What If?

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Eternal Member
Default What If?

Okay I know the powers to be have put a halt to New Years eve on the squares but what about a flash mob hit on one of the squares. Some rules would have to be set up but could it be pulled off on a grand scale?

Entertainment? How about a portable boom box so the powers could not accuse anyone of stealing their power.

Food? bring your own

Drink? bring your own. NO open containers in any parked cart.

Chairs? bring your own and there will be no hassles about saving or roping them together.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Can it be made to happen?

VG
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Sage

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4olBuhkovYc]Flash Mob The Villages, FL - YouTube[/ame]
Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer View Post
Okay I know the powers to be have put a halt to New Years eve on the squares but what about a flash mob hit on one of the squares. Some rules would have to be set up but could it be pulled off on a grand scale?

Entertainment? How about a portable boom box so the powers could not accuse anyone of stealing their power.

Food? bring your own

Chairs? bring your own and there will be no hassles about saving or roping them together.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Can it be made to happen?

VG
What makes you think it would be limited to well-intentioned Villagers and not outsiders? Have you ever been close to a flash mob?
This aint the 'hood, folks.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have heard two reasons for the New Years Eve party not being offered until midnight on the squares. One of them is that it is chilly out and the other is that it is chilly out. It has been missing for many years now...four...five?

A great New Years Eve party that I have heard about but not attended is one of The German Clubs who host a dress up dinner at The Savannah Center. Dress up being quite broad in it's interpretation. But dining and dancing and cocktails until midnight at least.

AND I also hear it is mitout der ooom pah pah....
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 AM

Just stay home and watch Guy Lombardo on TV
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Virtual Geezer;578987]Okay I know the powers to be have put a halt to New Years eve on the squares but what about a flash mob hit on one of the squares. Some rules would have to be set up but could it be pulled off on a grand scale?

Food? bring your own

How old are you???? Sounds like Denver Colorado.

Last Father's Day, a "Flash Mob" was arranged whereby all the new dads carrying their infant sons and daughters.........traveled up and down their particular "city center" neighborhood, in and out of the shops and stores and restaurants, up and down the sidewalks..........finally stopping to hold up their BABIES to that tune from the LION KING........

NEVER HEARD OF A FLASH MOB UNTIL THEN......A YEAR AGO.

Last edited by senior citizen; 11-10-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: separate original message from new reply
Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1366 View Post
Just stay home and watch Guy Lombardo on TV

As you probably already know, he's long deceased.....my mom and dad watched him.

Dick Clark took over and he's also gone.........

Guess Ryan Seacrest is the host now.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECHFalcon68 View Post
What makes you think it would be limited to well-intentioned Villagers and not outsiders? Have you ever been close to a flash mob?
This aint the 'hood, folks.
It isn't always the "hood" gangs.

The one in Denver with the Lion King theme for Father's Day with the babies held up in the air.......were a bunch of ivy league preppy types who relocated to Colorado for the high tech jobs...........plus doctors, etc. in the "mob".

I'd never ever seen one before.....or even heard of it myself, but they are not all from "hoods"...........although it was the particular neighborhood.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have heard two reasons for the New Years Eve party not being offered until midnight on the squares. One of them is that it is chilly out and the other is that it is chilly out. It has been missing for many years now...four...five?

A great New Years Eve party that I have heard about but not attended is one of The German Clubs who host a dress up dinner at The Savannah Center. Dress up being quite broad in it's interpretation. But dining and dancing and cocktails until midnight at least.

AND I also hear it is mitout der ooom pah pah....
Those are the best two reasons for not having a New Years Eve party at the square, chilly and chilly!

What about a New Years Eve Noon Party? I'm serious and not trying to be funny. Let's face it, as we grow older we need to adapt to the changes. It doesn't mean we can't have fun and celebrate!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
Those are the best two reasons for not having a New Years Eve party at the square, chilly and chilly!

What about a New Years Eve Noon Party? I'm serious and not trying to be funny. Let's face it, as we grow older we need to adapt to the changes. It doesn't mean we can't have fun and celebrate!
Very good idea....as far as starting it EARLIER.....noon is good.
Morning is better yet. We're up at 4 a.m.

Once our kids were "raised" we used to host an annual New Years Eve get together in our house. (Prior to that, we'd just all stay up as a family and have snacks in front of the fireplace......but usually fell asleep before midnight.)

Our annual N.Y.'s Eve party was fun.......we'd all go out to eat at a Japanese restaurant early and then return to our house for various appetizers, dessert, etc. champagne......or other years I would lay out a full buffet and we'd skip going out to dinner.

It was fun in our 40's and then we noticed in our 50's (as some were approaching 60) they'd start to nod off and couldn't even wait for "Guy Lombardo Long Deceased" or midnight to arrive. Our neighborhood had grown older from the young twenty something parents along with the surrogate grandparent neighbors......so we'd be mid 40's to 70s......

It got worse every year. Even with taking naps..........no one could stay awake.

The earlier years when everyone was younger were the best.

I think as you age, you begin to rise and shine earlier and thus need to get some zzzzzzzz's earlier. We're just not night owls.

I wonder often "who it really is" that stays up dancing all night long and frequents those bars in the squares. Can't be the majority.

So, if we ever get there we can host a "morning" or "noon" celebration.
No problem.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

New Years Eve----I'm in bed by 10 PM, wake up at 2 minutes to 12, kiss the wife at midnite, whether she wakes up or not, and am snoring by 0005. Guess I'm not a party animal.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 11-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
New Years Eve----I'm in bed by 10 PM, wake up at 2 minutes to 12, kiss the wife at midnite, whether she wakes up or not, and am snoring by 0005. Guess I'm not a party animal.

Very cute. Very thoughtful. You are invited to the noon New Year's Eve party.....or morning to noon.

Ten o clock is about the time all of our guests would begin to nod off.
And believe me, none of us are boring people.........just need our sleep.

It's such a long wait until midnight.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Default flashmob

this is flashmob to watch out for!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

And now the link duh! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfJFTLqx1ac]The World's Oldest Flash Mob 3 November 2012 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfJFTLqx1ac]The World's Oldest Flash Mob 3 November 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.