What if we don't like The Villages sales rep "assigned" to us..

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Sage
Default Re: What if we don't like The Villages sales rep "assigned" to us..

Ron is not being negative, just realistic - If an agent, Realtor, salesman, call them what you want don't make sales they don't make money PERIOD!!!!

Some do it by being low key best friends. Some may be nice because it's their nature and they know they'll get your business later if not sooner. Some may be hard nose down to earth types. Some may be A types. Some may be B types.

BUT IF THEY DON'T MAKE THE SALE THEY DON"T MAKE THE MONEY!

They know what approach works for them and the good ones will always size up the client and know what will work on them.

It's not rocket science - it's called SALES!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:23 AM
Gold member

Yes, you can certainly ask for a different agent, preferably by doing it nonjudgmentally, as was suggested earlier, that is, no complaint about who was assigned to you but just that you weren't comfortable chemistry-wise.

We started out with Brian Buehler in TV, who was thoughtful, listened well, very responsive to interminable questions, and answered them quickly. We were clear that we wanted a resale, and although he suggested that we look at new construction if for no other reason than comparison, which we did choose to do, there was no pressure. In the end we did not buy through him or any other salesperson, nor did we buy a FSBO per se. What actually happened is that friends of ours took us to meet people who had their house listed with TV and we bought privately; all the sellers had to do was make a phone call to say they were selling privately and to end their listing, which apparently is allowed in FL.

We and Brian have still maintained a connection, and in fact he invited us to the party he and his real estate partner, Brad Becker, threw at the Polo Fields for everyone who had bought through them in the past year. He certainly didn't have to include us but chose to do so. Very decent, laid-back fellow, well worth considering to use.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Veteran member

we recommend audrey.sullivan@thevillages.com even knowing we were on our first trip and would not be buying on that trip she gave us 3/4 of the days time without any stress!
Wanabee future TVer
Old 05-28-2008, 06:07 AM
mac9divot

I'll throw my "2 cents" into the pot. My sales rep, Joe Deleo, was absolutely fantastic. Worked with him for over a year before we bought. Showed us exactly what we asked to see with no pressure whatsoever. I have recommended him to our best friends who also purchased from him. Our friend is not an easy person to fool as he has been in sales for over 30 years and recognizes a bad apple when he sees one. They too were delighted with the sevice that they received from Joe.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
Ron, have to disagree with you on this one!! It sounds as if you've experienced some greedy agents. But please don't judge an entire industry based on your negative experiences.
BF, like Russ said, wasn't meant to sound negative, just realistic. No, I haven't had any bad experiences. I should have mentioned, that we LOVE our rep! She has done everything we asked, and more. Her name is Mitzi Terry, and would reccomned her to ANYONE! The bottom line, whether the person is working for TV's, or an outside agency, is the sale. If it wasn't, then nothing would ever get sold, as the two sides would never negotiate
Old 05-28-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourpar
Hmmmm. A little clarification is in order here. The agents working for the developer are licensed be the State of Florida as either Salespersons or Brokers to conduct real estate business in the State. Those licensees do not belong to the National Association of REALTORS, however.

Members of the National Association of REALTORS are 1- Licensed by the State of Florida in the same way agents for The Villages are licensed. and 2. They are able to use the term REALTOR by virtue of that membership. The sales people of TV are indeed not REALTORS. They are Agents of The Villages.

While that may sound like splitting hairs, trust me it is not. The difference is wide, and anyone doing business with salespersons from TV should understand exactly who those sales persons owe their loyalty.

My background = Florida Licensed Broker, Instructor and REALTOR for 18+ years

Very good explination, I could not have said it better myself. I would also like to say that Jim McLaughlin also gets my vote, he showed us some houses when we were down there in Feb, a very nice and professional man to work with.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Well, I appreciate all the input, and there are plenty of good sales reps, and a few not, just like any business. I ended up contacting Debra Park and couldn't have been more pleased at the result. Thanks everyone
Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
Ron is not being negative, just realistic - If an agent, Realtor, salesman, call them what you want don't make sales they don't make money PERIOD!!!! Some do it by being low key best friends. Some may be nice because it's their nature and they know they'll get your business later if not sooner. Some may be hard nose down to earth types. Some may be A types. Some may be B types.
BUT IF THEY DON'T MAKE THE SALE THEY DON"T MAKE THE MONEY!
They know what approach works for them and the good ones will always size up the client and know what will work on them.
It's not rocket science - it's called SALES!
Sorry to hijack this topic of Assigned Village agent. :cop: However Ron stated in his post that all agents work for the sale, nothing more, nothing less! I just can't let that statement pass. To suggest that ALL agents are motivated purely by sales commission, is simply not true.

