What are these?

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Gold member
Question What are these?

Over the past year I have noticed in the eaves by my front door mounds of about 1 1/2 inches wide and are gray in color. I am able to knock them down with ease but after I do this there is still some residual "stuff" left on the house. I have not seen any birds or insects around these mounds so have no ideas who builds them or what they are for. Has anyone else seen these and might know what they are. I can't believe that I am the only one who has seen these.

Thanx

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

sounds like Mudd Dauber (type of Wasp) nests

https://www.google.com/search?q=mud+...=li&authuser=0
Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
Over the past year I have noticed in the eaves by my front door mounds of about 1 1/2 inches wide and are gray in color. I am able to knock them down with ease but after I do this there is still some residual "stuff" left on the house. I have not seen any birds or insects around these mounds so have no ideas who builds them or what they are for. Has anyone else seen these and might know what they are. I can't believe that I am the only one who has seen these.

Thanx

John
Since you did not post a picture I would agree that they are mud dauber nests. Just remove them and when you do you might see some wasp looking insects leaving the nests.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Sage

I think (from early childhood memories) that mud daubers look like wasps and build nests like wasps, but they are not wasps and do not sting.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I think (from early childhood memories) that mud daubers look like wasps and build nests like wasps, but they are not wasps and do not sting.
They are a type of wasp and while not aggressive, they can sting.

"Mud dauber (sometimes called "dirt dauber," "dirt digger," "dirt dobber," "dirt diver", or "mud wasp") is a name commonly applied to a number of wasps from either the family Sphecidae or Crabronidae that build their nests from mud. Mud daubers are long, slender wasps about 1-inch (25 mm) in length;[1] the latter two species above have thread-like waists. The name of this wasp group comes from the nests that are made by the females, which consist of mud molded into place by the wasp's mandibles. Mud daubers are rarely aggressive and stings are very uncommon."
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Gold member

This place is absolutely amazing!!!

Thanx

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.