What happened to the gate?

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Angry Why Not

We have man'd gates all through the Villages but this one is mechanical and has the most breaks by users. Why not a man'd
gate here like all through the Villagers. Just fix the problem once and for all. It is sad that some can abuse the Village's and get away with it.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Gotta love it, I do the same thing. If they had a valid gate pass, they would not need to try to follow me through the gate before it closes.
I have absolutely no sympathy someone trying to cheat the system and end up damaging their own cart. Crazy stupid.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We have man'd gates all through the Villages but this one is mechanical and has the most breaks by users. Why not a man'd
gate here like all through the Villagers. Just fix the problem once and for all. It is sad that some can abuse the Village's and get away with it.
They are all mechanical. Some are manned and some are not. There are many unmanned gates. All gates get hit and damaged..... but only when someone drives into them. Some people need to slow down. Some people need to pay more attention. Some people need to turn in their license and stop driving. I'm thinking you have never seen this gate!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:11 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

People either forget there is no red button to push to get back in, or in some cases, shouldn't be entering The Villages through this gate.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,308 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman41 View Post
People either forget there is no red button to push to get back in, or in some cases, shouldn't be entering The Villages through this gate.
You can not get out without a card. Thus the incoming gate should never be broken due to I forgot my card. Someone coming in that should not be !
Old 02-19-2019, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
You can not get out without a card. Thus the incoming gate should never be broken due to I forgot my card. Someone coming in that should not be!
Thus, they must perform the identical illegal act going in BOTH directions.

I don't live near that entrance, so I never use it. Do BOTH gates suffer damage with equal frequency?

Last edited by champion6; 02-19-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Thus, they must perform the identical illegal act going in BOTH directions.

I don't live near that entrance, so I never use it. Do BOTH gates suffer damage with equal frequency?
I never saw the outbound gate broken. I did leave through the gate properly about two years ago when the hubbub was going on about the Duke Energy path. When I came back my card didn't work. I called my wife who brought the one from the car. Took about 15 minutes. Turns out the corner of the Gate Card curled up and did not work. They replaced both at the LSL office.

If I'm wrong then so be it but the break in the aluminum that I observed was at the diagonal weld where the corners meet. It was not sawed off as suggested before. If you saw something different I stand corrected. I think it was an accident. We shall see.

There will not be a guard at that gate as it is presently configured. It would be a major expense to change the way it is. The worst thing that could happen would hurt a whole lot of people who use that gate for necessities, not pleasure as we do.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

I cut the roof off of my golf cart so I can just drive under the gates.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
We came through that way last night and the broken part's of the gate are neatly stacked behind the bushes. Just in case you have never been to this particular gate it is made out of aluminum and is in the shape of a small Square Fence. It has an arm that methodically opens and closes that gate by having a motor with a horizontal arm attached to it. The corner of the Square Fence is broken exactly at the weld. Whoever did it is on tape. (Warner Wolf Lets Go To The Tape).

We had stopped using this gate for a long time but it is nice to go to Lowes in the Golf Cart. It shows the Best and the Most Impatient of The Village Residents. It is a process to get through and isn't snappy enough for some. I wonder if someone needed to get home to use the facilities or had an emergency and couldn't find their card for the gate? Any scenario is possible. The damage this time is severe. What a shame.
Yes, the perp might be on tape, but how will they be located? Carts have no registration or other means of owner identification.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Of course it's a snowbird.
Dam, that poor bird must have broken it's wing from hitting the gate that hard! And now it can't fly back up north to have the wing set by it's doctor.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I cut the roof off of my golf cart so I can just drive under the gates.
I guess you must have cut your cart down to be lower than 12 inches in order to go under the gate!!!

It's a swinging gate much like a small fence gate. It's not arms that lift up in order to pass thru.

Also this is a very short paved path between houses from the street to the gate. It is not a street or road for cars, just a path.

Some People speculating and suggesting fixes such as manning this gate obviously don't know what this gate/path is even like.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

People coming in that should not be?

The gates are not for residents only.

Anybody.....including non-residents have access at all gates in TV.

I think the tail gaters just are to lazy to roll down their window. I always do a slow roll through the gate when I spot the driver behind me sucking off my bumper.

The fine should be even higher to make a point.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Many Times

We have used this gate many times and am familiar with the times it has been damaged and repairs required. In addition to a potential booth at the gate I have always been in favor of having a number on each golf cart window. We do it for cars and even attachments to cars but ignore 70,000 + or - golf carts using cart paths like highways. It could be a control point for all of these vehicles.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

I think the tail gaters just are to lazy to roll down their window. I always do a slow roll through the gate when I spot the driver behind me sucking off my bumper.

The fine should be even higher to make a point.
Not this gate. You must have a card to get out and you must have a card to get in. No button to push. It is specifically there to keep non-residents out.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

You are so wrong. Shouldn't state facts if you don't know what you are talking about.

Tags
side, gate, happened, broken, sawed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.