What does The Villages Need?

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Part of the problem here is the way the leases are written. Toscani's Pizza is a good example. They would love to expand their deli business, and I'll bet they would do very well, but their lease says they cannot sell deli meats and cheeses. Publix forced the developer to write out any competition. I'd rather have the deli, and lose publix.
But Mulligan, isn't Toojays a deli? I love their stuff. I am not from the east coast so I guess I don't really know what a deli is supposed to offer.

And are you sure about this lease business and the developer being forced by Publix? There are SO MANY RUMORS that float around that are unfounded. I love Publix and it doesn't look to me like they'd have to have any contingincies to be successful. Great bakery. Wonderful bakery.

And getting back to what The Villages needs...More Bingo nights with ice cream sundaes for our Helene....and me too. I also want Home Goods and Chipotle. YUM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

1) Costco
2) A real brick-oven pizza place, run by real Italians
3) Trader Joes
4) A cable/internet/phone service company that uses the latest technology, and is cheap and reliable
5) Dicks sporting goods (or similar)
6) Quiet gas golf carts that don't emit fumes in the tunnels (and don't release gas vapors in your garage).
7) A final resolution to the IRS issue
8) House designs that have only 1 dining area (who needs 2?)
Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 AM

I haven't read all the posts about this subject but if it hasn't been mentioned , I would like to see a golf cart only gas station IN all the town squares areas. Then you wouldn't have to drive to the main highways to get gas. A good place would be in the back part of Sweetbay's parking lot. You could get your groceries and gas in one trip.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow1 View Post
I would like to see a golf cart only gas station IN all the town squares areas. Then you wouldn't have to drive to the main highways to get gas. A good place would be in the back part of Sweetbay's parking lot. You could get your groceries and gas in one trip.
I love this idea! Right now we do the gas can thing. This would be so much easier.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum member

I also like a good deli where they make breakfast sandwiches, have decent coffee and salads. It would be great in Colony, love Twojays, but there is nowhere in Colony for breakfast.

How about a real fish market, maybe where almost everything isn't farm raised?

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow1 View Post
I would like to see a golf cart only gas station IN all the town squares areas. Then you wouldn't have to drive to the main highways to get gas.
But, people open a business to earn a profit. I wonder how much profit would be generated by gas golf carts each buying 4 gallons of gas every three weeks? My guess is that everyone would continue to buy their gas at one of "the regular" stations rather than buy at the "golf cart only" station - for $9.95 per gallon.

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Part of the problem here is the way the leases are written. Toscani's Pizza is a good example. They would love to expand their deli business, and I'll bet they would do very well, but their lease says they cannot sell deli meats and cheeses. Publix forced the developer to write out any competition. I'd rather have the deli, and lose publix.
I was in the restaurant business years ago. (Yes, a pizza shop!)

That is called a non-compete lease, and it is VERY common in retail spaces.

If you had a pizza shop in a strip center, would you like another one opening next to you in the same strip? Or the tuxedo shop allowed to make pizza?

Sometimes these leases "choke" the strip center themselves, because a big "anchor" will want to be allowed to sell everything (Walmart?) thus killing its "neighbors".
Chandler, AZ
Battle Creek, MI
Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 PM

How about a meat market? Is there one around here? I used one back home and was way better than the grocery stores. I would buy fish, steaks and chicken there all the time. They always had great stew beef and fish all cut up for chowders.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.