What are some fun, interesting day trips you can make from the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: What are some fun, interesting day trips you can make from the Villages?

Great ideas!!! Where are some of those Spring training cities. I know my wife's Yankees are in Tampa but tickets were impossible to get. Any others closer or easier to get tickets for?

Never gave a thought to Ringling Bros. Sounds like a neat day trip.

I think John's Pass is in Madeira Beach. A lot of shops and restaurants on the inlet to the gulf. Relaxing day.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Sage
Default Re: What are some fun, interesting day trips you can make from the Villages?

One of the Baseball Spring Training Website:

http://www.visitflorida.com/cms/e/boys_of_spring.php
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Great information! We need to keep this topic open. Thanks :bigthumbsup:
Old 10-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Veteran member

;D
one of the best bits of info i have found here!
Larry
Wanabee future TVer
Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the great day trip ideas. We're doing internet follow-up and have several trips planned already. Great information.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 PM

Isn't there a travel club within TV? If not there should be.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Gold member

Hi,

Wonderful set of ideas. We have only toured the West Coast of Florida and found there was one attraction after another. I do not mean amusement parks.

Since we are having a line up of guest visiting us, before we even close on the house, we are looking into what the options are for our potential visitors. Since we are all travellers, and have travelled together, I know there interest and what to search for.

The info on this site will add to my list of "Things to do" while they are visiting us.

Wanted to put down washing windows, floors, ironing etc, but I do not think this will go over to well. ;D

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Sage

Busch Gardens Africa (Tampa): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busch_Gardens_Africa

Cypress Gardens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypress_Gardens

St. Augustine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine%2C_Florida

St. Petersburg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Petersburg%2C_Florida

Suwannee River: http://www.suwanneevalley.org/home.php3

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Don't pass up a chance to see The World Golf Hall of Fame in St Augustine. The largest and most expansive pro shop in the world. The Hall of Fame and Museum are a must see. A fantastic large screen theater is also a must see. The local golf course has been the site of many senior events in the past. I played it once and absolutely loved it. Lots of shopping and restaurants there too. If you stay overnight to better enjoy the area, there is St Augustine itself and the large factory outlets nearby. :#1:
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 10-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Veteran member

Salvatore Dali Museum in St. Pete is fab...worth the trip.
Just don't travel to/from normal rush hour.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Platinum member

This looks like fun weekend. Nov. 10 and 11
The area’s 19th-century past will return for a fun-filled weekend at the Ocali Country Days festival Saturday, November 10 and Sunday, November 11 at the Silver River Museum and Environmental Education Center.

From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day, festival attendees will experience life as it was in 1800’s Marion County through a wide variety of displays and activities. Historical re-enactors will give guests a taste of life on a farmstead from the area, and traditional craft demonstrations will showcase blacksmithing, sugarcane syrup making, woodworking, quilting and spinning, among other period pursuits.

The event will also feature storytellers, folk art, old-time music, food and hard-to-find books from Pineapple Press and University Press of Florida. Guests will have the chance to tour a Civil War encampment, ride a jeep tram through the Silver River State Park and learn about Native American culture from members of the Seminole Tribe of Florida. A live auction will be held at 1 p.m. on Saturday.

The Silver River Museum and Environmental Education Center is part of the Marion County Public School System and includes a variety of displays and hands-on learning opportunities. The museum is found inside Silver River State Park near Silver Springs. Festival guests should enter the park from Baseline Road (County Road 35), which lies one mile south of State Road 40.

IF YOU GO:

WHEN: November 10-11, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

WHERE: The Silver River Museum is located within the Silver River State Park near Silver Springs. Enter the park from Baseline Road (CR 35) one-mile south SR 40. Map Link

ADMISSION: Festival admission is $4 per person with children five and under admitted free. State Park admission and parking are free. All proceeds from the festival will benefit the Silver River Museum’s educational programs.

INFORMATION:More information about the event is available by calling 352-236-5401 or visiting www.SilverRiverMuseum.com.

http://www.silverrivermuseum.com

Tampa, FL
Old 11-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

Central FL has a lot to offer, and many of the events require a "google" to check the dates. Examples of my favorites:

1. Florida's Annual Vietnam and All-Vet's Reunion. Held in Melbourne, FL each year (next is April 24-27, 2008), it's one of the largest (if not THE largest) in the nation.

2. Florida Strawberry Festival. Held in Plant City, FL each year (next is Feb 28 - March 9, 2008)

3. Zellwood Corn Festival. Held in Zellwood, FL each year (usually in the month of May).

4. Mount Dora Art Festival. Held just down the road in Mount Dora (usually in the month of February). One of the best in the country.

5. Winter Park Art Festival. Held in Winter Park, FL which is one of the communities forming Metro Orlando (next is March 14-16, 2008), rivals Mount Dora's event.

6. Biketoberfest. Held in Daytona Beach each year (yep, in October!). Even if you're not into the Biker world, the machines themselves can be works of art - and the people there may actually surprise you!

7. Gasparilla Pirate Events. Held in Tampa, FL (middle-end of January), the event is too complex to describe, but a lot of fun.

8. Blue Spring State Park. Located in Orange City, FL and open year-round. It's one of my favorite manatee-viewing areas and swimming locations (water is always 70-degrees).

9. Crystal River Preserve State Park. Located in Crystal River, FL and open year-round, my other favorite manatee-viewing and swimming locations.

10. 12 hours of Sebring. Auto racing at its best! Sebring, FL is south of Orlando and this internationally acclaimed grand prix event next occurs during march 12,15, 2008.

That's my top ten!
Old 11-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree this is a great post to help identify day trips, I wonder if Jan can make this a sticky?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Sage

I just got a November newsletter from Silver Springs (by Ocala) that has information about their annual pass that costs $55 for seniors. You get free entrance to the park all year and free entrance to all concerts for the year.

Concerts by Willie Nelson, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Brenda Lee, Wayne Newton, America, Tony Orlando, Kenny Rogers, Beach Boys and more. ALL FOR $55 ! ! !

check out this link:

http://www.silversprings.com/tickets.html
Old 11-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca
I just got a November newsletter from Silver Springs (by Ocala) that has information about their annual pass that costs $55 for seniors. You get free entrance to the park all year and free entrance to all concerts for the year.

Concerts by Willie Nelson, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Brenda Lee, Wayne Newton, America, Tony Orlando, Kenny Rogers, Beach Boys and more. ALL FOR $55 ! ! !

check out this link:

http://www.silversprings.com/tickets.html
Good to know Chuckinca. Thanks. Here's a link to the Silver Springs calendar-- http://www.silversprings.com/calendar.html
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.