What kinds of flags ARE allowed?

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default What kinds of flags ARE allowed?

Obviously the Stars & Stripes are permitted but what is the story with other types of flags flying off your garage outside wall and/or a flag pole?

I have read (on the "other site") that all types of flags are permitted per Florida statutes and someone claimed that the CDD (edit: I mean community standards") said so. Can we hang pictures of birds on flags? Religious flags? Seasonal flags? Political flags?

I always though other than the Stars & Stripes nothing was OK here but now that I read about FL Statutes and have seen some VERY LARGE non-Stars & Stripes flags flying on homes that this is permitted.
I'd like to attach 2 4' x 6' "Welcome To The Rainy Season" flags to my garage. Is that OK?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:12 PM
Sage

This was what I read: “Flags are outside of our realm under Chapter 190,” Fuchs said of the Florida Statute which details the powers – and lack thereof – of community development districts in Florida.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Call Community Standards???
Old 07-11-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

This is a recent incident involving a flag. I never noticed these flags until I saw a story on Fox 35 local news from Orlando. It didn't give the address, only said The Villages. They showed a home and they had a flag pole and the Stars & Strips Flag with a Trump Flag below. The next day I noticed the flag for the first time right on my normal route, on St. Charles by the St. James Pool/mail stop, you're so busy watching for golf carts, walkers, dogs you really don't look up. Fox News said there was a couple of complaints about the Trump Flag, but since he's the President of the United States, there really wasn't anything to complain about and it has stayed.

Last edited by John_W; 07-11-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

I don't know the details or wherewithalls about flags for the most part. But I do know that IF you are flying more than one flag, then the Stars and Stripes needs to be higher than any other, and if they aren't the same size, then the Stars and Stripes has to be the largest of the two (or three, four, etc).
Old 07-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Call Community Standards???
Problem is, they have no "standards". Depends on the time of day with things that are not spelled out clearly and concisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Bait!?!
Not bait, just trying to find what the actual rules are if there actually are any SPECIFIC rules - like "you can't cut down a tree if it's trunk is greater than 4" diameter". That is a clear, concise rule. No argument if they ding you. for that. C.S. is very selective on how their rules "non-black & white" are applied. Wife used to hang these flags about different things ("spring". birds, etc) all the time up north. Stores sold hundreds of different ones. Was told that was not permitted here so never did it. Yes, that Orlando new article made me want to know.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
This is a recent incident involving a flag. I never noticed these flags until I saw a story on Fox 35 local news from Orlando. It didn't give the address, only said The Villages. They showed a home and they had a flag pole and the Stars & Strips Flag with a Trump Flag below. The next day I noticed the flag for the first time right on my normal route, on St. Charles by the St. James Pool/mail stop, you're so busy watching for golf carts, walkers, dogs you really don't look up. Fox News said there was a couple of complaints about the Trump Flag, but since he's the President of the United States, there really wasn't anything to complain about and it has stayed.
That was what led to the question but not the reason. Also the reason it (allegedly) was allowed was Florida statute 190 not because he is POTUS as it was a political flag not a flag with the seal of the POTUS. Don't want to turn this into a politics discussion. Just want equal treatment for all.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
That was what led to the question but not the reason. Also the reason it (allegedly) was allowed was Florida statute 190 not because he is POTUS as it was a political flag not a flag with the seal of the POTUS. Don't want to turn this into a politics discussion. Just want equal treatment for all.
There is no officially-recognized flag of Donald Trump. HIS (personal, non-officially-recognized) flag doesn't fly from the White House or any other federal building.

If his personal non-officially recognized flag is allowed to fly on the same flagpole as the actual federally-recognized Stars and Stripes, then, by extension, any non-officially recognized flag should be allowed to fly on the same flagpole. So a rainbow flag, or a kitten flag, or a summer flag, or a Chairman Mao flag, or a Mussolini flag, or a Jazuela flag, or a Gary Morse flag.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Fly any flag you like.
Find out what your neighbors are like!
Old 07-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Problem is, they have no "standards". Depends on the time of day with things that are not spelled out clearly and concisely.

Not bait, just trying to find what the actual rules are if there actually are any SPECIFIC rules - like "you can't cut down a tree if it's trunk is greater than 4" diameter". That is a clear, concise rule. No argument if they ding you. for that. C.S. is very selective on how their rules "non-black & white" are applied. Wife used to hang these flags about different things ("spring". birds, etc) all the time up north. Stores sold hundreds of different ones. Was told that was not permitted here so never did it. Yes, that Orlando new article made me want to know.
I'm pretty sure you know where to get that information. Not TOTV.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:31 PM

Perhaps the "real" question is, do our rules and regs have jurisdiction over "air space???"
Old 07-11-2019, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Perhaps the "real" question is, do our rules and regs have jurisdiction over "air space???"
Maybe the question is ...... do they have ARC approval for a flag pole?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
There is no officially-recognized flag of Donald Trump. HIS (personal, non-officially-recognized) flag doesn't fly from the White House or any other federal building.
f his personal non-officially recognized flag is allowed to fly on the same flagpole as the actual federally-recognized Stars and Stripes, then, by extension, any non-officially recognized flag should be allowed to fly on the same flagpole. So a rainbow flag, or a kitten flag, or a summer flag, or a Chairman Mao flag, or a Mussolini flag, or a Jazuela flag, or a Gary Morse flag.
I understand that but I am talking about flowers. So then I can have flower flags? I am not talking about ON A POLE WITH US FLAG. I mean by itself attached to my garage. C.S. says NO and C.S. says YES when I ask about a flag with summer flowers on it. I should have asked about a Gary Morse or a Pussy Cat flag. CS says 2 different things on 2 different days. On one call they say NO and on another they say YES because of Florida rule (or statute) 190. If this person can have 2 Goofy flags why can't I have 2 Flower or 2 Bunny Wabbit flags?

Example photo here (NOT my house but one nearby). I just want to hang 2 flags with flowers in the same way as this house hangs Goofy flags.

img_1611-jpg

Last edited by EdFNJ; 07-11-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
I

Example photo here (NOT my house but one nearby). I just want to hang 2 flags with flowers in the same way as this house hangs Goofy flags.

Attachment 80135
Picture looks photoshopped to me.
Steve
Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Picture looks photoshopped to me.
Steve
Really? C'mon now. LOL. Very observant! If I knew how to use Photoshop you'd never be able to tell I used it. The original flags were of 2 nude Sandhill cranes but I didn't want to embarrass anyone for NSFW!
Closed Thread

Tags
flags, permitted, stripes, statutes, read

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.