what to do with old trophies ??

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr kibbles View Post
have three crates of old trophies and have searched for a way of giving them to boys/girls club,scouts etc as donations or looking for buyers and cannot find any --- tried before we left and nobody wanted them --- anyway any suggestions ??
Perhaps SoZo kids could use them. I forget how to contact them, but just google SoZo Kids. It is a wonderful organization. And the kids are really grateful for anything different for them.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:42 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
and no I don’t go around bragging about them.

and yet you jus did

Old 09-25-2020, 07:46 AM

My dad lined them up and took his picture surrounded by his trophies. Then he framed the photo and disposed of the trophies.
We all treasure the photo much more than the actual trophies
Old 09-25-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
have three crates of old trophies and have searched for a way of giving them to boys/girls club,scouts etc as donations or looking for buyers and cannot find any --- tried before we left and nobody wanted them --- anyway any suggestions ??
Special Olympics used to take them. If not, save the plates and throw the rest of the trophy away.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts
Default I thought that’s what you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If you don’t want them bag and trash them.

I earned every tennis, billiards, and golf trophy’s. None which were team trophy’s where you get one if you played/won or not. I’ll be keeping mine and no I don’t go around bragging about them.
doing now
Old 09-25-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
and yet you just did...

Kinda like, it's none of my business BUT..
Old 09-25-2020, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts
Default When I first applied for Purple Heart Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond The Wall View Post
Before you dispose of them remove the plates that states what they were for. Mount the plates on a new plaque . Smaller keepsake or make one for each person who won them.
they asked me for my discharge papers I had to come back next day . I was naive to ask the clerk you mean people ask for the plate and hadn’t earned the medal ? She told me they come back n limping, some with VA ID’S and with an excuse that every veterans counselor had heard and I have heard from time to time , all my records burned up in a fire at VA , when the truth is less then 1 % of records couldn’t be restored .
Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 AM

..... Google says .....
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Trash.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	86398  
Old 09-25-2020, 09:23 AM

EVERYBODY now gets participation trophys that no one wants them. I try to repurpose then.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Why would anyone keep those it’s like medals in hat I see sometimes on a wall of someone’s home . There were many instances where in a combat stand down they would read the citation but the medal might come later usually if you asked for it , my citations are on my discharge papers , I never sent for anything , and I don’t see the point . I do have one thing from military I display, many years ago when I used to drive home to Boston a friend told me he got stopped at speed trap but they let him off with warning because of Purple Heart plate , so I did go out and get ones over the years I’ve been stopped a few times including once on Morse Blvd where for some reason I was way over speed limit , i was given a break each time but I would never bother to get the physical medal for anything I earned
My father was the same way. Never wanted anything or spoke about WWII. We knew he had a Purple Heart Medal but never knew about all the rest, including a Bronze Star. I don’t know if you have children or grandchildren but I can tell you this. You may not feel the need to have them, but to your family they will be priceless.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:03 AM

I would ask around to donate to local team, or trophy shop. I coached swimming for years , someone donated a ton of bowling trophies and for a couple of dollars they switched nameplates and traded the bowler for swimmer . Nowhere near expense of a trophy🏆.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Think about that. Why would I want you trophy?
Old 09-25-2020, 10:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
I had boxes of Tennis trophies & I tried sell them & couldn’t & then tried to give them away. Did give a few away. Then I thought I didn’t want to store them again so I took the Name plates off of them & put them on a plack then junked the trophies. Trophies are to cheap so I found out people would rather by new ones! You’re in a different part of the country, so maybe you could try to sell or give them away, you never know!
Old 09-25-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia54 View Post
My father was the same way. Never wanted anything or spoke about WWII. We knew he had a Purple Heart Medal but never knew about all the rest, including a Bronze Star. I don’t know if you have children or grandchildren but I can tell you this. You may not feel the need to have them, but to your family they will be priceless.
I was going to say the same thing. We found my Dad's medals (including his POW tags) in a cigar box in a storage box marked "Bunch of Junk". We managed to replace what medals he didn't have (we had his discharge papers) though the VA (they thanked us for the info because his WAS burned up and this was more than they had on him). My DH took all the medals, had a couple things metal etched into brass plates and my Dad's casket flag and had a specialized shadow box built (by a veteran) for me. It was one of the best gifts he has ever given to me. I still get teary when I look at it. As mamamia54 said above......they are priceless.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Military Frame.jpg.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	86399  
Old 09-25-2020, 01:12 PM

I could use some of those trophies! I want to give them to Hunter for his efforts into playing his video games, and for Taylor for her work in that sport that features a pole with a basket on its end.

I can pick them up next Wednesday as I will be playing golf with the Smithens. I will be nearby.
Closed Thread

Tags
trophies, find, left, wanted, buyers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.