There are agents that work purely for commission and they are generally pretty miserable individuals. There are agents that work because they love the job of finding that "perfect" house for a client; and they are usually much happier and self fulfilled. Even if they don't make a sale, they receive referral business because of their great attitude.

It 's like suggesting that all teachers or nurses work only for the salary, nothing more, nothing less! The terms "job satisfaction" and "integrity" come to mind.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:28 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
Sorry to hijack this topic of Assigned Village agent. :cop: However Ron stated in his post that all agents work for the sale, nothing more, nothing less! I just can't let that statement pass. To suggest that ALL agents are motivated purely by sales commission, is simply not true.

There are agents that work purely for commission and they are generally pretty miserable individuals. There are agents that work because they love the job of finding that "perfect" house for a client; and they are usually much happier and self fulfilled. Even if they don't make a sale, they receive referral business because of their great attitude.

It 's like suggesting that all teachers or nurses work only for the salary, nothing more, nothing less! The terms "job satisfaction" and "integrity" come to mind.

Sorry to have started this! Purely? Maybe not, but do you think people would do this on a volunteer basis? A teacher could fail the whole class, and still get paid. Doctors and nurses lose patients all the time, and thru no fault of their own, and still get paid. But if a realtor/rep loses, do they get paid? No. I never said some don't enjoy the work, of course they do, but if they don't sell, and get no check,then they'd be on to something else soon enough. I wasn't questioning anyones integrity at all, nowhere near a mention of that in my statement. Please don't turn words around on me, suggesting I was saying something that I wasn't even close to. I'll end with this. You have volunteer teachers, you have volunteer nurses, but have you ever heard of anyone donating their time, as a volunteer realtor???
Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There is a little of that and a little of this in selling for pure commission. A persons professionalism doesn't change and is the sum total of their real personality, whether they are in sales or a teacher. I know, I have been both.

If you are a person who works hard, tries to do the right thing, is considerate, conscientious, kind, a better listener than a talker and well informed, it is hard not to be successful.

Your first goal is to earn money, of course, but most people are not fooled. If the REAL you is helpful, hardworking and caring, then people will tell people who tell people and success happens.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCT
You have volunteer teachers, you have volunteer nurses, but have you ever heard of anyone donating their time, as a volunteer realtor???
Priceless RCT! Yes, the act of giving back to the community as a volunteer Realtor. You've motivated me - I was thinking that instead of becoming an RN, maybe I should become a volunteer IT professional.

Seriously:
You have to love your work to be truly successful but any Realtor (agent, whatever) knows that many, many people try the business and then fail because they don't make the sales numbers. You don't see them continue in the profession after that.

Neither RCT nor anyone here is questioning someone's integrity.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
Priceless RCT! Yes, the act of giving back to the community as a volunteer Realtor. You've motivated me - I was thinking that instead of becoming an RN, maybe I should become a volunteer IT professional.
I was merely trying to make the point that all realtors aren't money-grubbing bottom-feeders (my words, not yours). But I can't match the wit and scarcasm of Russ and Ron, who are both fine gentlemen and people I respect.
Peace and love boys. lovehorse
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

barefoot, Russ et all,

it's not good to generalize about any group of people, including realtors/sales reps.
unfortunately over time, sales types have gotten bad reps (and often deserved) for things they do.

peace
Old 05-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Sage

As Father Mulchay from M*A*S*H once said "Oh the jocularity!".

Ron - Do you want the label of 'witty' or the stigma of 'sarcastic'?

Just joking everyone - TV pretty much sells itself regardless of agent and the fine friends that I've made here on TOTV just seal the deal.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:55 AM
Platinum member

Let me add a recommendation for a Village representative. We worked with Kathy Gooding for the past three years - coming down about once a year. Kathy stayed in touch, set aside most of this week to work with us, and was most informative and helpful. As others said, absolutely no pressure. Unfortunately, the house that we chose was listed with MLS. It surprised us as the odds are against that. If you are seeking someone, I would recommend Kathy and her business partner Bev as outstanding, knowledgeable, and friendly representatives.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.