What happened to the Political Forum

What happened to the Political Forum

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
What happened to the Political Forum
  #1  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:22 PM
swooner swooner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 91
Default What happened to the Political Forum

Has the Political Forum been removed from TOTV? If not how does one find it?

  #2  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Kenswing's Avatar
Kenswing Kenswing is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Upper Left Coast
Posts: 4,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Has the Political Forum been removed from TOTV? If not how does one find it?
It imploded over a year ago..
__________________
Birthdays Are Good For You. Statistics Show the More That You Have The Longer You Will Live..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:09 PM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,617
Default

It was a useful resource for many of us that was destroyed by a very few.
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
  #4  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:52 PM
BK001's Avatar
BK001 BK001 is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bay Ridge Brooklyn, NY, The Village of Lynnhaven
Posts: 1,074
Default

It got too "political". I'm kidding. Some turned it into less political discourse and more into name calling and insults!
__________________
A great attitude is a choice, not a disposition
  #5  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 7,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
It got too "political". I'm kidding. Some turned it into less political discourse and more into name calling and insults!
Particularly toward the few who made the extra effort to provide legitimate links, to bolster our position...instead of just going on 'gut' instincts or believing lies.

Not to say that retaliation was always avoided, as alas...oftentimes it wasn't.

And then there were those who thought their user names didn't show (when they actually did at the bottom of the page) and we saw some real ugliness...from members who hide it on the main forums.

The bottom line though, since true civil political discourse was very rare and was a stain on this site...it is better left deleted.
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
  #6  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Particularly toward the few who made the extra effort to provide legitimate links, to bolster our position...instead of just going on 'gut' instincts or believing lies.

Not to say that retaliation was always avoided, as alas...oftentimes it wasn't.

And then there were those who thought their user names didn't show (when they actually did at the bottom of the page) and we saw some real ugliness...from members who hide it on the main forums.

The bottom line though, since true civil political discourse was very rare and was a stain on this site...it is better left deleted.

Good post.

Civil discourse, REAL HONEST CIVIL DISCOURSE, is dependent on honesty and facts.

TOTV had no choice in their decision.
  #7  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 35,442
Default

I am a little nauseous.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
  #8  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:54 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 36,946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Good post.

Civil discourse, REAL HONEST CIVIL DISCOURSE, is dependent on honesty and facts.

TOTV had no choice in their decision.
It is still there just not open to post or edit. And what they really needed were objective moderators who also dig into what is being posted to see how accurate it was or was not. There were some incredibly nasty cyber bullies on there who would post anything no matter how libelous and malicious. And these few posters seemed to take great joy in causing others severe emotional distress.

Those of us who tried to post links and argue in terms of policy issues based on analysis of effects on real people and the like were often met just with personal insults and revelations of usually irrelevant personal information.
  #9  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It is still there just not open to post or edit. And what they really needed were objective moderators who also dig into what is being posted to see how accurate it was or was not. There were some incredibly nasty cyber bullies on there who would post anything no matter how libelous and malicious. And these few posters seemed to take great joy in causing others severe emotional distress.

Those of us who tried to post links and argue in terms of policy issues based on analysis of effects on real people and the like were often met just with personal insults and revelations of usually irrelevant personal information.
True, and it will, or shall I say continue on here, since it is already apparent.

Shame, but TOTV did right.

Proud to say I was here when it began (as a horse farm debate).
  #10  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Paper1 Paper1 is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
It imploded over a year ago..
Some good dialog but too many wingnuts
Closed Thread

Tags
forum, political, find, removed, happened

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.