What are the present conditions in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts
Default What are the present conditions in The Villages

For those of us that are not there but own houses can you please post "factual" conditions of what is happening/observations in The Villages as this event unfolds. We can easily follow CNN and the like but would like to get a first hand perspective of reality in The Villages from our neighbors. Much appreciated. If of any help we had our house get flooded with 35000 gallons of water last year when we were not there. A story for another time. Yes we were devastated. But in hindsight the damage has been repaired and the house as good as or better than it was before the incident. It was stressful but it was only stuff and stuff did get fixed. Please be safe.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:09 PM
Platinum member

Wet and getting wetter plus add a little wind
Old 09-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

RustyP: I can tell you what it is like on Glenview.

Periodic heavy wind and torrential rain, then everything gets very quiet and calm, and then repeat wind and rain. We are all under a tornado WATCH. We have a deep ditch running behind our home on the golf course and that is about half filled with water. We actually have three ducks in it right now.

Bear in mind, the worst of the storm will not come through TV until about midnight tonight. But, I did just see that the storm is now predicted to be a Cat 1 in our area and winds approx. 45mph.

Really, much like a really really bad Northeaster.

UPDATE: Just had an update from Channel 6. Hurricane force winds 95 to 110mph. 13" rain. It is changing constantly.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 09-10-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:37 PM

tornado watch
Old 09-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Platinum member

The tornado watch is for northeast Lake County, not The Villages.
We are having heavy bands of rain and they are now getting more frequent. Lots of tornado warnings on east coast and the most recent were near Sanford and Orlando. The tornado watches seem to be heading northwest. Hope they don't come here. Suppose to be a cat 1 when it reaches us but who knows.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post

Periodic heavy wind and torrential rain, then everything gets very quiet and calm, and then repeat wind and rain. We are all under a tornado WATCH. We have a deep ditch running behind our home on the golf course and that is about half filled with water. We actually have three ducks in it right now.

Bear in mind, the worst of the storm will not come through TV until about midnight tonight. But, I did just see that the storm is now predicted to be a Cat 1 in our area and winds approx. 45mph.

UPDATE: Just had an update from Channel 6. Hurricane force winds 95 to 110mph. 13" rain. It is changing constantly.
Ditto in St. James. The pond alongside Southern Star #4 is starting to get seriously high. I can even see the top of the pond alongside #3 and I've never seen that from my home.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post

Having to deal with it in the dark, especially with any potential tornadoes...is the suckiest part.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
The tornado watch is for northeast Lake County, not The Villages.
Sorry to inform you but the historic section of The Villages is in the town of Lady Lake, Lake County. Albeit on the edge,

Currently we are experiencing some gusting, not anything serious and intermittent heavy rain. I see on radar that a particularly heavy rain area is on the way, next 30 min or so.

Last edited by SFSkol; 09-10-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Sorry to inform you but the historic section of The Villages is in the town of Lady Lake, Lake County. Albeit on the edge,

Currently we are experiencing some gusting, not anything serious and intermittent heavy rain.

I see on radar that a particularly heavy rain area is on the way, next 30 min or so.
It's here.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
It's here.

Or
The Villages Florida
Old 09-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Heavy winds, probably gusting between 20-30 mph. Constant rain but only torrential intermittently. So far, yucky but bearable. Tornadoes the biggest concern.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've been on about 4 Villages weather stations and none have reliable wind speed, either defective equipment or blocked by buildings. I did find one in The Village of Polo Ridge and they have current wind at 25 to 35 with gusts to 42.

The Villages, FL Forecast | Weather Underground
Old 09-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Platinum member

I have discovered one thing going to get rid of Direct TV. It's off more that it's on.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've been on about 4 Villages weather stations and none have reliable wind speed, either defective equipment or blocked by buildings. I did find one in The Village of Polo Ridge and they have current wind at 25 to 35 with gusts to 42.

The Villages, FL Forecast | Weather Underground
Try kvvg
Old 09-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

While it is still working
https://www.wunderground.com/persona...HEVI13#history

will give you ongoing measures of wind speed and direction, rain rate and total, as well as temp, humidity, barometric pressure.

So far 5.2 inches of rain, peak gust in low 30's, barometric pressure going down I think the wind speed is more than what is being recorded by this station.

Tags
villages, conditions, house, stuff, devastated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.