What have you done recently for someone else ...

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister

Let's see. Whatever I have done, I wish I could have done more...and I will.

Now, every other week I travel to Ocala to donate platelets for cancer patients with LifeSouth (counting 230 donations so far), I am the coordinator for an AED/CPR team in my neighborhood, I coordinate Neighbors Taking Care of Neighbors and drove a lady to her doctor's appointment yesterday, I mentor a young student at Wildwood Middle School, I am a volunteer usher at my church and serving them is serving my GOD, and I donated a sound loop in the church for hearing impaired.....BUT I CAN AND I WILL DO MORE.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
Let's see. Whatever I have done, I wish I could have done more...and I will.

Now, every other week I travel to Ocala to donate platelets for cancer patients with LifeSouth (counting 230 donations so far), I am the coordinator for an AED/CPR team in my neighborhood, I coordinate Neighbors Taking Care of Neighbors and drove a lady to her doctor's appointment yesterday, I mentor a young student at Wildwood Middle School, I am a volunteer usher at my church and serving them is serving my GOD, and I donated a sound loop in the church for hearing impaired.....BUT I CAN AND I WILL DO MORE.

That is great. I do platelet donations 24 times a year when my health is good enough. Do this here in Lady Lake at the One Blood office. I should be at 31 gallons by the end of the month of January 2020. Knock on wood. With about 160 donations but these are to various blood banks in CA, MN and the Tampa Bay area in addition to One Blood and Life South.

Used to donate blood on the Life South blood mobile once in a while but have not since around 2013 or so. Have been sticking with One Blood.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 01-04-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:55 AM
Sage

It wasn't recent, but a few years ago I bought a patio villa for a person, who I considered a"combat buddy" who had fallen on hard times- he was a screen writer and his wife was a former super model & their life went into the basket when the screen writers went on strike

Bought the villa in Buttonwood, they left TV when neighbors got in her face, because of her Japanese heritage--she was the face of "Leggs panty hose" and appeared on the Cosby show, but was fired when she refused Cosby's advances
Old 01-04-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
It wasn't recent, but a few years ago I bought a patio villa for a person, who I considered a"combat buddy" who had fallen on hard times- he was a screen writer and his wife was a former super model & their life went into the basket when the screen writers went on strike

Bought the villa in Buttonwood, they left TV when neighbors got in her face, because of her Japanese heritage--she was the face of "Leggs panty hose" and appeared on the Cosby show, but was fired when she refused Cosby's advances
Cool. These very powerful people who abuse their positions for their own selfish needs are quite a problem. Cosby sure is one of these.

Good to hear that you tried to help. And did help.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:03 PM
Veteran member

What does this have to do with this current thread?
Old 01-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Talking

And then there's the age old debate; Can there even be such a thing...as a truly altruistic deed/action?

The argument being, that even if it is done in total anonymity, that at least the giver/doer derives pleasure from it...therefore it doesn't meet the strict definition of "altruism."

Regardless, this world is a much better place, because of those who take the time and make the effort...to help others.

To get back on topic, the most recent thing I've personally done that makes certain other folks feel better, is to have slowed down...posting on TOTV.

Happy New Year y'all.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:29 PM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I plan on taking care of 2 very special people in 2020, Mom and Dad.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I was raised to help no mater how big or small, but to never take credit for what was done. You know it was right, but not to look for others to tell you how special.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:50 PM

That is very nice. I have a lot of clothing I would like to donate to them. Do you have a contact number? TIA

Last edited by carolfry44; 01-04-2020 at 02:56 PM. Reason: delete
Old 01-04-2020, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The Villages Florida
Old 01-04-2020, 11:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

CHARITY NAVIGATOR (poke here)
Old 01-07-2020, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Villages Florida
That is very helpful information!
Old 01-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Stupidly, I didn't realize the Salvation Army was a religious organization!
Old 01-07-2020, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I keep saying I am never going to do this, but here I am again!

What is the purpose of this thread?
Do you do something for someone in the hopes of recognition?
Do you do something for someone because they really need it and you are able to help?

No, I do not like this thread at all ..................

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

I converted over a dozen people from Windows to Linux Mint. Linux Mint is a Windows-ish operating system that does not follow you or gather information on you. It does not force updates on you. While it will not run Windows programs (without special software), that are many programs for Linux that will work as good (if not better than) the Windows versions. Linux is not virus proof (neither is Apple), but the chances you being infected by one is VERY VERY VERY slim!

I will be at the Eisenhower Rec Center January 13th 1:00PM for a workshop on Chromebook and Linux, come on down and see it.

You can Google it or go on to YouTube and look for Chris Titus Tech, or Switched to Linux and many others.

With the support for Windows 7 ending this month and the problems Windows 10 is having, Linux is a better way.

Did I mention that Linux is FREE! Yes, you can download it and install it for free, no license no fees.

You use Linux more than you think, it's in a lot of things like cars, watches, web pages and much more! IBM paid $34 Billion for a Linux company (Red Hat) that sells support to major companies.
Closed Thread

Tags
year, perfect, recently, people, shy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.