What happened to WVLG

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 10:40 AM

I think they take request. As there are so many folks in the Villiges I am sure that WVLG wants to cater to everyone. You could always stream radio from anywhere around the US.
Good luck
Old 11-24-2020, 11:50 AM
Default Try WQBQ-AM 1410 on the AM Dial. Ask Alexa to "Tune in WQBQ" or go to WQBQ1410.com

Try WQBQ-AM 1410 on the AM Dial. Ask Alexa to "Tune in WQBQ" or go to WQBQ1410.com on the internet. mostly local talk in the morning and good recognizable music all afternoon. Nice local radio station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I used to very much look forward to listening to WVLG, probable 8 of 10 songs they used to play were songs I very much enjoyed and rarely heard on other radio stations. Fast forward to currently and at best only 1 or 2 out of 10 songs are any good?

Earlier this morning I was sitting in our house up north looking outside at below zero temperatures, with frozen rain blowing sideways, and decided to get a small Villages fix (boy do I wish we were there) so I streamed WVLG. I stuck with the station for an hour despite not hearing one song I would even consider music. If hard pressed, the only semi-good thing I can say about their selection is that at least they did not play any RAP. Finally, I could not take the garbage they were playing anymore and had to turn it off. Apparently, whoever does the programing doesn't care about the stations ratings?

Can anyone recommend a decent radio station that comes in north of 466 that plays golden oldies and classic rock like WVLG used to? Please don't tell me to listen to Pandora or Spotify, I like listening to the radio.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:29 PM

As has been noted above, music tastes/likes are extremely subjective. I happen to lean towards jazz/R and B; even the new stuff not the rap. However; I occasionally tune into WVLG for the music variety and sometimes the talk. I enjoy the station. I still cannot get used to the fact that this community can support (very well it seems) its own station.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:37 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I used to very much look forward to listening to WVLG, probable 8 of 10 songs they used to play were songs I very much enjoyed and rarely heard on other radio stations. Fast forward to currently and at best only 1 or 2 out of 10 songs are any good?

Earlier this morning I was sitting in our house up north looking outside at below zero temperatures, with frozen rain blowing sideways, and decided to get a small Villages fix (boy do I wish we were there) so I streamed WVLG. I stuck with the station for an hour despite not hearing one song I would even consider music. If hard pressed, the only semi-good thing I can say about their selection is that at least they did not play any RAP. Finally, I could not take the garbage they were playing anymore and had to turn it off. Apparently, whoever does the programing doesn't care about the stations ratings?

Can anyone recommend a decent radio station that comes in north of 466 that plays golden oldies and classic rock like WVLG used to? Please don't tell me to listen to Pandora or Spotify, I like listening to the radio.
The Villages subscribes/buys programming from internet music much like MUZAK they don't have music inventory on the premises. You get what pay for I would rather listen to music than open house info.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
The Villages subscribes/buys programming from internet music much like MUZAK they don't have music inventory on the premises. You get what pay for I would rather listen to music than open house info.
First, this is not true. WVLG uses a wide orbit automation system and all their music is stored on network servers at the station. The music is then scheduled by the Program Director whose job it is to maintain the overall sound of the station.

Second, just like the Daily Sun, the radio station is a marketing tool that is owned and operated by The Villages. They are not competing for listener shares like other broadcast outlets do. They do sell advertising and, of course, serve as the main outlet for The Villages Realty efforts. Whether you like the music or not, doesn't really concern them.

They now broadcast on 3 separate signal, 1 AM and 2 FM to be able to adequately cover the expanding areas where the newer homes are being built. The also stream on a number of various services. The bottom line is, "it is what it is".

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 11-24-2020, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Most cable services provide music choices.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Old and classic country for me. Few it any in Florida radio. But, Comcast xfinity provided 834. And 830 when I need solid oldies. When I really want specific Utube.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ying li View Post
Your right, the music is horrible. 8 of 10.
It used to be a lot worse years ago...
Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Boston View Post
The more popular a song the more the royalty. Play tunes less liked = less cost.
Aha! That explains why I most certainly DO like WVLG!!! I am not fond of hearing songs on the radio that I've heard hundreds of times before. In the year or so I've been listening to WVLG, I appreciate that they play way more obscurities than any other oldies station.

Quite often a good but overlooked song will come on and I'll think, "I haven't heard this song in 40 or 50 years." Keep it up WVLG!
Old 11-24-2020, 11:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
Do a forum search this was all hashed out a few months ago
As have been the topics of 99% of all the other threads posted here and will continue to be like that unfortunately. No one chooses to or is familiar with search. Kind of like a topic that gets 50 identical answers to a question because no one reads the 49 identical replies that preceded their post.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
No one chooses to or is familiar with search. Kind of like a topic that gets 50 identical answers to a question because no one reads the 49 identical replies that preceded their post.
Au contraire. I do a search if I think a topic has probably been discussed before, specifically to avoid complaints telling me I should have done a search first.

As for repeating the same answers that are in previous posts, I agree, that's a bit annoying, but it comes with the territory.

As I've gotten older I've learned it's more fun NOT to give people an opportunity to complain. It beats them at their own game and I don't give them the satisfaction!
Old 02-18-2021, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

There’s a rumor that the government used the villages radio station to torture terrorist prisoners, its so mind numbing they will say anything to stop it, satellite radio $87 for year, Pandora in home for nothing set up for 12 different kinds of music grow a little branch out I’m still finding new music to like at 82
Old 02-18-2021, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Village Radio View Post
and we feature LOCAL news with weather forecasts right down to specific villages. That's something you just won't find on SiriusXM.
You hire someone in each village to look out their door? That's the ONLY way those reports could be right. I have a couple apps with "hyper local weather forecasts" as well as my own weather station up on the roof. Other than sticking ones head out the door those reports are rarely right. Hey, it's pouring in Mallory and the sun is shining in Amelia! (Just funnin' ya!)

Edit: Your app is pretty nice! Still prefer my XM but I am sure many will like it.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 02-18-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The people moving into The Villages now are from ages 55-65. That means that on average, they were teenagers in the mid to late seventies. Those of us that were teenagers in the mid to late sixties, are not going to like much of the music that these young whippersnappers listen. It's going change as time goes by. I hate to see it but that's the way that it's going to be. In 30-40 years they're going to be playing Justin Beiber and Taylor and yes, Rap.

Download all fo your favorite music and play what you like.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I still listen maybe because my garage radio is set to WVLG and it's easier to just hit the on/off button. Some of the stuff is pretty obscure, but they don't play two of those back to back.
Closed Thread

Tags
wvlg, radio, songs, stations, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.