What happened to WVLG

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 06:43 AM

If you use xfinity, channel 830 is SOLID GOLD OLDIES and very good. Many classic oldies of the 50's.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:58 AM

Your right, the music is horrible. 8 of 10.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:18 AM
Default https://www.ourgenerationsclassichits.com/

Closest thing to WVLG that I've found is

Home

(Click the little "Play" triangle near the top)
Old 11-24-2020, 07:37 AM

I'm in the minority, but music pre-Beatles is and was terrible. Good riddance to crap music, i.e., oldies.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I used to very much look forward to listening to WVLG, probable 8 of 10 songs they used to play were songs I very much enjoyed and rarely heard on other radio stations. Fast forward to currently and at best only 1 or 2 out of 10 songs are any good?

Earlier this morning I was sitting in our house up north looking outside at below zero temperatures, with frozen rain blowing sideways, and decided to get a small Villages fix (boy do I wish we were there) so I streamed WVLG. I stuck with the station for an hour despite not hearing one song I would even consider music. If hard pressed, the only semi-good thing I can say about their selection is that at least they did not play any RAP. Finally, I could not take the garbage they were playing anymore and had to turn it off. Apparently, whoever does the programing doesn't care about the stations ratings?

Can anyone recommend a decent radio station that comes in north of 466 that plays golden oldies and classic rock like WVLG used to? Please don't tell me to listen to Pandora or Spotify, I like listening to the radio.
Use the Pandora app and create your own station! It's great or subscribe to Sirius Radio which is equally great... you'll find the music station you're looking for there for sure.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I suspect that with all the new areas within The Villages that are being developed, most of the newer villagers are in their early 60's. So I'm sure that The Villages has changed the format of WVLG to be closer aligned with that age group. And their concept of a "golden oldie" is something that was recorded in the 1980's. I know when we first started visiting The Villages in 2001, WVLG was playing songs from the 40's and 50's. Then after several years, they started playing songs from the 60's and those were "our Golden Oldies". So, I guess, time marches on. And someday in the future, WVLG will be playing the "golden oldie RAP" format for the new "millennial" villagers that will be moving here.
I still prefer songs from the forties and fifties. Also the thirties. Alas! Not many of us do. For those who do, if you have Sirius XM, try Siriusly Sinatra, channel 73, I think. Great music! It’s known as The Great American Songbook: the greatest American songs. Bring them back!
Old 11-24-2020, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I used to very much look forward to listening to WVLG, probable 8 of 10 songs they used to play were songs I very much enjoyed and rarely heard on other radio stations. Fast forward to currently and at best only 1 or 2 out of 10 songs are any good?

Earlier this morning I was sitting in our house up north looking outside at below zero temperatures, with frozen rain blowing sideways, and decided to get a small Villages fix (boy do I wish we were there) so I streamed WVLG. I stuck with the station for an hour despite not hearing one song I would even consider music. If hard pressed, the only semi-good thing I can say about their selection is that at least they did not play any RAP. Finally, I could not take the garbage they were playing anymore and had to turn it off. Apparently, whoever does the programing doesn't care about the stations ratings?

Can anyone recommend a decent radio station that comes in north of 466 that plays golden oldies and classic rock like WVLG used to? Please don't tell me to listen to Pandora or Spotify, I like listening to the radio.

My problem with WVLG is more basic. I can't listen to it at all. I stream all of my radio through my phone. I have found WVLG streaming only through The Villages App. Unfortunately, after 5, 10, 15 minutes the stream stops 100% of the time. I have the most expensive Android phone made and it NEVER drops any other stations, so the problem appears to be solely with The Villages App. I wish they would either fix it, or have WVLG streamed through another streaming source.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

As the average age in The Villages is declining, WVLG is modifying its playlist accordingly. There are several excellent suggestions for alternatives in this thread. Not only will you get music you like, but you’ll avoid the endless and mindless ads soliciting you to visit the hundreds of open houses conducted by The Properties of The Villages, the station’s main advertiser.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Bands playing royalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Great link to that excellent webpage. Very informative. I had always (incorrectly) thought that after x?x?x number of years (not sure how many) music becomes "public domain" for radio stations to play without royalty fee. I'd be curious to know what the "blanket fee" WVLG or any small local station like them pays. Wondering if it's thousands or tens of thousands. Also the cover bands we always hear have to pay royalties as well. Wonder how many do.
Actually, the bands don't usually pay the royalties, the venues do. So in the Squares and any other Villages owned properties like Savannah Center, The Villages Entertainment Dept is responsible for the royalties. They may pass that cost on to someone renting a facility (a producer) but the band does not pay the royalty unless they are also the producer of the event, that is, if any ticket sales proceeds go to the band directly. The Villages Pops Chorus has a Concert license with the major royalty companies (ASCAP/BMI) but we are also the producers of our events. If someone hired us to perfrom somewhere, they would be responsible for royalties through the venue. I had an extensive discussion about this with the people at ASCAP when we first started. If the band makes a recording, then yes, they are responsible for getting the rights to record the song, as well as paying royalties on any sales.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:23 AM

Don't know what your financial situation is, but if you can get your hands on a internet radio you will be able to access any type, style genre of music your heart desires with just a WIFI connection. Around the world. My wife loves her internet radio and has found other music she didn't think she'd care for and plays that some times. Literally hundreds if not thousands of stations.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Their playlist has definitely moved up a few years in the last few months.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:39 AM

VERY good!!
Old 11-24-2020, 09:58 AM
Default Wvlg

Quote:

I agree 100% with your sentiments about the WVLG radio station. I'm about to eliminate it from my pre-set station list. Most of the music has become unrecognizable and there are far too many ads. I'm glad others have noticed this change besides myself. Thank you.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I suspect that with all the new areas within The Villages that are being developed, most of the newer villagers are in their early 60's. So I'm sure that The Villages has changed the format of WVLG to be closer aligned with that age group. And their concept of a "golden oldie" is something that was recorded in the 1980's. I know when we first started visiting The Villages in 2001, WVLG was playing songs from the 40's and 50's. Then after several years, they started playing songs from the 60's and those were "our Golden Oldies". So, I guess, time marches on. And someday in the future, WVLG will be playing the "golden oldie RAP" format for the new "millennial" villagers that will be moving here.
We are new villagers in our early 60s and do not like much of the music played on WVLG. Love the golden oldies.

The station talks about having a much larger inventory of songs than other stations. And that they can’t be narrowed down to one genre. My guess is they’re trying to please everyone but instead few are pleased.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:30 AM

Do a forum search this was all hashed out a few months ago
Closed Thread

Tags
wvlg, radio, songs, stations, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.