What is the definition of a Covid 19 Case?

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2021, 01:19 PM
Default What is the definition of a Covid 19 Case?

Everything we now hear is based on Covid 19 "Case Counts".
Yet, I can't seem to find exactly what the Factual definition of a Covid case is.
I believe it means a positive test result, but then what does that mean?
Is it that you are currently testing positive, or that you were previously positive?
(For the record we got Vax'd. as soon a we possibly could get it, in later Jan.
To this point no known side effects, nor contracting Covid.) Thus, not anti Vax.
Just can't seem to get "The Rest of The Story". Yet, it is an hourly headline!
p.s. DHS has disclosed that over 1Mil. have come across the So. border so far this
year, with a totally unknown number of "Got Aways". They won't disclose how
many of those Illegals are positive Covid cases, nor were they are being sent
all over the country. So what factor are they contributing to the Covid spread?
Not being cynical, but not getting told factual information either.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

This should be interesting………..
Old 08-02-2021, 02:03 PM

There are confirmed and probable cases. Confirmed are as described - confirmed by a positive COVID test. Could be a PCR test or other and you can debate the merits of the different test all you want but they are confirmed cases. Probable cases are just that, someone made a determination that a case was most likely to be COVID. Just as with the confirmed cases, you can debate the merits of the observation as much as one wants.

If someone said the actual cases were off by 10% I personally wouldn't argue since nobody really knows. That number would still be directionally correct. If someone said the actual cases were off by 50% I'd not discuss the topic with that person any longer as they were coming at this with a different objective than many. With regards to someone testing positive more than once - again, probably not significant in the macro view.

Not sure what relevance the immigration numbers have on this. The data clearly shows (of late) that the overwhelming majority of cases are from folks who have not been vaccinated. If you could prove that the immigrants that were crossing the border were subsequently traveling to areas where the majority of the residents were not vaccinated then you could probably make a credible argument the surge was a result of immigration crossings or at least contributed to by those crossings. Makes for great news headlines but the correlation/causation argument has never been made because it would be incredibly hard to make.

The border crisis is not a COVID crisis but the media hasn't relied on demonstrable facts for years and clearly they have no intention of starting now.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

The 'Border Crisis' is convenient at the moment.
Someone/something will be more convenient tomorrow.
In the UK when we are facing a major crisis, we always blame the French.
It works for us!
Old 08-02-2021, 05:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
Yet, I can't seem to find exactly what the Factual definition of a Covid case is.
Is it that you are currently testing positive, or that you were previously positive?
To this point no known side effects, nor contracting Covid.) Thus, not anti Vax.
p.s. DHS has disclosed that over 1Mil. have come across the So. border so far this
If your sick enough to think you need a Covid Test then test positive you are your infected it’s quite simple.
I seriously doubt every single person crossing the border is infected some but not all.
I’m more concerned with the anti vaccine movement even Franklin Graham is loosing his flock. Many Evangelical scammers are telling there flock not to take the vaccine and not to wear masks.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
If your sick enough to think you need a Covid Test then test positive you are your infected it’s quite simple.
I seriously doubt every single person crossing the border is infected some but not all.
I’m more concerned with the anti vaccine movement even Franklin Graham is loosing his flock. Many Evangelical scammers are telling there flock not to take the vaccine and not to wear masks.
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure they are just counting positive tests as "cases", don't need to be "sick". If we did that with seasonal flu, we'd probably have over 100 million "cases" every year. Of course, that won't happen since we don't test asymptomatic people for flu. Nor do we test them for any other disease except HIV, and in rare cases Tb. It's just COVID that has that honor, so no wonder we have so many "cases". And I can't think of any other disease that we test for in people AFTER they are vaccinated.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And I can't think of any other disease that we test for in people AFTER they are vaccinated.
How about if you get an upper respiratory infection and in an abundance of caution, want to be sure it's not COVID?
Old 08-02-2021, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Are we back at The initial goal to avoid overwhelming hospitals and needing to delay elective surgery?
Old 08-02-2021, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Of course, that won't happen since we don't test asymptomatic people for flu. Nor do we test them for any other disease except HIV, and in rare cases Tb. It's just COVID that has that honor, so no wonder we have so many "cases". And I can't think of any other disease that we test for in people AFTER they are vaccinated.
When there is a pertussis outbreak we would routinely test those with a significant cough and some with exposure to the ill child. All of these people were vaccinated. All of them. But they were tested because pertussis is a serious disease for infants. And the doctors needed to know who in the environment was carrying pertussis or mildly ill with it and might be spreading it to other at risk infants. Those who were positive were isolated until completing treatment which unlike Covid is available.

No one complained this was an attack on their freedom or civil liberty. Everyone understood that the health of the community was more important than a temporary inconvenience to the individual. Dead babies do tend to engender more sympathy than dead adults, so there was that factor.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
How about if you get an upper respiratory infection and in an abundance of caution, want to be sure it's not COVID?
Only if I were sick enough to warrant hospitalization, otherwise you wouldn't treat it any differently
Old 08-02-2021, 07:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
When there is a pertussis outbreak we would routinely test those with a significant cough and some with exposure to the ill child. All of these people were vaccinated. All of them. But they were tested because pertussis is a serious disease for infants. And the doctors needed to know who in the environment was carrying pertussis or mildly ill with it and might be spreading it to other at risk infants. Those who were positive were isolated until completing treatment which unlike Covid is available.

No one complained this was an attack on their freedom or civil liberty. Everyone understood that the health of the community was more important than a temporary inconvenience to the individual. Dead babies do tend to engender more sympathy than dead adults, so there was that factor.
Good one--didn't think of pertussis. And it's a good example of immunity waning at some point after vaccination
Old 08-03-2021, 05:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
Oh boy. Here we go again!!
Old 08-03-2021, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Oh boy. Here we go again!!
Of course. This will continue until ........forever?
“When you realize that to produce, you must obtain the permission from those who do not produce anything; When it is proven that the money flows to those who trade not with goods, but with favors; When you realize that many get rich by bribery and influence rather than by work. When you realize that corruption is rewarded and honesty becomes self-sacrifice; Then you can say, without fear of making mistakes, your society is doomed.”

Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged,1957.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:41 AM

Just go to YouTube and look for some people in lab coats, you’ll find the answer you want to hear
Old 08-03-2021, 05:46 AM

Let me get this straight. If someone doesn’t agree with the numbers you feel are accurate, then your advice is to not discuss the issue any further? Where is the scientific rigor and intellectual honesty in this path?
Closed Thread

Tags
covid, positive, case, factual, definition

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.