What kinds of flags ARE allowed?

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2019, 05:48 AM
TOTV Moderator

OP asked a sincere question about Community Standards policies on flying flags (other than US Flag).

A number of accusatory and off topic (hedging towards political) posts have been removed.

Please stay on topic.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Taking the bait

Section 720.304 (2)(a) of the Florida code , essentially supersedes community rules and allows for the erection of one flag pole of not more than 20' on which one may display an American Flag of not more than 4.5 x 6 feet. and one Florida State flag of the same or smaller size , or one flag of a US military services of similar size. The law does not supersede any other pertinent law rule or regulation preventing flags or signs. No preemption for Trump, Orioles , Ohio State, Mickey Mouse or any other. I contend that flags are really another form of sign and unless they fall under the protection of the cited Florida stature, they are in violation of what ever sign rules may exist and should be removed .
Old 07-12-2019, 06:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I see a lot of flags from other states and POW/MIA black flags. I wonder if these are OK?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I see a lot of flags from other states and POW/MIA black flags. I wonder if these are OK?
POW MIA yes Other states not mentioned as permissible in Florida Statute.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Taking the bait

Section 720.304 (2)(a) of the Florida code , essentially supersedes community rules and allows for the erection of one flag pole of not more than 20' on which one may display an American Flag of not more than 4.5 x 6 feet. and one Florida State flag of the same or smaller size , or one flag of a US military services of similar size. The law does not supersede any other pertinent law rule or regulation preventing flags or signs. No preemption for Trump, Orioles , Ohio State, Mickey Mouse or any other. I contend that flags are really another form of sign and unless they fall under the protection of the cited Florida stature, they are in violation of what ever sign rules may exist and should be removed .
That's how I read it as well but there seems to be some confusion with the C.S. dept because they allow that Goofy flag to fly but not my wife's "Welcome to Summer" Hallmark flag and about 20 others we "imported" from up north. Maybe it's "selective enforcement" as this is a very Disney-centric area.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Obviously the Stars & Stripes are permitted but what is the story with other types of flags flying off your garage outside wall and/or a flag pole?

I have read (on the "other site") that all types of flags are permitted per Florida statutes and someone claimed that the CDD (edit: I mean community standards") said so. Can we hang pictures of birds on flags? Religious flags? Seasonal flags? Political flags?

I always though other than the Stars & Stripes nothing was OK here but now that I read about FL Statutes and have seen some VERY LARGE non-Stars & Stripes flags flying on homes that this is permitted.
I'd like to attach 2 4' x 6' "Welcome To The Rainy Season" flags to my garage. Is that OK?
Chapter Smapture. Put the Flags you want up with a Camera aimed towards the street and you'll find out which way the wind is blowing? If the Camera doesn't capture anyone stopping to take a picture then using the Process of Elimination zero in on which neighbor you think it may be. Probably the one with the biggest smile is the Back Stabber!

Decorative Flags, Expensive Beautiful Bird Statues, Crosses, give me a break. Get a life. Try living your own and leaving other people to live theirs.

Hope you get the real answer to your concern. I know everyone signed something at closing but come on lighten up a bit!

I'm sure the flags you want to fly are in good taste.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
OP asked a sincere question about Community Standards policies on flying flags (other than US Flag).

A number of accusatory and off topic (hedging towards political) posts have been removed.

Please stay on topic.

I have noticed lately that it seems that there is less "lawn art" in the older sections, and I wonder if that area has had a recent change to their deed restrictions, more similar to the newer areas, or that more infractions are being reported and removed...

Like most people who live here I LIKE deed restrictions and find that not all people agree on what is "tasteful" and "pretty". We liked living in a deed restricted area before this one, and found it was helpful in keeping home values safe.

I have no problem with anonymous reporting. I don't think it is sneaky. In fact it is better than in your face confrontations and ruined feelings for others that you will be with at neighborhood get togethers.

BUT if we were all raised the same, it would give no fodder for posts here on this forum and other similar online places.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Chapter Smapture. Put the Flags you want up with a Camera aimed towards the street and you'll find out which way the wind is blowing? If the Camera doesn't capture anyone stopping to take a picture then using the Process of Elimination zero in on which neighbor you think it may be. Probably the one with the biggest smile is the Back Stabber!

Decorative Flags, Expensive Beautiful Bird Statues, Crosses, give me a break. Get a life. Try living your own and leaving other people to live theirs.

Hope you get the real answer to your concern. I know everyone signed something at closing but
ome on lighten up a bit!

I'm sure the flags you want to fly are in good taste.

More slippery slopes=

How about we put up gay rights flags, Nazi flags ,KKK , Hillary in 2020, Three or four flags per pole. If little flags in yards are prohibited then certainly any on poles, but those covered by the Florida law must be a violation.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Once again the merry go round churns away on a less than 1% issue!

I prefer to continue to believe that most people do the right thing most of the time.
In our current instant communication environment, that ALL have access to, makes the 1% or less issue sound much bigger than reality deserves...and the minority (not race!) representation sounds much bigger than it is or deserves.
IMOP
Old 07-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Once again the merry go round churns away on a less than 1% issue!

I prefer to continue to believe that most people do the right thing most of the time.
In our current instant communication environment, that ALL have access to, makes the 1% or less issue sound much bigger than reality deserves...and the minority (not race!) representation sounds much bigger than it is or deserves.
IMOP
If the merry-go-round makes you dizzy simply stay off. I don't quite understand the need for many posters to make posts like that. It is like they are belittling a problem that doesn't affect them just because there aren't many with that same issue (or they just don't speak up). If it affects YOU (generic "you" not "you" personally) then it is a 100% issue and not 1%. Guess we should just stick to the daily dog and bird poop and golf carts go 21mph threads. Rainy day posts I guess.
Closed Thread

Tags
flags, permitted, stripes, statutes, read

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.