What gives???

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts
Default What gives???

About an hour ago, a newbie made their first and second posts. The first was a new thread on the new members forum and simply stated "Hi there, how's everyone doing" The second post was in response to an ad poster for a landscaping company, and she replied "thanks for the info, I'll give you a call" I then posted something that we all , including CNM, would consider good advice, specifically "Beware hiring ANY contractor or service from an ad, there are a lot of scammers and inferior companies out there---check with TOTV or your neighbors first.

Within 15 minutes, BOTH threads were completely removed. I frankly cannot see any violation of the rules of TOTV in either thread, and the newbie may or may not make a bad decision in choosing services. And to take down a "Hi there" thread from a newbie makes no sense. So, WHAT GIVES???. (We'll see how long this post lasts)
Old 06-21-2017, 07:21 AM

We sometimes forget the things we didn't know when we arrived. I'm with you. Don't be so hasty to remove postings like that. Even dog poop stays around for a while.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
We sometimes forget the things we didn't know when we arrived. I'm with you. Don't be so hasty to remove postings like that. Even dog poop stays around for a while.
Unless it's diarrhea.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
About an hour ago, a newbie made their first and second posts. The first was a new thread on the new members forum and simply stated "Hi there, how's everyone doing" The second post was in response to an ad poster for a landscaping company, and she replied "thanks for the info, I'll give you a call" I then posted something that we all , including CNM, would consider good advice, specifically "Beware hiring ANY contractor or service from an ad, there are a lot of scammers and inferior companies out there---check with TOTV or your neighbors first.

Within 15 minutes, BOTH threads were completely removed. I frankly cannot see any violation of the rules of TOTV in either thread, and the newbie may or may not make a bad decision in choosing services. And to take down a "Hi there" thread from a newbie makes no sense. So, WHAT GIVES???. (We'll see how long this post lasts)
Maybe something else going on like this poster was someone kicked off and sneaking back on or some kind of unpaid for advertising. Only the shadow knows.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///
Old 06-21-2017, 07:47 AM
TOTV Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

We are having some system issues right now. When we delete a thread or post and have the time to write an explanation, the system is supposed to send you a PM with the explanation. We found out yesterday that this notification function is broken...I don't know how long it has been broken.

The posts and threads you refer to were made by an overnight foreign troll or spammer. We often find these in the morning and clean them up before they generate too many replies.

Nothing nefarious...we are simply trying to moderate the board in accordance with the site guidelines.

Sorry for the confusion and suspicion these actions stirred up. We will either have to find a workaround or ask for your patience and understanding until the notification problem is fixed.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
We are having some system issues right now. When we delete a thread or post and have the time to write an explanation, the system is supposed to send you a PM with the explanation. We found out yesterday that this notification function is broken...I don't know how long it has been broken.

The posts and threads you refer to were made by an overnight foreign troll or spammer. We often find these in the morning and clean them up before they generate too many replies.

Nothing nefarious...we are simply trying to moderate the board in accordance with the site guidelines.

Sorry for the confusion and suspicion these actions stirred up. We will either have to find a workaround or ask for your patience and understanding until the notification problem is fixed.

Thank you for the explanation. Overall I think the moderators do a great job despite the thankless nature of the position (sort of like golf ambassadors). Without you, all threads would probably deteriorate to the level of the political posts. So thank you for a job well done!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Amen
Old 06-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

I guess we will have to be more careful answering posts and especially getting friendly with people who are first posters unless they have been lurking a while and people know them. Sometimes I meet one of these lurkers around the Villages. One turned out to be a retired school administrator from Minnesota who had experienced some rather destructive tornadoes hitting around her school or maybe it was her church? May 6, 1965 Tornadoes: Minnesota DNR I hope she is still lurking on here.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-21-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post

Russian meddling??
Old 06-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Sage
Default What gives???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Russian meddling??

[emoji106][emoji41]. We need an investigation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Moderator, Thank you for the great explanation.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 PM

I have always respected moderators/site administrators, who have to be both patient and thick-skinned, but my respect zoomed to new heights when I agreed to start Nextdoor at the community we lived in before we moved to TV. Keeping interlopers off the site, patiently explaining to members in private messages why they violate the rules when they picked a fight with a neighbor on a public forum, making sure the site worked properly…sometimes it was like herding cats. On the other hand, it’s wonderful when people enjoy using a site and let the admin know that, as some of us have done here.
Closed Thread

Tags
thread, newbie, post, totv, neighbors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.