What has happened to Talk of the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
One thing I see that has changed. Posts that are intended to be funny or some with a little cutting edge are quickly deleted.
Yet, some posters that post paragraph after paragraph saying the same in a slightly different way...add nothing.
Some can post snarky and not get deleted others posting similar posts are again quickly deleted.
I remember the NFL being called the "no fun league". Maybe that now applies to TOTV?
So true - used to visit ToTV every day years ago - was typically interesting, lively, and fun. I tried to take part and post as well. Then>

- Apparent trolls or keyboard-hiding users sniped and snarked
- Angry personal responses to innocent Threads
- Classifieds turned into Flea Market
- Sponsors including their ads in Classifieds and Threads
- Seems to be fewer folks posting - perhaps gun-shy (can I use that term here?) about not wanting to be ridiculed or questioned about their comment
- Moderators over-reacting at times (if my post is deleted another time...)

A few weeks ago I posted a rsp to a Thread about commercials and TV. In my rsp I innocently included that "I will not watch upcoming political ads". My post was deleted by the Mod...

Oh well, it was ToTV was fun while it lasted.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
There are times where I’d like to ask a question of my fellow Villagers on this site, but I don’t because someone is always going to come back with a smart ass or insulting response. Why bother? Instead I go to my neighborhood site and ask. They are always very helpful. The difference is, on the neighborhood site, you may run into one of these neighbors who respond, so they are usually polite and informative. On this site, you may never know the person who responded as they are hiding behind a keyboard.
Actually, I learn from those smart ass replies too, if nothing else, the personality of the poster. I’ve had some posters on the “do not read” list. But eventually I took them off.

I don’t care much for the flea market ads either. Makes me want to stop looking at the ads completely.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I’m not so sure it’s worse. Remember Senior Citizen and some others that no longer post? Wow! They could start something.

Last edited by perrjojo; 09-08-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I can’t speak to what was, but this trend is every where not just at TOTV. It is like a cancer spreading through our country.

Sad but true...
YES. Have been here since basically the beginning and it has and is changing, and it is not JUST TOTV.

It is nation wide now to your point.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

misread above post

Last edited by Velvet; 09-08-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
misread above post
Which one?
Old 09-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
YES. Have been here since basically the beginning and it has and is changing, and it is not JUST TOTV.

It is nation wide now to your point.
True dat! Amen!

Old 09-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage

I've sense people being a lot snarkier and trying to zing others on a one-upman-ship. It's already happened in this thread a couple of time.

The other thing, when a question is asked about something specific, everyone else doesn't give a specific answer or pull the others down.
Such as (and this is hypothetical)...I bought a car at such and such a place and my question is can I get it serviced here. The answer might come back "I got my car at this other place". BUT never give the answer the OP is looking for. IF someone is new or legitimately needs an answer lets try to help one another out without answering just to answer.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Momentarily someone could be anyone will step in and allow us to understand what we should think about how things have changed.

I noticed the change. It is NOTHING but real.

The only thing I can do about it is not get caught up in the ongoing disrespectful battles on various subjects. I still really like TOTV'S. From what I understand there are

Peaks and Valleys with these kinds of Forums.

I know people who have left the Forum. They couldn't take the heat so.........They bailed out and I really admire them for their decisions.

It's getting better already now that we are sharing about the change in a polite manner.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Respect for honesty,...truth, and especially each other goes a long way
Old 09-08-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:

And "don't sweat the small stuff"
Old 09-08-2019, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I've sense people being a lot snarkier and trying to zing others on a one-upman-ship. It's already happened in this thread a couple of time.

The other thing, when a question is asked about something specific, everyone else doesn't give a specific answer or pull the others down.

Such as (and this is hypothetical)...I bought a car at such and such a place and my question is can I get it serviced here. The answer might come back "I got my car at this other place". BUT never give the answer the OP is looking for. IF someone is new or legitimately needs an answer lets try to help one another out without answering just to answer.
That is so true. And once the subject is moved off the topic the thread has its new life.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Yes, there have been major changes. I've enjoyed this chat line for many years, but slowly people left, nice people, intelligent people who really had something to say and their place has been taken over by very belligerent chatters with basically nothing intelligent to add to a conversation.

You may remember Old Coach, he was great, his writing was super interesting using commonsense. I never saw him post a derogatory post about anyone or reply to a post he disagreed with in a derogatory manner. But, he is just one of many nice people we had on here then.

I have been off TOTV for sometime, I still read through the posts but I only reply if I feel I have something to help.

Allow me to add this .. I had a stress appointment this week. Was sitting in the room taking the test when the door was flung open by this very large elderly man demanding to know what THEY were doing keeping him waiting. The technician took him outside and explained the facts of life to him in a very pleasant manner. When she came back she apologized and told me that old people were extremely rude and getting ruder.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Old 09-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Sage

Well, times change, things change, people change...and message boards can show the results of those changes. There are indeed some who seem to enjoy causing upsets, but this isn’t unique to TOTV, it happens on many boards. Life is fluid, people come and go and there will always be changes....some good, some not so good in our estimation. There is complaining, yet we’re all still here.... The people we encounter and interact with on boards become a part of our lives...we wonder what they’ll say, how they have responded to situations...and what they’ll share with us. Remember, if there are posts from individuals that cause you heartburn, you have the option of blocking that person and you won’t subject yourself to the stress they bring you. What’s the old expression...”Bitcheth not if you have easy options.” Some here forget there are rules they agreed to abide by, they are guests on the board, not paying subscribers or sponsors. Mods make sure the rules are followed even when some here decide the rules don’t apply to them.

Tags
villages, time, talk, happened, attack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.