What do you miss...?

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 PM

I miss adult "snow days." That's when the weather is so crappy, I decide not to go out. And it's so bad no one else is going to go out. Then the plan is to stay in flannel PJ's, eat chicken noodle soup out of the pan and watch an old pirated copy of Peyton Place AND Return to Peyton Place on TV. Heaven. Well I declared last Saturday a "snow day." Walked around in dirty shorts, didn't make the bed, load the dishwasher or pick up a thing. I was about to make my soup selection when Honey brought in two neighbors for a house tour. This weather is not conducive to a snow day!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Default NJBlue - Geese

The geese here in southern NJ are confused. They fly over every which way so we get to see them often. :-)
New Jersey
Old 01-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

Maine lobster,Ipswich fried clams, N.E. clam chowder and scallops (the BIG ones) and haddock!!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default It only means you haven't been here long enough to ....

not miss the "stuff" up North.
For me, I don't miss anything about any area that does not have palm trees.

BTK
Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Default I miss:

Real Philly cheese steaks (it's about the Ameroso roll.) Since I gave up beef, I miss chicken cheese steaks.
Our 2nd home in Cape May, NJ. The beach. The air. The dolphins.
The smell of fall leaves when you walk through them.
The variety of songbirds. My friend told me yesterday she has bluebirds in her houses!
Our fireplace.
Boscov's. (Oh, do I miss Boscov's.)
Wegman's. (Food Market is the start of the experience but it falls short.)
Wawa. Wawa coffee. (Bliss.)
Sweet peppers on hoagies. (And the rolls.)
Crab cakes at the Lobster House.
Rolling hills.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Smile Every place has its beauty

There is so much beauty in the colored leaves. I miss all the hard wood forests, wildlife and hugh acres of unspoiled land. My father's family was pre-Revolution and considered a founding family, thus everyone knew us or were related to us. My soul is in that land knowing my ancestor was the first white man and every generation has lived on that land.. I loved knowing everyone where ever I went. Many small towns are like that. I love long walks or horseback riding for many miles, just seeing nature.
I loved the democracy of voting for mayors and councilmen and nothing done without a vote. I miss the excellent schools, and since I have always lived in a college town-I miss all that goes with living in a college town. (free concerts, lectures)
I even miss snow... but I only want to see it coming down in big fluffy flakes in front of my picture window!
Most of all I miss the dear friends and seeing my former students.
But not two worry...I still go back and have not sold my home yet.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Veteran member

Not a thing! If all those things are that important to you perhaps you might want to move back up there...Okay, so maybe I'm off the charts a little, but really there isn't a thing I care to re-experience up North. This is home!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 PM

As of now the only thing I miss is going to Madison Square Garden sitting in my seat that I've owned since 1972 to watch New York Ranger Hockey
Old 01-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Veteran member
Default I did it bass-ackwarads........

Since I relocated from s/Miami Florida to the Pacific Northwest I guess I could report on the things I miss about my 40 years in s/FL:

It was truly Paradise back in the mid-60s and that's what I miss!

There were no crowds. There was little traffic. People were actually friendly. I never heard of road-rage. Summer heat-humidity was tolerable. The winters had some cold spells, even in s/FL (snowed once in '78). Crime was not a problem.

FLORIDA in the 60s & 70s = That's what I miss the most!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 PM

Fourpar,
I love it down here too. If I was asked to list all the things I would miss down here... my list would be just as long.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Platinum member

This will be my first January in years without the Sundance Film Festival, and I'm a little anxious about it. I love the whole Sundance experience! It's the social event of the season for my little town in Utah. We meet groups of friends for dinner, then we all go to the movie, then we go out to a bar afterward and discuss the movie.... and we do this for 10 days straight! By the end of the 10 days we usually couldn't remember what movies we had seen, but it was always lots of fun. Sometimes they had Q&A's with the actors or directors after the show. Last year we went to a party with the cast and crew of Young@Heart. If I'm a little jumpy and scatterbrained (more than usual!) from January 15-25, it's because I'll be wondering what I'm missing.

On the other hand, Sundance is always during the coldest part of winter. I will NOT miss trudging through knee-deep icy snow in windy, single-digit temperatures to get to the restaurant and the movie. Let's see... Ten days of Sundance vs/ a whole winter in The Villages. No contest.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
My friend told me yesterday she has bluebirds in her houses!
CMJ, we also had bluebirds in our palm trees yesterday!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Veteran member

Well, life is all about trade-offs.
I'm up here in NY, freezing my buns off. It's now 16 degrees. Black ice everywhere, and I almost fell today a few times. (Do you know that 25% of seniors who fall and break a hip DIE within a year??)

I can't wait to move down there for good!!!

Yes, I may miss the smell of burning leaves, or the colorful fall leaves. I may miss the magic of those big flakes slowly drifting down. I will miss the deer playing in my yard, and the wild turkeys at my bird feeder.

But I won't miss the days of dreary, gray piles of ugly snowbanks.....the salt that makes EVERY car the same gray color......the potholes......the pushing the shopping through the snowy slush....having to bundle up like a sumo wrestler in layers......having to wear gloves that aren't golf gloves......BOOTS.....bad drivers rear ending you because they don't know how to drive in snow......snowplows hitting your mailbox EVERY winter...scraping ice off your car and warming it up for 20 minutes before going anywhere......etc,etc.

I will love Florida more then I will miss NY. Count your blessings folks....I envy you because I still have 909 days to go......

Frank D.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Sage

I miss living in the country and having horses in the back yard. I miss riding my horse through the first snowflakes of the year, singing carols and seeing his ears tilt backward to hear me. I miss snuggling by the wood stove when a winter storm rages outside. Like MsnPA, I miss feeding the birds and wildlife. Heck, I even miss the muddy springs and the multi-coloured fall leaves.

I also miss my youth, and the energy that living a country lifestyle requires.

Now that I'm in my golden years, I wouldn't want to live on a horse farm anymore or experience raging storms or spring mud.

Everything in life has a season. We move on and experience new pleasures. I love everything about TV, especially my friends. Everywhere I go in TV, people are smiling. I feel blessed to be able to have a home in such a wonderful community.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

GOOD sourdough bread; Gallo Salame; the great San Francisco restaurants; Top Dog in Berkeley.

Driving through the tunnel and seeing the Bay Bridge and San Francisco. San Francisco! Yosemite. Having to drive no more than 3 hours to get a complete change of countryside from beach to mountains.

Yosemite. I really, really miss the annual camping out in Yosemite and wandering wherever our feet felt like going.

Mountains. That is probably the only thing I truly hate about TV -- it is too flat. I miss my mountains.

Even so, I like living here. If I can't live in the Bay Area, this is a great second choice. I've made some wonderful friends, have met many great people and don't regret a minute of my life here, except maybe when Kathie tried to kill me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.