What I personally find "unique" about TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Sage
Default What I personally find "unique" about TV

What I personally find "unique" about The Villages is that all of the necessary services are within the perimeter, unlike most other developements in the state of Florida..........where one would have to go out to the highway stores.

Everything is compact, organized and plentiful as far as services for the Villagers to reach by golf cart or auto.

This fact was further brought home to me when we ordered a slew of the latest updated 2013 maps from the Mercantile Store in TV. The clerk asked if I'd like her to include several of the "Business, Dining and Shopping Guides" which were then sent along with the maps.......

The guides are nicely laid out, village by village.........professional plaza/medical offices; shopping plazas/squares..........again, village by village and list each "business" or "medical specialty" including a directional map.

At the end of the guide they even list the country club restaurants and golf shops.....again with a clearly defined map.

Just like in a normal "home town" which has every service imaginable without having to leave town (not like a typical suburb located off of a highway exit)..........The Villages marketing staff has thought of everything.........and it shows.

We were also impressed with the well groomed general appearance of the entire place..........no matter where we drove to, it was neat and pretty.

We didn't see any "seedy side of town" as one would always find in any normal town. Good zoning helps to keep things looking so nice, for sure.

So, in my humble opinion........if this is "artificial" or like an adult Disney World......like quite a few have told me, then more power to that concept.
I would instead refer to it as "well groomed".......and "well manicured"....

I totally understand the pride that people who live there have in their home town.

In our 48 years of marriage, we have seen many "abandoned" Florida developements..........Rotunda comes to mind (near Naples) and Cape Coral......where although the maps on realtors walls show canals.......some canals, and canal homes bought by unsuspecting folks, do not go out to the Gulf of Mexico. We noticed that. They go nowhere.
Others do go out to the Gulf.........

Many developements began with good intentions but then the housing boom went bust.........and you can see in aerial views of homes for sale that they are "isolated" with empty lots all over the place..........not good.
Many are beautiful homes but in ugly neglected developements.

The last thing I'd want is to be stranded or isolated in the middle of nowhere with no services as I aged in place. This is why I would choose TV. The management has basically thought of everything that any senior citizen would need or want.........and then some.

What do you, personally, find "unique" about TV ? Other than golf.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I generally tend to agree with your comments. However like all issues it cuts as much as it kicks. The compression of amenities is good for all the reasons you cite however it is also the cause of much of the congestion here and as the build out continues so will the congestion.

The cleanliness and look of TV comes with a cost and with the passage of time believe it will eventually fade without stricter enforcement.

The a person is still faced with that dilemma once he/she leaves TV
only reason we moved to florida is because of TV and the fact that you did not have to travel through abad area before getting to a good area.. However, one is faced with that dilemma once leaving the confines of TV.

People here are a great resource and for the greater part pleasant. I chalk that up to the fact that we most of us are in the final act of our life and as such priorities are to enjoy every moment and thus avoiding or ignoring the negatives as much as possible and coming to peace and terms as to who we are.

Clearly the choice to live here, as it stands now, is as good as any. However, tere are plenty of wonderful communities in the USA and for that we should all be grateful.

So from a personal point of view I am thankful and grateful to my God for his many blessings.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What is unique is the sameness everywhere. Some houses are a LITTLE bigger or a LITTLE smaller but no great clues exist to a persons wealth or lack thereof.

What matters here is generally what you ARE, not what you did, what you have, what you own or how important you used to BE OR how old or young you are and what you drive or WHO you know or knew.

It is amazing to know someone for a long time here to find out that they did what is considered to be remarkable things before they grew up and moved here.

Or to know someone for a long time here to find out they didn't have the opportunity to go to college....Many were born after the depression and that opportunity did not present itself, but even without formal education most made huge successes of their lives in many ways. Just listen to their life stories. They have raised wonderful children and accomplished greatness in MANY ways but still as important as the CEOs and college professors who live among us. AND maybe are the CEOs and heads of large companies, now retired.

The smart people who live here, the sage people, the witty people, the compassionate people, the patient people NEVER cease to amaze me.

I think it is because after living the required five and a half decades to reach the requirement to live in a 55 plus community, most of us have faced some awfully hard things, some terrible illness, death to those we love, financial downturn, terrible disappontment...and lived through them.

There are a few who have not. There are those who have been sheltered and continue to demand and be selfish, but those folks seem to be in the minority.

It is true...with age comes wisdom, and forebearance.

