What do you miss...?

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Gold member
Default What do you miss...?

I know this is probably a taboo question but I am curious if any of you miss anything (besides your family and grandchildren) about the winters up North. The reason I ask is here's what I miss (a lot): We lived in the country, deep in the woods on a mountainside in Pa. I installed an outdoor woodstove that heated all of our domestic hot water and the home as well. I loved cutting firewood, hauling it in my old Ford F-150, often spending every Sat or Sun afternoon cutting, hauling and stacking. My cousing Jimmy lives up in Potter County and does the same. Yesterdy he and I had a long phone chat and I realized how much I miss my "lumberjack" weekends. What do you miss?

Last edited by rshoffer; 01-05-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spell
Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Sage

Ledo's Pizza .... that's about it (and I see there is a franchise in Altamonte Springs); also, Trader Joe's.

In the non-food department, we lived about 15 mins from a quaint little town on the Chesapeake Bay. It had a nice 3/4 mile long boardwalk ... I miss going there for walks and smelling the scents of the Bay.

But, those couple of things are far outweighed by all the wonderful stuff here in TV.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Sage
Arrow More than I thought!

First, I miss some of my friends and especially my dear friend Carol. Also, I miss the glitz of Chicago. Michigan Ave. Everything at my finger tips. I miss the wonderful Italian food. I miss the cultural areas, The Historical Society, The Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium (I know, I know we have Sea World!) I miss the open air concerts in Grant Park and Rivinia. I miss pizza deliveries and Chinese food deliveries. I miss Lake Michigan and summers walking around Navy Pier. I miss the grit and guts of the people. I miss the city streets and lampposts. I miss the autumn leaves. Wow!

So why do I live here? Well, if I didn't live here, that list would be twice as long! Guess I've just been lucky enough to live in the two best places in America!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Gold member

I was worried I was the only Villager who had pangs for the things they left behind ... Chicago sounds awesome.... 'course Ima country bumpkin, I'd be like Crocodile Dundee in Chicago.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Gold member

I don't know yet what will be on my list, but what I think I'll miss are:
  • the color of fall leaves and the crisp blue autumn sky (but, that's what a trip up North in the fall is for)
  • the sounds of geese flying overhead in formation
  • an FM radio station that plays classical music (but that's what XM radio is for)
  • the beauty of freshly fallen snow on a calm, sunny day (but, we really don't get too many days like this in NJ)
Old 01-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Wow, now that Larry and I are in NJ visiting the kids and grandkids, I'm missing TV and the warm weather...and when we get back home to TV, I'll probably start missing the kids again!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Eternal Member

I miss the beach, the beach, the beach

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Platinum member

I miss ice-fishing on Lake St Clair in Michigan. Fresh yellow perch, walleyes, and pike.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-05-2009, 03:31 PM

I miss the wildlife. In Pennsylvania our back yard faced the woods and a stream. I loved feeding all the birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits and racoons. We often spotted deer and every spring we had a family of foxes.

I also miss certain restaurants, Giant grocery chain and certain clothing stores.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Well OK but,!!

This is going to hurt ,!!!!
I'LL have to say that I miss all the millions and millions of willow and oak leaves in my 110 x 255 ft yard (100 on the water) I miss wondering if the Ice will destroy my beach , I miss putting in 80 ft of dock and boat hoist in Water that still has ice floating on it , not to mention the winterizing of the boat so that the Guests will have something to play with.........I miss all the company that drops in uninvited to spend the weekend and your not sure if they are your cousins or your wifes and afraid to ask..........I miss all the tools that my neighbors borrow and never return , also the neighbors who call and invite you to their birthday party and tell you they are on a gift list at an expensive jewelery store .....( we don't have a dollar store in northern Michigan ) I miss the trips to the Emergency Room with a bad back from shoveling five foot drifts from your driveway and just as you finish the plow goes by and dumps it all back in again......I could go on and on .....
Do I miss back home ???? YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING !!!!!!

FUN IN THE SUN ...... FUMAR

Last edited by The Great Fumar; 01-05-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM

all of the above plus adequate public transportation
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM

Up until this past fall and Holiday season, I did not miss one thing from my Chicago roots. But after living in the panhandle of Florida (we are TV wannabees....waiting for house to sell) for 3 years, I MISSED Christmas Decorations. Houses don't decorate here, stores don't decorate....there was a huge hole in my Holiday feeling this year. I guess, next year, I will need to head to Chicago, Michigan Ave....Fields (opps Macy's) for a decoration fix and eat 'under' the tree. A nice crisp fall day would be a treat, too. Other than that...I miss nothing. It is so nice to not bundle up in Dec., Jan., or Feb....to make a trip to a store.

Last edited by meriboo; 01-05-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meriboo View Post
up until this past fall and holiday season, i did not miss one thing from my chicago roots. But after living in the panhandle of florida (we are tv wannabees....waiting for house to sell) for 3 years, i missed christmas decorations. Houses don't decorate here, stores don't decorate....there was a huge hole in my holiday feeling this year. I guess, next year, i will need to head to chicago, michigan ave....fields (opps macy's) for a decoration fix and eat 'under' the tree. A nice crisp fall day would be a treat, too. Other than that...i miss nothing. It is so nice to not bundle up in dec., jan., or feb....to make a trip to a store.
you'll love the decoratins in tv
Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Veteran member

OK, this is what I miss from up north . . . . . .um um nothing!!!
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 01-05-2009, 05:52 PM

Really good locally grown corn and tomatoes. Florida's produce just doesn't compare.

Also, probably #1 thing, fresh cut french fries.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.