What happened to the Political Forum

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Default What happened to the Political Forum

Has the Political Forum been removed from TOTV? If not how does one find it?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Has the Political Forum been removed from TOTV? If not how does one find it?
It imploded over a year ago..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

It was a useful resource for many of us that was destroyed by a very few.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:52 PM
Platinum member

It got too "political". I'm kidding. Some turned it into less political discourse and more into name calling and insults!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
It got too "political". I'm kidding. Some turned it into less political discourse and more into name calling and insults!
Particularly toward the few who made the extra effort to provide legitimate links, to bolster our position...instead of just going on 'gut' instincts or believing lies.

Not to say that retaliation was always avoided, as alas...oftentimes it wasn't.

And then there were those who thought their user names didn't show (when they actually did at the bottom of the page) and we saw some real ugliness...from members who hide it on the main forums.

The bottom line though, since true civil political discourse was very rare and was a stain on this site...it is better left deleted.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Particularly toward the few who made the extra effort to provide legitimate links, to bolster our position...instead of just going on 'gut' instincts or believing lies.

Not to say that retaliation was always avoided, as alas...oftentimes it wasn't.

And then there were those who thought their user names didn't show (when they actually did at the bottom of the page) and we saw some real ugliness...from members who hide it on the main forums.

The bottom line though, since true civil political discourse was very rare and was a stain on this site...it is better left deleted.

Good post.

Civil discourse, REAL HONEST CIVIL DISCOURSE, is dependent on honesty and facts.

TOTV had no choice in their decision.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am a little nauseous.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Good post.

Civil discourse, REAL HONEST CIVIL DISCOURSE, is dependent on honesty and facts.

TOTV had no choice in their decision.
It is still there just not open to post or edit. And what they really needed were objective moderators who also dig into what is being posted to see how accurate it was or was not. There were some incredibly nasty cyber bullies on there who would post anything no matter how libelous and malicious. And these few posters seemed to take great joy in causing others severe emotional distress.

Those of us who tried to post links and argue in terms of policy issues based on analysis of effects on real people and the like were often met just with personal insults and revelations of usually irrelevant personal information.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It is still there just not open to post or edit. And what they really needed were objective moderators who also dig into what is being posted to see how accurate it was or was not. There were some incredibly nasty cyber bullies on there who would post anything no matter how libelous and malicious. And these few posters seemed to take great joy in causing others severe emotional distress.

Those of us who tried to post links and argue in terms of policy issues based on analysis of effects on real people and the like were often met just with personal insults and revelations of usually irrelevant personal information.
True, and it will, or shall I say continue on here, since it is already apparent.

Shame, but TOTV did right.

Proud to say I was here when it began (as a horse farm debate).
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
It imploded over a year ago..
Some good dialog but too many wingnuts
Old 01-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Time changes peoples perspective on past practice. Some of what was mentioned today seemed to be on the money. Some of it not so much.

My views were and are very simple and sophomoric and yet my vote was equal to those who had the skill to articulate their thoughts way better than I could ever hope to.

I don't think anybody's mind was ever changed by anybody who was more learned than another. In the end it is a big Zero. At one point I was in favor of bringing the Thread

back in action. Not so much anymore. Enjoy your views and I'll enjoy mine. I watched a very decent man get run off the entire site because he refused to be psychoanalyzed

and criticized repeatedly by unqualified people.

Keep your Memories of the Political Forum, Good or Bad Memories are better than living through all that again. Good move TOTV'S
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Time changes peoples perspective on past practice. Some of what was mentioned today seemed to be on the money. Some of it not so much.

My views were and are very simple and sophomoric and yet my vote was equal to those who had the skill to articulate their thoughts way better than I could ever hope to.

I don't think anybody's mind was ever changed by anybody who was more learned than another. In the end it is a big Zero. At one point I was in favor of bringing the Thread

back in action. Not so much anymore. Enjoy your views and I'll enjoy mine. I watched a very decent man get run off the entire site because he refused to be psychoanalyzed

and criticized repeatedly by unqualified people.

Keep your Memories of the Political Forum, Good or Bad Memories are better than living through all that again. Good move TOTV'S
Many many more than one good person was driven out of TOTV dues to the political forum.

My memories of the political forum will always date back to the beginning. If you knew some of the reasons posters used to repel other posters for, no matter whether the agree "politically" or not, you would be shocked. So minor compared to the last go-round (improper link, not sufficient data, etc.)

Different world now, I support TOTV and the move.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Many many more than one good person was driven out of TOTV dues to the political forum.

My memories of the political forum will always date back to the beginning. If you knew some of the reasons posters used to repel other posters for, no matter whether the agree "politically" or not, you would be shocked. So minor compared to the last go-round (improper link, not sufficient data, etc.)

Different world now, I support TOTV and the move.
I hear you and I understand and like hearing the point of view of the real pioneers of this operation. Like you I know of more than one person who bailed out. The one I spoke of offered me the funds to actually make the move down here when it appeared my sale in N.J. was going south. Of course, I declined but it is just amazing that someone would make an offer like that. Once in a lifetime and then see that person get ripped to shreds on here. I don't think that's what was intended when this Thread was started. A real shame. Bravo for someone having the guts to stop the random beatings. Not an easy business decision I'm sure but it turned out to be pure Gold.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:28 PM
TOTV Moderator

The political forum was shut down because the discussions rarely remained substantive and often became personal, vicious, and racist. Some of this vitriol spilled over into the main forum. For the sake of civility and providing a safe, friendly place to discuss life in the Villages and other general interest topics, political and partisan topics are prohibited on TOTV.

Closed Thread

Tags
forum, political, find, removed, happened

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.