I like the age of the folks here. They KNOW stuff and there is kindness in their eyes.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What is unique is the sameness everywhere. Some houses are a LITTLE bigger or a LITTLE smaller but no great clues exist to a persons wealth or lack thereof.

What matters here is generally what you ARE, not what you did, what you have, what you own or how important you used to BE OR how old or young you are and what you drive.

It is amazing to know someone for a long time here to find out that they did what is considered to be remarkable things before they grew up and moved here.

Or to know someone for a long time here to find out they didn't have the opportunity to go to college....Many were born after the depression and that opportunity did not present itself, but even without formal education most made huge successes of their lives in many ways. Just listen to their life stories. They have raised wonderful children and accomplished greatness in MANY ways but still as important as the CEOs and college professors who live among us. AND maybe are the CEOs and heads of large companies, now retired.

The smart people who live here, the sage people, the witty people, the compassionate people, the patient people NEVER cease to amaze me.

I think it is because after living the required five and a half decades to reach the requirement to live in a 55 plus community, most of us have faced some awfully hard things, some terrible illness, death to those we love, financial downturn, terrible disappontment...and lived through them.

There are a few who have not. There are those who have been sheltered and continue to demand and be selfish, but those folks seem to be in the minority.

It is true...with age comes wisdom, and forebearance.

I like the age of the folks here. They KNOW stuff and there is kindness in their eyes.
Graciegirl,
Great post.
You are one of the major reasons we bought in the Villages. We are closing on May 1 and expect to be full time by the fall. We hope to meet you one day at a square and just talk a bit. You have wisdom far beyond your years!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this forum.
Michael and Susan Olech
Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Sage

90 miles of golf cart trails!!!

Then there's Gracie, Bill and Sandy, Bare, Old Coach Ed, etc that will always be an attraction for newcomers and enjoyed by those who are already in TV.

For me, I would say it is the generous spirit to help someone out. A friend is someone who go out of their way to help someone in need. There is a lot to be said for a neighborhood of people who are a throwback to the times of the fifties where people thought nothing of helping people.

I love the ambiance of the entertainment of the squares and the overall happiness people have.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

This might sound strange, but I moved around a lot...

The unique thing about TV [for me] is that no one is "from" TV.

Everyone living here came from somewhere else and were required to make new friends.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The uniqueness to me is the people. I have lived all over the world and never have I found such a generosity of spirit that I have found here. If you need help, there's always someone who will step up to the plate, whether you be friend or stranger. That, to me, is what makes TV so very special and wonderful.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

Everyone living here came from somewhere else and were required to make new friends.
One can say the same for several growing cities. It is not uncommon for people that live in Atlanta to not know anyone (or few) that were born or grew up there.

I have no doubt this is part of the reason people tend to be more social compared to their former "home". Plus, there is a lot of turnover of homes and rentals are constant turnover. Always someone new looking to establish friendships and activities. Makes the social overhead easier.

It is IMO the major contributor to the phenomenon that is experienced in many of those types of communities.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:

I love this post above. I was thinking "not sure what I'd say because there are so many unique things" here. Well, what me mason says is what I think too.

We learn so much from all the new friends and neighbors here who came from all 50 states and many other countries!! The natural diversity of the population here is totally unique.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Sage
Default All great responses to the uniqueness of The Villages

All great responses to the uniqueness of The Villages with the general consensus being "the people" who inhabit TV and chose it as HOME.
As always, "Home is where the Heart is".........

“ All paths lead nowhere. Follow the path with heart.....”

Carlos Castaneda

”You need a village, if only for the pleasure of leaving it. A village means that you are not alone, knowing that in the people, the trees, the earth, there is something that belongs to you, waiting for you when you are not there. “ ~Casare Pavese

”The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.”
Helen Keller

"You can never go home again, but the truth is you can never leave home, so it's all right.” ~Maya Angelou

”Home is not where you live but where they understand you.” ~Christian Morgenstern

”Home is a place not only of strong affections, but of entire unreserve; it is life's undress rehearsal, its backroom, its dressing room.” ~Harriet Beecher Stowe

”Peace - that was the other name for home.” ~Kathleen Norris

”Where we love is home,
Home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.”
~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., Homesick in Heaven

Home is the one place in all this world where hearts are sure of each other. It is the place of confidence. It is the place where we tear off that mask of guarded and suspicious coldness which the world forces us to wear in self-defense, and where we pour out the unreserved communications of full and confiding hearts. It is the spot where expressions of tenderness gush out without any sensation of awkwardness and without any dread of ridicule.” ~Frederick W. Robertson

”Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one; stronger than magician ever spoke, or spirit ever answered to, in the strongest conjuration.” ~Charles Dickens

”Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in.’”
~Robert Frost, The Death of the Hired Man

”Home is a place you grow up wanting to leave, and grow old wanting to get back to. “~John Ed Pearce

”Home ought to be our clearinghouse, the place from which we go forth lessoned and disciplined, and ready for life.” ~Kathleen Norris

”The light is what guides you home, the warmth is what keeps you there. “ ~Ellie Rodriguez

”It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.” ~Author Unknown

”Where thou art - that - is Home.” ~Emily Dickinson

”There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort. “~Jane Austen

”Home is a shelter from storms - all sorts of storms.” ~William J. Bennett

”Every house where love abides
And friendship is a guest,
Is surely home, and home sweet home
For there the heart can rest.”
~Henry Van Dyke

”A house that does not have one worn, comfy chair in it is soulless.” ~May Sarton

”Home is where you can say anything you like cause nobody listens to you anyway.” ~Author Unknown

”One's home is like a delicious piece of pie you order in a restaurant on a country road one cozy evening - the best piece of pie you have ever eaten in your life - and can never find again. After you leave home, you may find yourself feeling homesick, even if you have a new home that has nicer wallpaper and a more
efficient dishwasher than the home in which you grew up.” ~Lemony Snicket

”Home is where the heart can laugh without shyness. Home is where the heart's tears can dry at their own pace.” ~Vernon Baker

”He is the happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home.” ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

”Home, the spot of earth supremely blest,
A dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest.”
~Robert Montgomery

”I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” ~George Washington

The Villages Florida has something for everyone and is a wonderful home to all.....
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

As I have just purchased (close April 8th)...............I find all your responses very insightful, benefical, and encouraging. It makes me ever more anxious to get to The Villages so I can experience the "lifestyle" and meet all you wonderful people.

Thank you for the comments.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 PM

The last thing I'd want is to be stranded or isolated in the middle of nowhere with no services as I aged in place. This is why I would choose TV. The management has basically thought of everything that any senior citizen would need or want.........and then some.

That is exactly why we are buying here. We looked at many places, and there are a lot of beautiful parks to chose from, but after seeing what caused her parents to give up their home we chose TV. Not having to drive long distances in heavy traffic for groceries or medical needs as we age, we will appreciate it even more. Being a frog has its advantages.

We were down recently to buy and I was at a pool talking with a guy that rents for 2 months each year. We were talking about the great people we had met on our visits, his comment was "Its almost like this place is Stepford they are all so nice"
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdollard View Post

That is exactly why we are buying here. We looked at many places, and there are a lot of beautiful parks to chose from, but after seeing what caused her parents to give up their home we chose TV. Not having to drive long distances in heavy traffic for groceries or medical needs as we age, we will appreciate it even more. Being a frog has its advantages.

We were down recently to buy and I was at a pool talking with a guy that rents for 2 months each year. We were talking about the great people we had met on our visits, his comment was "Its almost like this place is Stepford they are all so nice"
This, above in bold, is why I cannot relate at all when newbies come here and complain that "it's too big" and "there's too much hustle-bustle". Well, there is strength in numbers!

We would not have everything we need here with a smaller, more sedate and inactive population!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

Well, considering that most over 55 year old couples are not having children, it would be very rare for someone to be born here. Maybe some of the Morse family were born here.

Does the Villages Hospital have a maternity ward?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Well, considering that most over 55 year old couples are not having children, it would be very rare for someone to be born here. Maybe some of the Morse family were born here.

Does the Villages Hospital have a maternity ward?
That's a really good question. What if a visiting daughter in law or other young family member went into premature labor.......? Where is the next closest hospital.........or does t.v. have a maternity ward?

p.s.
The 55 year old male could conceivably have a 39 year old wife, or even younger. It does happen. Our daughter married a fellow 13 years older than she was....and after twenty years of marriage, the age does seem to creep up. Our son married a young women 13 years younger than he was.......

On the same thought, does the Villages Hospital have a pediatrics unit if a child was injured while visiting grandma and grandpa?

Again, good question.

P.S. In hindsight, I know of several men who fathered children in their early 60's. So, it does happen.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.