what to do with recyclables

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Sage
Default what to do with recyclables

I hate having to stuff plastic bags (that I pay for) full of newspapers every week for recycling. Where I came from we put them in a bin to be picked up. Does anybody know why they have to be bagged?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I hate having to stuff plastic bags (that I pay for) full of newspapers every week for recycling. Where I came from we put them in a bin to be picked up. Does anybody know why they have to be bagged?
Bagging as opposed to canning or binning was put in place to avoid receptacles blowing around. It is much neater.

Check in The Villages 2010 Phone Book, page 38.

BTW, there is a fund of useful information in the front section of that book.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by downeaster; 01-20-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

I tie my newspapers with twine and use my grocery or other shopping bags for cans/bottles - sometimes hafta put papers on top of can/bottle bag so it does not travel down the street - seems to work well - have not been told can't do yet.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

"Bagging as opposed to canning or binning was put in place to avoid receptacles blowing around. It is much neater. "

I'm sure it's also a lot faster for them to pick up as they don't have to return the bins/cans to the front of house. They just keep tossing and moving.

Probably quieter too. I don't relish the thought of a bin full of bottles being dumped into a truck waking me up at 6 a.m.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Sage

I save my newspapers in a laundry basket in the garage. When it's full, I take it to the Sumter Sheriff's office parking lot on 466 and Morse. There's a large collection bin outside for newspapers. Getting the newspapers out of our recycling makes it a bit easier to put out the recyclables on pick up day....newspapers are heavy and take up lots of space.

In my garage I also have a small trash can. I line it with a 33 gallon clear bag and just throw my recyclables into that. On pickup day, just pull the bag out and tie it up. As long as it's clear, with no drawstrings or color anywhere, it gets picked up.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Veteran member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
I save my newspapers in a laundry basket in the garage. When it's full, I take it to the Sumter Sheriff's office parking lot on 466 and Morse. There's a large collection bin outside for newspapers. Getting the newspapers out of our recycling makes it a bit easier to put out the recyclables on pick up day....newspapers are heavy and take up lots of space.

In my garage I also have a small trash can. I line it with a 33 gallon clear bag and just throw my recyclables into that. On pickup day, just pull the bag out and tie it up. As long as it's clear, with no drawstrings or color anywhere, it gets picked up.
Where do you buy those 33 gal clear bags?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
Where do you buy those 33 gal clear bags?
I bought the bags at Costco, but I also saw them at Sam's Club. You might also find them at Lowes or Home Depot. Works pretty well for me.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Eternal Member

I tie them with twine in 5-6 inch stacks and stick them out on recycle day. The regular garbage truck leaves then and the recycle truck picks them up.

No problem.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Sage

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try tying them up in stacks.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 AM

Newspaper recycling bins are at St Timothy's and St Mark's, too.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfarr View Post
Newspaper recycling bins are at St Timothy's and St Mark's, too.

I believe St. Tim's accepts magazines as well. All of our papers go to one or the other depending on which direction we are going when my home made rack is full.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for that information. I'll begin to bring my newspapers to the Sumter Sheriff's office parking lot too. I also put my newspapers in a laundry basket in the garage. That works really well.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
I bought the bags at Costco, but I also saw them at Sam's Club. You might also find them at Lowes or Home Depot. Works pretty well for me.
I've purchased the glad recycle bags at Walgreens but there are only 12 per box. I'm a member of Sam's so I'll look there for a larger box.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I tie them with twine in 5-6 inch stacks and stick them out on recycle day. The regular garbage truck leaves then and the recycle truck picks them up.

No problem.
I didn't realize the papers didn't have to be in the clear bag here in TV. In NJ, I'm used to securing the papers with string but we are able to put them in larger than 5-6 inche stacks...more like 12 inch stacks.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Default Recycling

Grateful for a quick lesson on what we can/can't put out for recycling.

Newspapers, glass bottles and soda cans no doubt, but what about plastic? Some places recycle those TetraPak plasticised cardboard juice and milk cartons - do they at TV?

Thanks
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.