yet. That’s from my doctor, but I’m sure it’s all guess work still.
I had Covid before the tests were readily available. Like you a very mild case... Low grade fever and body aches/chills for 36 hours... That was almost 18 months ago...

Since then, I've had multiple antibody tests (still positive) and multiple PCR tests (all negative)...

I received the Moderna vaccine a soon as it was available (first week of January) and I thought I was gonna' die!

Painful swollen arm (I couldn't even lift it) body aches, lethargy...

I seriously though about forgoing the 2nd shot (since it was supposed to be even worse than the first one!)...

Maybe it was due to my antibodies (but it was almost a year later)...

Funny, the 2nd shot? Nothing... I didn't feel a thing... Go figure...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,176 Times in 4,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Do a search on these forums for "excess deaths" to find several discussions of this.

"With" or "Of" or space aliens, over 500,000 more people died in 2020 than in 2019 or 2018 or 2017 or any previous year. There was something different in 2020 that resulted in those 500,000 additional deaths. The vast majority of the country (the world, really) understands that Covid was the reason for those excess deaths.
Your numbers don't add up...

Fact check: The US saw more deaths in 2020 than in 2019

Provisional Mortality Data — United States, 2020 | MMWR

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,305 Times in 2,025 Posts

The numbers are not wrong. I have not statistically estimated the age-adjusted Covid-19 deaths from among the excess deaths in 2020. *That* number might be *only* in the 345,000 range. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you can discount the argument because *only* 345,000 died of Covid.

I stated that over 500,000 more people died in 2020 than in 2019. Both your fact-check links give the number of deaths in 2019 as 2.8M. One gives the number of deaths in 2020 as 3.35M (550,000 more than in 2019) and the other says that "preliminary data shows the year has already surpassed 3.2 million" (or 400,000 and growing).

You might also check this data. You can add the weekly numbers in column G for each year to get yearly totals. 2019 comes in at 2,845,793 and 2020 at 3,433,852.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-04-2021, 10:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
The numbers are not wrong. I have not statistically estimated the age-adjusted Covid-19 deaths from among the excess deaths in 2020. *That* number might be *only* in the 345,000 range. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you can discount the argument because *only* 345,000 died of Covid.

I stated that over 500,000 more people died in 2020 than in 2019. Both your fact-check links give the number of deaths in 2019 as 2.8M. One gives the number of deaths in 2020 as 3.35M (550,000 more than in 2019) and the other says that "preliminary data shows the year has already surpassed 3.2 million" (or 400,000 and growing).

You might also check this data. You can add the weekly numbers in column G for each year to get yearly totals. 2019 comes in at 2,845,793 and 2020 at 3,433,852.
And of course, people saying there were not enough deaths to add up, also completely ignore the underreporting of COVID cases or deaths because of lack of systematic testing. But, will then say in the very next post that under testing results in all the statistics being wrong.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Asymptomatic +COVID (your terminology) people can MOST DEFINITELY transmit the virus and infect other people. Not sure where you heard otherwise as it is undeniably wrong.
Agree. THIS is the reason why masking is so important, especially for the un-vaccinated. They are much more apt to be infected than vaccinated people. This asymptomatic spread was the main reason for the mask mandates in the early part of this pandemic. Those WITH symptoms were supposed to be in quarantine. Right? How can anyone not know this at this point in time???

Last edited by coffeebean; 08-04-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

(sigh)
I get what you are saying BUT......those folks that died WITH Covid may just be alive today if they did not contract Covid. We will never know how many of those folks with comorbidities that died WITH Covid could have continued on with their merry lives with the treatments and medications that had kept them alive until Covid got to them.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I get what you are saying BUT......those folks that died WITH Covid may just be alive today if they did not contract Covid. We will never know how many of those folks with comorbidities that died WITH Covid could have continued on with their merry life with the treatments and medications that had kept them alive until Covid got to them.
Probably a lot of them, at least for a while.

There is probably a "normal" curve associated with the underlying comorbidities. At one end were the people who were going to die the next day no matter what, at the other end those that would have likely lived 5, 10 or even more years (depends of the "comorbidity"---Type 2 diabetes being better than stage 4 cancer). So if the average life expectancy for these comorbidities was say 2 years, all comers, then hundreds of thousands could be considered dying OF the virus, not just WITH it.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Probably a lot of them, at least for a while.

There is probably a "normal" curve associated with the underlying comorbidities. At one end were the people who were going to die the next day no matter what, at the other end those that would have likely lived 5, 10 or even more years (depends of the "comorbidity"---Type 2 diabetes being better than stage 4 cancer). So if the average life expectancy for these comorbidities was say 2 years, all comers, then hundreds of thousands could be considered dying OF the virus, not just WITH it.
You know that doesn't matter to anyone that wants to believe it is all a hoax that the entire world and all the scientists from all those other countries are falling for.

Yeah, right.
Closed Thread

Tags
covid, positive, case, factual, definition

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.