what to do with old trophies ??

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2020, 01:18 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

i'll take the 1 that sez 'course champion' if i can change the dedicatory plate
Old 09-25-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I was going to say the same thing. We found my Dad's medals (including his POW tags) in a cigar box in a storage box marked "Bunch of Junk". We managed to replace what medals he didn't have (we had his discharge papers) though the VA (they thanked us for the info because his WAS burned up and this was more than they had on him). My DH took all the medals, had a couple things metal etched into brass plates and my Dad's casket flag and had a specialized shadow box built (by a veteran) for me. It was one of the best gifts he has ever given to me. I still get teary when I look at it. As mamamia54 said above......they are priceless.
How beautiful! My mom told me the day my dad came home he threw everything in the garbage and never spoke about it again. How sad. What heroes they were. God bless them and all of our military. I have to look into making something like that with his. I would love to have it displayed instead of just sitting in a box. After all, I can’t imagine the sacrifices they made to get them. The least we can do is honor them displaying their medals.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I'm keeping my trophy................her name is on the deed.
And I'm guessing on your healthcare power of attorney :-)
Old 09-25-2020, 05:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr kibbles View Post
have three crates of old trophies and have searched for a way of giving them to boys/girls club,scouts etc as donations or looking for buyers and cannot find any --- tried before we left and nobody wanted them --- anyway any suggestions ??
We just recently sold and closed out our farm in Tennessee. I had 40 years of memorabilia from my time active duty military and Department of the Army Civilian (DAC). I picked out what would fit comfortably in the small office space in our home here and - reluctantly - gave away or tossed the rest. Fortunately a guy I know is a military buff and he took a bunch of it.

Hard to do but it was the right decision for me.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 09-25-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Just put them in your garden as garden gnomes.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Give the trophies a proper burial in the yard and then commemorate each with a small white cross?
Old 09-26-2020, 03:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Our boys played hockey, we had boxes of trophies. Both had State winners, National winners Trophies. State win was a win, but Nationals was rare, for Hockey Players

Took all the plaques off, mounted them in a album with their pictures, with the trophies at the events along with team pics. Both still have them, in their book shelves and pull them out on occasion to look at team picks, when friends come over.

Donated trophies to the business they came from.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts
Default No because if I did leave them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia54 View Post
My father was the same way. Never wanted anything or spoke about WWII. We knew he had a Purple Heart Medal but never knew about all the rest, including a Bronze Star. I don’t know if you have children or grandchildren but I can tell you this. You may not feel the need to have them, but to your family they will be priceless.
I wouldn’t be the person I am. , first time somone shot at me was at 18 in Southeast Asia last time I was 59 in Pakistan, 23 countries during that span lots of violence, but I have only told fun stories to family and friends , not because I feel bad or troubled about it but because why would anyone want to tell someone an awful war experience ? I would rather talk about the sites I have seen , the people I’ve met , the many romances that were more vivid because of the violence going on but to short because you knew you would be on the move again to the next hot spot . Oh the glory days of the ugly America a trail that led from Southeast Asia to central and South America to Africa and ended in Pakistan 21 years ago as Sinatra would sing they were very good years lol

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 09-27-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlifOlif View Post
I could use some of those trophies! I want to give them to Hunter for his efforts into playing his video games, and for Taylor for her work in that sport that features a pole with a basket on its end.

I can pick them up next Wednesday as I will be playing golf with the Smithens. I will be nearby.
Remember you’ll have rebuild them & put a different figure on them. This will cost you!
Old 09-27-2020, 06:51 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I have 48 years of tennis trophies. They are everywhere. 20 years of golf trophies, but nothing like tennis. I should depose of most but there are tons of memories. I am at least keeping my 1972 most valuable player high school trophy. Where does time go?
Old 09-27-2020, 06:53 AM
Platinum member
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Give the trophies a proper burial in the yard and then commemorate each with a small white cross?
preferably in the front yard for all to see.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:01 PM
Default Trophies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr kibbles View Post
have three crates of old trophies and have searched for a way of giving them to boys/girls club,scouts etc as donations or looking for buyers and cannot find any --- tried before we left and nobody wanted them --- anyway any suggestions ??
I would be happy to take them. They will be rebuilt and given to worthy winners. Call me at 215-266-6803. Frank
Closed Thread

Tags
trophies, find, left, wanted, buyers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.